The settlements of St Anthony's Wilderness were initially positioned adjecent to coal mines, forges and sawmills with the exception of Cold Springs. The railroad was next to follow, designed primarily to transport coal to market. When the coal industry failed so did the railroad and soon after the people left. In the end they left mountains stripped of all timber and land scarred by mines. Today, thanks to nature and conservation efforts the valley has renewed itself.
Map showing locations of Dauphin, Ellendale Forge, Rattling Run, Yellow Springs, Cold Springs, Rausch Gap and Gold Mine Run in St Anthony's Wilderness. The red and green shaded areas illustrate PA State Game Lands and State Parks but also represents a small portion of St Anthony's Wilderness today. (May take several moments to open, click "back" when finished)
1852 map of the railroads, Union Canal and coal fields. Library of Congress
A 1875 Map showing the re-naming of the railroad to Schuyllkill & Susquehanna. The Dauphin & Susquehanna Railroad declared bankruptcy in 1852 but continued operation until 1859 when it was purchased and renamed. Note the stations beginning at Dauphin.
The Dauphin & Susquehanna Railroad Route from Dauphin to Ellendale is not well maintained and crosses private property. Near Ellendale there is no bridge to cross Stony Creek. From the cable gate at Ellendale to Gold Mine Road in Lebanon County its easy to navigate (note picture). The road is restricted to foot or bike traffic only. If your accessing from Ellendale a bike is needed due to the distance. Another access is available at Cold Springs by travelling through Ft Indiantown Gap Military Installation and following the signs to Hawk Mountain off Route 443. At the top of the mountain, instead of turning right to Hawk Mountain go straight down the mountain to the clearly marked Game Commission Parking area. Be advised the dirt road in many places is very steep and rough with numerous deep washouts. The picture shows the railroad bed condition from Ellendale (cable gate) to Gold Mine Road. Along the way are numerous items left behind from the railroad days. The two cross like posts are rail holders. If a rail broke, crews were able to easily access a replacement and repair it.
Little is known to date of the railroad's rolling stock. The photograph taken 1866, in Pottsville, shows a 4-4-0 locomotive named the "Lark". It belonged to Schuykill and Susquehanna Railroad. Another locomotive mentioned in writings and similar to the one pictured was called "Judge Hegins" named after one of the early jurists of the Schuylkill County Courts, Charles W. Hegins, appointed 1850. He died about 1855. The locomotive was believed to be owned by the Dauphin and Susquehanna Railroad.
The 1875 map shows the Schuylkill & Susquehanna Railroad (SSRR) merging into the Northern Central Railroad (NCRR) and heading south (to Harrisburg). Within a couple years the NCRR mainline was leased and later sold to the Pennsylvania Railroad (PRR). Where the SSRR merges into the NCRR mainline on the map, the word "Station" is shown. The switching house still stands there today. Just to the left of the station is another dotted curved line indicating a spur line going over the Pennsylvania Canal. In the original 1840 DSRR plan, the rail line was supposed to parallel the canal on an elevated wharf where coal would be transferred from railroad cars to canal barges. The plan never materialized because the Dauphin Tannery Company refused sale or lease of right of way access across their land. In any case the NCRR line continued across the Susquehanna River to Marysville, PA . Historical information indicates the wooden truss bridge caught fire and burned. Some of the stone bridge piers still remain today. One is the platform for the Lady of Liberty statute. Just above the NCRR on the right is what was called the Harrisburg Road. It crosses Stoney Creek into Dauphin. Just above the bridge is the Dauphin Dam. It was built in 1840 as part of the original DSRR plan when they were still considering building a canal in Stoney Creek. The 164 year old dam in 2004 is an excellent example of craftsmanship surviving many severe floods. The NCRR railroad route along Allegheny Street and Harrisburg Road is now a four lane expressway known as Route 322 has been relocated to where the canal is pictured.
Note: Looking for information and pictures of the NCRR Bridge at Dauphin. If you have any information please email me at the link below.
The Dauphin Dam constructed by the Dauphin & Susquehanna Coal Company during the 1840's.
Not including the Dauphin Dam, there are five known dams along Stoney Creek, two located at Cold Spring, one in the vicinity between Rattling Run and Water Tank, and two at Ellendale. Using period maps and physical survey methods, almost all the sites can be identified by remaining stonework and or depressions of where the pool was locked. In addition to maps, there are scattered one line historical mentions of dams damaged by freshets (floods) on January 8, 1841; July 18, 1850; September 1, 1850 (very catastophic), June 2, 1862 that also destroyed Swatara Creek Dam, 1865, 1889 and 1894. These floods are more notable because people inhabited the area and flooding caused damage to property. The dams were abandon throughout the late 1800's when they were no longer useful.
Surveying three dam sites indicates they were of notible size. The Cold Spring Dam had a pool of about 1,600 feet in length, 500 feet wide and 30 to 40 feet deep and held about 240,000,000 gallons of water. The Ellendale Dams were both about 600 to 800 feet in length, 400 feet wide with a depth of about 30 feet. Each dam held about 63,000,000 gallons of water.
Northern Central Railroad Depot at Dauphin. Referencing the map above, the depot was located at the NCRR, SSRR and PRR junction pictured on the far right of the map above. A small switching house still stands today at the Dauphin Dam.
Switching House and the railroad bed now mostly overgrown on its right.
Old railroad signal
Extracted portion of 1875 Map of Middle Paxton Township by E.B. Porter, Civil Engineer illustrating Ellendale. Maps indicate different naming variations for this town. The map above (third from top) refers the the town as Forge, on the left its Ellendale PO and others call it Ellendale Forge. Today it's a private residential area called Ellendale. The reason for the different names reflect the area's usage through time. The forge name orginated in the early 1800's when it was a iron foundry for the DSRR and SSRR and served as a staging site for the construction of the railroad. The 1875 map (pictured left) shows the town had its own post office, sawmill and forge. In addition the Schuylkill & Susquehanna Railroad owned several buildings which formally belonged to the Dauphin & Susquehanna Railroad and used for offices. The two dams were constructed for used by the foundry and sawmill. Its population in 1895 was 45 according to the census of that year. Writings indicate the sawmill remained in operation up to about 1920.
Standing in what was the lake bed, this is one of the water control gates. It most likely diverted water for either the foundry or sawmill.
Foundations of either the foundry or sawmill. The area behind it is backfilled leaving no trace of the structure.
An example of how the Ellendale Forge may have appeared in the 1800's.
From the upper banks of Stony Creek these bridge piers are obscured by overgrowth. A local resident indicated that a railroad spur was located in this vicinity to service the mill and iron works.
The only printed indication of Water Tank is found on a 1872 railroad map. It was named for the wooden water tank constructed at that location to resupply water to passing steam locomotives. The picture is the support foundation. The station was most likely short lived because the railroad's early 4-4-0 locomotives had limited water holding capacity and later locomotives were capable of making longer trips before refueling. A house was situated with the water tank and most likely served as the caretaker residence. Other information indicates a sawmill and small dam was located in this vicinity. The area today is marked by the intersection of Water Tank Trail.
The valley's first coal mine shafts named Reliance and Perservance were located at Rattling Run on Sharp Mountain from about 1825 to 1850 along with two other smaller probe or maintenance shafts called S.E. and North Veins. Prior to the construction of the railroad, coal was hauled down the mountain by horse pulled wagons possibly along Stagecoach Road, now a State Game Land maintenance road.
Devils Race Course. The bog is the watershed for Rattling Run and begins on top of Sharps Mountain.
The Devils Race Course develops into a long lake on top of Sharp Mountain. The first time I saw this I had to re-check my map twice. Its hard to imagine this running along a mountain ridge. The swamp was first noted in a 1840 surveyor's report for the Dauphin & Susquehanna Coal Company. The area is accessable by way of a maintenance road. Old journals refer to it as a branch of the Center Turnpike, used by British soldiers during the French and Indian War. In the 1800's it was known as the Stage Coach Road. The road supposedly connected Harrisburg to Pottsville.
Minehead at Yellow Springs closed about 1859 when its resources were depleted and its owner, the Dauphin & Susquehanna Coal Company went bankrupt. There were two operating coal shafts in this area named Kugler and Central Veins.
J. Peter Wilshushen was a geologist with the Pennsylvania Geologic Survey for 25 years, he hiked the A.T., maintained a section and was the author of the book Geology of the Appalachian Trail in Pennsylvania "The tower and other engineering structures associated with coal mining in the vicinity of Rausch Gap and Yellow Springs were carefully examined in the field as part of the preparation for Geology of the Appalachian Trail in Pennsylvania." "All of the structural remains, such as the railroad, bridge piers, locomotive maintenance pits, wheel house foundations, building foundations and mine entrance indicate good engineering practice. The stone tower at Yellow Springs is adjacent to an engine foundation next to an inclined coal mine entrance. Although now filled with rubble and decay, the tower remains indicate that it was a chimney, functioning as shown in the sketch below. If it had been a tower for a haulage system there would have been horizontal stresses on this relatively light masonry structure which probably would have caused it to fail." "Adequate ventilation of deep mines in an engineering problem that has been met in various ways throughout mining history. Methods have ranged from building fires in the mines (a dangerous practice with coal) to the excavation of ventilating shafts and installation of large fans. The method used at Yellow Springs fits the technology of the time." "Special Thanks to Mr. Gary Bruner who provided me a copy of the article goes on to explain, "a cast iron pipeline which runs deep into the mine and connects to the base of the chimney (the tower). As the fire in the steam engine boiler burns, its exhaust also flows into the chimney tower. This creates a draft up the chimney which also pulls air from the pipe. It does not appear that the mine air via the pipe is used for combustion in the boiler, although that might be the case. Fresh air from the mine entrance then must make its way back to the end of the mine where the cast iron pipe ends, to replace the air being drawn up through the pipe." Mr. Bruner also states, "You can see a portion of the pipe at the collapsed mine entrance. The steam engine was used to run the hoist that pulled the mine cars up from the shaft."
Stone Tower Article by J. Peter Wilshusen that appeared in the Summer 1984 newsletter of the Keystone Trails Association (KTA), page 8
Stone Tower today. Its height has been reduced by time collapsing inwards and closing the chimney. Over the past 20 years the tower has begun to develop a lean as the mortar to erodes away.
Upper section of Yellow Spring Incline (Trail). The incline was used to lower coal in carts down to the S&S Railroad. Imagine the work force required to hand pick and lay the rocks keeping in mind they didn't have the power equipment we know today. Left of this trail (not pictured) is Yellow Spring Creek. It starts inside the old coal mine and runs yellow of sulfur.
The lower section of Yellow Spring Trail. This section of the trail is badly eroded by years of Yellow Spring Creek flooding. I suspect the lower section will be completely gone in a couple years.
Large sink hole depressions near the Stone Tower. In 1999 a shaft was found in the bottom of the depression and open down another 20-30 feet underground. Markings were found on the inside wall indicating old chiseling activity. On a more recent trip the shafts had reclosed themselves with rock and silt from erosion. On a special note, if you find any of these open shafts DO NOT ENTER! It's for your own saftey!
The shaft from a different angle. To better realize the proportion and depth, take note to the individual wearing a red garment.
The old rusted hull of an early gas-powered shovel. It's legendary name "General" appears on the rear cast iron panel. The manufacturer was General Excavator Company who ceased production sometime in the 1920's. The location where the shovel rests is overgrown by trees. Excavation scars can still be seen in the area. The site is suspected to have been a gravel quarry for local use.
J. Peter Wilshushen was a geologist with the Pennsylvania Geologic Survey for 25 years, he hiked the A.T., maintained a section and was the author of the book Geology of the Appalachian Trail in Pennsylvania
"The tower and other engineering structures associated with coal mining in the vicinity of Rausch Gap and Yellow Springs were carefully examined in the field as part of the preparation for Geology of the Appalachian Trail in Pennsylvania."
"All of the structural remains, such as the railroad, bridge piers, locomotive maintenance pits, wheel house foundations, building foundations and mine entrance indicate good engineering practice. The stone tower at Yellow Springs is adjacent to an engine foundation next to an inclined coal mine entrance. Although now filled with rubble and decay, the tower remains indicate that it was a chimney, functioning as shown in the sketch below. If it had been a tower for a haulage system there would have been horizontal stresses on this relatively light masonry structure which probably would have caused it to fail."
"Adequate ventilation of deep mines in an engineering problem that has been met in various ways throughout mining history. Methods have ranged from building fires in the mines (a dangerous practice with coal) to the excavation of ventilating shafts and installation of large fans. The method used at Yellow Springs fits the technology of the time."
"Special Thanks to Mr. Gary Bruner who provided me a copy of the article goes on to explain, "a cast iron pipeline which runs deep into the mine and connects to the base of the chimney (the tower). As the fire in the steam engine boiler burns, its exhaust also flows into the chimney tower. This creates a draft up the chimney which also pulls air from the pipe. It does not appear that the mine air via the pipe is used for combustion in the boiler, although that might be the case. Fresh air from the mine entrance then must make its way back to the end of the mine where the cast iron pipe ends, to replace the air being drawn up through the pipe."
Mr. Bruner also states, "You can see a portion of the pipe at the collapsed mine entrance. The steam engine was used to run the hoist that pulled the mine cars up from the shaft."
The region's written history traces back to about 1775 and noted for its cold spring water. Reverend Coberson is believed to be one of the early land owners around 1770. The land was later purchased by the Jesuit Priest Church for development as St. Joseph College. It appears they abandon the idea after a year or two. William Lerch Sr., believed to be the next owner, is thought to have developed the land and constructed several structures. The first hotel is thought to be one of these structures.
In 1880 the land was sold to a business partnership that built the second hotel, cottage, bowling alley and converted a barn into a dance house. John Hower, a newspaper columnist and researcher indicates in "May 1881, Frank Leib, an agent with the Philadelphia and Reading Coal and Iron Company, wrote to Henry Tracy, the superintendent of the S&S Railroad and the Lebanon and Tremont branch of the Philadelphia and Reading Railroad, that the summer resort at Cold Spring was nearing completion and a depot was needed for passengers. ...you will oblige us by making an effort to erect it as speedily as possible. We expect to open on the place for guests on June 15th," Leib wrote. This indicates the beginning of Cold Spring as a resort. C.N. Blackwell and later F. Grosch both operated (owned?) the resort and experienced financial difficulties over its fourteen year course. The mountain resort appeared to be somewhat popular but never really attracted sufficient customers to keep the business prospering year round. On 14 October 1899, the 80 acre estate was posted for Public Sale. Excerpts from the advertisement,”improvements consist of two large hotel buildings, one large cottage, 1 farm house”. The hotel and other adjoining structures burned on Saturday 22 September 1900. The event appeared in the Lebanon Daily News on Monday, 24 September 1900.
During the early 1900's a water bottling company tapped Cold Spring and sent its sweet mineral water to market to be sold for therapeutic purposes. Rusted iron pipes and shards of glass bottles at still can be found of their operation.
The YMCA opened Shand Boys Camp beginning sometime in the 1920’s and lasted up to a time prior to WW II. Photographs, advertisements and records show that the boys were transported to camp by rail train.
WW II brought a new purpose to the region. The U.S. Army purchased the tract of land and named it Cold Spring Military Reservation. It served as a special training annex to Camp Edward Martin now Ft Indiantown Gap. Bivouac and paratrooper training was conducted in and around Dresden Lake.
After the war, military training at the site was abandon. The military still owns the land today and recently has considered a land exchange with the City of Harrisburg. Other adjoining land tracts were sold on 13 August 1945 by the Grandview Development Company to the Pennsylvania Game Commission becoming State Game Lands #211.
1875 Map of Cold Spring.
19th century engraving by Moss Engineering Co, NY of Cold Spring Park that appeared in a advertisement by F. Grosch. It illustrates a pre 1900 era when Cold Spring was at its height of popularity as a resort. The Cold Spring Road is still used today to access State Game Land 211. The open area right of the road was the site of the original farm. Later in the 1920's this area was known as YMCA's Shand Boys Camp where open bunk shelters stood in what is now the open field next to the parking area. Making a right at the road intersection leads to Rausch Gap. Turning left was first a Bowling Alley followed by Office / Caretakers House, two hotels and a guest cottage. The spring and bath house is located at the the lake edge. The road leading toward Sharp Mountain is where Cold Spring Station and Schuylkill & Susquehanna Railroad is situated. The road continues (difficult to see) up the mountain and most likely began as a logging trail. It's interesting to note that the mountain at that time was void of all trees, stripped by the railroad and mining companies for construction. The engraving is fairly accurate and can be used to physically locate almost all the pictured structure foundations
Dresden Lake Dam breast on Stony Creek at Cold Spring constructed about 1876. The dam failed at its spillway during the 1972 Hurricane Agnes Flood. The name can still be found on some current topographic maps despite it being just a stream and its banks overgrown with vegetation.
There were two dams and lakes at Cold Spring. Above the dam breast standing today (pictured) was Dresden Lake. It's location was still on topographic maps up to 1976. The vast swamp below it was Comey Lake. A faint outline of the lakes original outline can still be seen on 1999 orthographic images of the area. Physical survey of the area also reveals the original water line and bank indicated by soil deposits and vegetation growth. Comey Lake Dam remains (pictured) can be identified where the swamp narrows back to a stream. Little is know about Comey Lake. It was most likely constructed after 1872 and the suspected earthen dam failed sometime after 1900. The lake was most likely created for aesthetics and recreation at Cold Spring.
Comey Lake. The once large lake has filled with silt and natural debris from years of flooding and erosion turning it into a swamp. The estimated water level was about twenty feet higher based on studies.
Protected by tree roots and vegetation this is remnants of Comey Lake Dam. The dam was most likely of earthen and rock construction due to the fact there is no stoneworks like that of Dresden Dam. The dam must have been high based on the size of the swamp it left behind.
This is the approximate location of Comey Lake spillway. The Stony Creek water flow returns to it normal run.
Downstream and looking at the remains of Comey Lake Dam.
Comey Lake today. At the turn of 1900's this must have been a large beautiful lake.
Bowling Alley foundation.
An overall view of the actual Cold Spring site. Years of development by various owners led to the clearing and landscaping of this area. Imagine gentlemen topped with black stovepipe hats and ladies wearing long bustled dresses strolling through the shady grove of Cold Spring on a summer day.
1851 rendering of Springhouse at Cold Spring by William Rank. Compare to foundations in previous picture.
Spring walk-in. I haven't been able to re-locate it in recent years. Suspect it has been covered over.
Early historical sources dating back to 1775 tell of the spring and its cold water even in the heat of summer. Plumbing (note pipes) was installed by a bottling company sometime in the early 1900's to capture and bottle the mineral water and transport it to market as far away as Philadelphia. Three hundred years later the water continues to flow and it still tastes good! Still recommend using a purifying system before drinking!
The large foundation is where the bath house stood. When the Jesuit Priests owned the land they constructed a bath house of which they noted was too cold for bathing. No evidence is available to tell if the foundations is of their handcraft. They abandon the area because it was too remote.
Looking in the opposite direction of the bath house foundation (previous picture) is Comey Lake or should I say swamp? One hundred years ago this would have been a large lake less the trees and growth.
Steps to what was the front door of the caretakers house.
Opposite of the above picture, the foundation was the original farm house and later was converted to the Caretakers House. Pictures of which I've been unable to obtain show this as a two story structure much like of an old farm house seen in the local country side.
Stone wall opposite from the front steps of the caretakers house. This was a retaining wall around the hotel front yard.
Entrance steps to the hotel. Imagine a horse and buggy waiting nearby and a gentleman in a stovepipe tophat and lady with long white dress climbing these steps.
First hotel foundation believed to be constucted in the early 1800's by Jesuit Priest's for their college.
Second hotel foundation thats closely adjoins the first hotel. Constructed about 1840-50.
Cropped image of a framed watercolor dated "July 20, 1851" and signed "W. Rank" of the first hotel. It's on display at the Stoy Museum in Lebanon.
Photograph of hotels taken in the 1890's. Note the ladies in long dresses. Viewing the above pictures of overgrown rocky terrain and its difficult to imagine this resort once stood.
Comparing the last article with this one, its obvious that the public sale of 14 October 1899 almost a year earlier never happened. Speculation has it that the fire was intentionally set to collect insurance money. In any case, the hotel was never rebuilt and the thoughts of a resort faded into history.
Was this foundation a well or outhouse?
Its overall depth is about 8 to 10 feet. Water is only 2 feet deep.
Stone retaining wall below the Cold Spring Road.
The Cold Spring Railroad Station. The photograph was probably taken in the late 1930's when Camp Shand was in operation. Photo courtesy of Francis Ditzler. Railroads of Lebanon County - A Pictorial and Descriptive History by Donald L. Rhoads and Robert A. Heilman, Lebanon County Historical Society, Published October, 2000, pgs 178 and 179.
The Cold Spring Railroad Station. Photograph taken February 1985.
Special Thanks to Mr. Don Rhoads for the following information.
During the winter of 1989, vandals attached chains to the forward posts and drove away damaging the station. (Lebanon Daily News, June 5, 1990). In the spring of 1990, a local cabinet maker stepped forward to help restore the station, but the PA Game Commission was not in favor of the idea. (Lebanon Daily News, June 5, 1990) So, it stood for a time in damaged condition. It was later determined that the Lebanon County Historical Society would be interested in moving it to the Union Canal Tunnel site. Well, I believe before arrangements could be made The PA Game Commission with the aide of a National Guard Engineering Unit tried to move it and well, it fell apart. The pieces were taken to the dump at Ft. Indiantown Gap and luckily Francis Ditzler, a local historian of Lickdale, PA found out about it, and was granted permission to go to the dump. A morning in July of 1993, Francis Ditzler, and a group of us went to the dump and salvaged what we could. It was truly a shame. Anyhow, portions of the original station materials were re-erected in the Lebanon County Historical Society as a permanent exhibit to the station and the area. The exhibit was dedicated on March 22, 1994.
The Cold Spring Railroad Station with Doodlebug. The Doodlebug was a passenger and baggage railcar powered by an internal combustion engine coupled to an electric motor that propelled it. Photo courtesy of Francis Ditzler. Railroads of Lebanon County - A Pictorial and Descriptive History by Donald L. Rhoads and Robert A. Heilman, Lebanon County Historical Society, Published October, 2000, pgs 178 and 179.
Rear view of the station. Photograph taken February 1985.
Portions of the orginal Cold Spring Station at Stoy Museum, Lebanon County Historical Society located on 924 Cumberland Street, Lebanon, PA 17042. Website is located at http://www.lebanonhistory.org/index.html Its a great place to visit and learn more about Lebanon County history!
In 1929 Ft Indiantown Gap was established nearby and served served as basic training camp during WW II. During this time the military came in and leveled any remaining structures at Cold Spring and the US Army established Cold Spring Military Reservation. The area was used for paratroop and special training until a drowning accident occurred at Dresden Lake. In following years information indicates the open field at State Game Parking lot was a military landfill. Cold Spring Military Reservation boundary is illustrated on revised 1972 USGS topographical maps.
During these years the Cold Spring area was off limits to the civilian population. A story told to me by an elderly gentleman years ago told of this era when the SSRR was still operating. Around midnight he would back his locomotive up to box cars. The train was boarded by military soldiers (guards) and he run the train up to Cold Spring and Ft Indiantown Gap. He never knew exactly what was in the boxcars but suspected they carried parachutes, ammunition and othe items to support the war effort. He and fellow engineers called this the "Sugar Shit Run".
Rausch Gap was the largest coal mining site in St Anthony's Wilderness. In 1840 there were nine mines named Small, Grey, Heister, Seven, Four, Windlas, Dan's, Bill's and Pitch Shafts. The main slope (mine) was believed to be the longest in the county at the time measuring 1,800 yards long. Schuykill County history indicates a colliery was opened one year prior to the foreclosure of Dauphin & Susquehanna Railroad. Remnants of it can still be seen today. A village of the same name had a population of about 250 although some believe it was closer to 1000. Rausch Gap remained in operation until about 1880. The picture, not of Rausch Gap, is a typical colliery found in the region during that era.
Typical breaker interior
Work in the collieries was hazardous especially to the young immigrant boys hired to hand process coal. Their days averaged 10-12 hours and the work was very hard and dirty compared to any labor standards. Inside the colliery the air was thick with coal dust, it lacked heat and offered little comfort. This was a time when child labor laws were non-existent and the boys were required to meet the same quota as men. This quota was managed by a boss who walked around with a stick used to prod the boys if they lagged. On occasion they were known to beat boys to near death to set the example.
A typical late 1880-1900 mine entrance. The cable system powered by a stationary steam boiler was used to pull coal cars to the surface.
Early mine interior.
Numerous stone foundations are located throughout the Rausch Gap area. A map from the Report on the History of the Rausch Gap Area by Claude H. Schach illustrates the areas layout. Although the picture was not taken at Rausch Gap, the 1854 miners home shows the approximate size and type of structure commonly found in mining towns throughout the area.
Rausch Creek. Scenic in appearance, the water is heavy with sulfur from leaching mines.
Rausch Creek Railroad bridge built in the 1850's.
Rausch Gap Cemetery. It's the final resting place for Andrew Allen who died June 9, 1854 from a mining accident at nearby Gold Mine Gap, John Proud, died May 18, 1854 and Catherine Blackwood, 1 year old infant who died June 16, 1854. Other crude rocks with no inscriptions stand nearby. It's possible more unmarked interments are here.
Old water well at Rausch Gap. Old stone foundations nearby indicate this was a farm.
Many believe this was the site of a gold mine. The name Gold Mine Run most likely came from a miners dream of finding a productive vein of black gold or coal. Gold Mine Run was the property of Philadelphia & Reading Coal and Iron Company in the late 1800's who had four drifts called Peacock, Grey, Heister and Four. Coal was moved from the mines to the mainline by coal wagons drawn by mules on a half to one mile long narrow gauge railhead. In later years their operation moved to the opposite side of the mountain where extensive strip mining was done. Gold Mine is easily accessed from Gold Mine Road off Route 443.
I have been exploring and researching St Anthony's Wilderness for 30+ years. During this time the forest has changed by growth and many historical sites have become obscure. If during your excursions you come across something of intrest that looks like it has possible historical value please try to obtain a GPS coordinate and email it to me with notes or pictures of what you observed. I have a great deal of written information of early homesteads and activities that I have not been able to locate and the information may be of great assistance. Thank You!