The relationship of the JAMES family and the STARK family, Eire County, Ohio, from 1859 on
Summary of the JAMES-STARK Connection
- William T JAMES married Mary Stark in Feb,1859.
sister, Sarah Lucinda, married Lewis STARK in June,1859.
- William and Sarah are children of Henry and Abigail JAMES.
Mary STARK and Lewis STARK are brother and sister.
William T JAMES, born 1834
- William died Sept 3rd or 4th, 1862.
- William T is son of Henry & Abigail JAMES.
- Married Mary STARK 02 Feb 1859
- Son, Elmer JAMES, born 1860
- William was killed in the battle of Corinth, Mississippi, part of the battle at Shiloh battlefield.
- it is believed William is buried at Shiloh, but I have not found any documentation.
Mary STARK JAMES, born 1840
- Mary died November 27, 1876
- Born in Bloomingville, Oxford Twnshp, Erie Co. Ohio
- Married William T JAMES 02 Feb 1859
- Died in 1876 at age 37, a few weeks before her son,Elmer's, 18th birthday
- Executor of Mary's estate was George Dempster BEATTY, husband of Mary's cousin, Viola JAMES BEATTY.
Elmer JAMES, born 1860, date of death 1918
- The 1860 census shows the son of William and Mary as what appears as "simon" or similar name.
- The 1870 census clearly shows the name as Elmer.
- according to his mothers newspaper obituary, Elmer left home a few weeks before his mothers
death, and was not present for the funeral.
- James D. Chamberlain, a local city official, was appointed guardian of Elmer, who was 17 at the time of Mary's death
- Elmer married Julia Warren, originally from Kansas, in Wasco County, Oregon.
- Elmer and Julia had 7 children;
- Two died in early childhood and are buried in Washougal, Washington.
- Benjamin W,
- Mary and
- Elmer and Julia lived at Cape Horn, a rural area on the north shore of the Columbia River, about 25 miles east of Portland.
- Julia died around 1914 due to illness.
- Elmer was killed in 1918 in a railroad construction accident while building a logging railroad along Tide Creek
- Tide Creek is near the town of St.Helens, in Columbia County, Oregon.
- Elmer is buried at the same cemetery in Washougal, Washington.
- After Elmer's death, his son Ben lived with Julia's parents while daughters Abigail and Mrytle lived with and were later adopted by Julia's sister, Maude Gregg and her husband, Mark.
Lewis STARK, born Dec 24, 1836
- Lewis died April 30, 1920 at age 83.
- Married Leucinda JAMES 11 June 1859
- Father of 12 children.
- Lewis is buried at Sand Hill Cemetery, Erie Co., Ohio
read Lewis Stark's obituary
- Lewis's (& Mary's) father was Aaron Stark, probably born in New York, Their mother was Polly Hunt, born in New York.
- Lewis' sister, Mary, married William T JAMES
Sarah Leucinda JAMES STARK, born 1840
- Daugher of Henry & Abigail JAMES.
- Preferred to be called "Sarah", which is the name on her gravestone.
Lewis and Sarah STARK's children:
- daughter Flora STARK as born in 1859.
- Flora married Jerome Hoffner
- Jerome was born in 1857 and died in 1928.
- Flora died April 27, 1938.
- Flora and Jerome are buried in Sand Hill Cemetery, Erie County, Ohio.
- Flora and Jerome did not have any children.
- Read Jerome Hoffner funeral notice
- son Alva STARK was born in 1861 .
- Alva married Martha Pfaff about 1885.
- Martha was born 1866, died Nov 21, 1941.
- Alva and Martha had three children
- Lily, born in 1889
- Hilda E, born in 1892.
- the third child's info is being researched
- Alva died on Sept. 13,1932
- Martha died Nov. 21, 1941.
- Alva and Martha are buried in Sand Hill Cemetery.
- daughter Susie Stark, born 1862, died 1863.
- Susie is buried in Sand Hill Cemetery, Erie County, Ohio.
- son Abijah STARK, known as Bige, was born in 1864.
- Bige married Emma J Brunow, born in 1878.
- Bige and Emma had two daughters, Elenora and Lucinda.
- Elenora C, born Sept 24, 1915. She died June 18, 2006.
- Elenora married Harry Meagrow
- Harry Meagrow was born Feb 19, 1916, died April 29, 1997
- Elenora and Harry lived in Norwalk, Huron County, Ohio
- Lucinda Sarah, also known as Sarah S, was born about 1901.
- Lucinda married Frank Bintz in 1921.
- Frank and Lucinda had two daughters, Mary and Lucille
- Mary was born in 1923
- Lucille was born in 1925
- Lucinda Stark Bintz died July 21, 1943, age 42.
- Frank Bintz died April 16, 1958, age 68
- Bige Stark died Aug 12, 1943.
- Emma Brunow Stark died in 1956.
- Bige and Emma are buried in Sand Hill Cemetery.
- daughter Myrtie STARK was born in 1867
- Myrtle married Charles Penfield about 1901.
- Charles H Penfield was born in 1873.
- Charles' parents are Henry and Sarah Penfield of Oxford Township, Erie County, Ohio.
- Myrtle and Charles had four children
- A daughter, Blanche Penfield, was born April 13, 1903.
- Blanche Penfield married Francis G Ernst about 1924.
- Francis was also known as F.G.
- F.G. was a railroad brakeman.
- Blanche and F.G. had one child, Robert.
- Robert F Ernst was born in summer, 1925.
- Robert enlisted in the US Army on Nov. 19, 1943.
- Robert may have married a woman named Coonce.
- Robert had one child, Robert F. Jr., born June 11, 1947.
- Robert F Ernst, Jr. died May 10, 1997.
- Robert F. Ernst, Jr. never married.
- F.G. Ernst died prior to 1969.
- Blanche Penfield died on May 14, 1969, age 66.
- A daughter, Ruby Penfield, was born in 1906.
- In 1930, Ruby, 24, was living with her mother and her brother at home in Milan, Ohio.
- A son, Lewis Henry Penfield, was born in 1909.
- In 1930, Lewis, 20, lived at home with his mother, 63, and his sister Ruby, 24.
- A daughter, Martha Penfield, was born in 1913.
- It appears Martha died between the 1920 census and the 1927 death of her father.
- Myrtle and Charles may be the true parents of Richard Stark, born out of wedlock to Myrtle in 1893.
- Richard was raised by Myrtle's parents, Lewis and Sarah Stark.
- Charles Penfiled died Dec. 9, 1927, in Toledo, Ohio at age 56.
- Charles' obituary stated he was survived by Myrtle, Lewis, Blanche and Ruby.
- Myrtle's date of death and burial site is being investigated.
- daughter Elmetie STARK b 1870 married Christ Arheit.
- Christ died Sept 30, 1909 at age 42 years, 11 months
- Elmetie and Christ had a daughter, Flora
- Flora Hall had one son, Norman Hall, born about 1915
- Flora was widowed between 1915 and 1920.
- The 1920 census shows Flora, age 27, a widow and Norman, age 5, living with Elmetie, age 49, also a widow, on Sherman Street in Sandusky, Ohio.
- The 1930 census shows Flora, 37, Norman, 15 and Elmetie, 60, still living together on Sherman Street
- Flora's occupation is listed as a folder at an underwear factory.
- Elmetie Arheit died Feb 24, 1938.
- son Harry STARK born Dec 23, 1872.
- Harry married Estella Marie Andrea Carver Fogg on March 28, 1899.
- Estella was the daughter of Andrew Carver and Elizabeth Likely
- Estella was also known as Stella
- Stella was born on January 24, 1874 in Michigan.
- Stella had one son, Robert Fogg, born April 4, 1898, from her previous marriage.
- Harry and Stella had 6 children
- Esther A Stark, born March 8, 1901,
- Stella's 1943 obituary lists Mrs. Esther Shannon, of Ft. Wayne, Indiana.
- Esther divorced Mr. Shannon.
- Esther later married Bob Hoover.
- Ada C Stark, born Sept. 21, 1907.
- Ada married a Mr. Meehan and they had one daughter named Pearl.
- Ada died April 3, 1929 and is buried in Graves Cemetery near Castalia, Ohio.
- Luella Sarah Stark, born Nov 30, 1910
- Luella married Carl Smiley.
- Luella and Carl did not have any children.
- Bertha Oliva Stark, born August 9, 1912
- Bertha married Frank Marx on June 28, 1934.
- Bertha died Nov 16, 2002, at age 90.
- Bertha and Frank Marx had one son, Jon.
- William Barry Stark, born March 26, 1914
- William died in June 1997 in Castalia, Ohio
- William is buried at Graves Cemetery, Castalia, Ohio.
- William married Jean Patricia Wilkinson on April 9, 1943.
- Jean was born in Leduc, Alberta on August 15, 1925. Jean died in July, 2003.
- William and Jean had two children,
- Patricia Kay Stark Bernier, 1944-2004
- Patricia married Paul Bernier in 1964
- Patricia and Paul have three children
- Heather Cecelia Stark, born in 1949.
- Heather married JH Brunsman on March 20, 1971. They divorced.
- Heather has two children
- Jessie James Stark, born 1916,
- Jessie Stark married John H. Colvin on Nov 21, 1936.
- Jessie and John Colvin had four children
- Kenneth, John Jr., Nancy and Janet
- John Colvin died Dec 1, 2000 at age 82.
- Stella died on Oct. 10, 1943.
- Harry Stark died in September, 1946
- Harry is buried in Ransom, Michigan.
- son Issac STARK, born Feb, 1873, never married.
- son William STARK was born in May, 1876.
- William was deaf.
- William died June 18, 1909 when he stepped off a streetcar in Sandusky, Ohio and was struck by a streetcar running on the next track.
- It was reported that William never married.
- William is buried in Sand Hill Cemetery.
- son Roland STARK, born April, 1879.
- Roland married Helena, who was born in 1882.
- Roland and Helena had two sons, Harold and Robert.
- Harold O Stark was born in 1903, died in 1969
- Robert R Stark was born in 1905, died in 1949.
- Harold and Robert are both buried in Sand Hill Cemetery.
- Helena died in 1967.
- Roland died August 3, 1975.
- Roland and Helena are buried in Sand Hill Cemetery
- son Aaron STARK was born Feb.4, 1882. He spelled his surname STARKS.
- Aaron married Anna in 1912 or 1913
- Aaron and Anna had six children
- a son, Lawerence A Starks, born about 1913.
- a daughter, Leona Starks, born about 1914.
- a son, William L Starks, born August 10, 1916.
- William L Starks died August 5, 1994, in Hopkinton, Iowa.
- a daughter, Francis F, Starks, born about 1917.
- a daughter, Pearl M. Starks, born about 1919,and
- a daughter, Dorothy Jean Starks, born in 1926.
- in 1910 Aaron was a teamster at a quarry in Sandusky.
- in 1920 and 1930 Aaron's occupation was laborer at a cement mill.
- Anna died Nov 27, 1970 in Castalia, Erie County, Ohio.
- Aaron died May 19, 1969 in Castalia, Erie County, Ohio.
- daughter Maudie Stark, born 1884
- Maudie died in late 1884.
- Maudie is buried in Sand Hill Cemetery, Erie County, Ohio.
- son Sydney STARK born April, 1888.
- Richard H. STARK, born April, 1893
- Richard married Edna Coffman in 1920.
- Richard and Edna had three children, Richard Jr, James and Russel.
- Son Richard H. Jr. was born in 1924
- Son James D Stark was born about 1926 or 1927.
- Son Russel Stark was born about 1928 or 1929.
- Edna Coffman Stark died in March, 1972, in Milan, Erie County, Ohio.
- Richard may be the true son of Myrtle Stark and Charles Penfield.
- Richard's 1975 obituary stated he was survived by a half-brother, Luke Penfield.
- It is speculated that Luke Penfield and Lewis Penfield are the same person.
- Richard Stark died Sept. 9, 1975.
- Read Richard Stark's obituary
JAMES, Part 1
JAMES, Part 2a
JAMES, Part 2b
JAMES, Part 2c
JAMES, Part 3
JAMES, Part 4
JAMES, Part 5