Bolshevik (USSR)

Bolshevik engines were built at an existing factory building in Leningrad, USSR (see VK). The engineer for the factory was L. Y. Palmen and the horizontally-opposed engine built there had the designation AMB-20, for Aviatsionniy Motor Bolshevika. Other much larger engines of unknown configuration were designed and partially built, but never completed.

O-59 -- {3.150 / 3.780 / 58.9} / {80 / 96 / 965}

2cyl; AMB-20; 30-35hp@N/A rpm; 1925-1928; Wt = 71#.
Only one prototype engine was built and it was used in the Application from 1928 to 1931.
BGR (Application, only); VK.
Application: (USSR) LAKM-1 lightplane.


GAZ No.2 Ikar (USSR)

GAZ No.2 Ikar engines were built in Moscow, USSR (see VK). The designer of the HOAE below was A. A. Bessonov and it had the designation M-7, also AB-20. Other much larger V-12 and W-18 engines were designed, built, and used in prototype aircraft, but never reached series production.

N/A (2-Stroke) -- {N/A / N/A / N/A} / {N/A / N/A / N/A}

2cyl; M-7, AB-20; 15hp@N/A rpm; 1923-1925; Wt = N/A.
No further details except that it was direct drive. An improved, 30hp version was discussed, but not built.
Applications: None found.


Ivchyenko (USSR)

A. G. Ivchyenko was the head of the OKB-478 design bureau from 1945, when the Zaporozhye, USSR factory was liberated from the German occupation and designated Factory No. 478 (see VK). His bureau designed, developed, and built single-row radial engines for helicopters and training aircraft, e.g., the well-known M-14 (AI-14) series. Radial engine production was moved to Voronezh in 1960. In 1948, the HOAE described here was designed to power a Kamov light helicopter design, but no production followed.

N/A -- {N/A / N/A / N/A} / {N/A / N/A / N/A}

4cyl; Ivchyenko AI-4, AI-4B, AI-4G, AI-4V (M-4GR); 55hp@4500rpm; 1948-1955; Wt = N/A.

Engine series designed specifically for the Kamov light helicopter; mounted horizontally and geared to drive a vertical shaft, with forced air cooling by a fan that also had a vertical axis. The engines had a clutch for starting and free running.
BGE; BGR; J57-58toJ59-60; VK.
Applications: (USSR) Kamov Ka-10, Ka-10M light helicopters (AI-4G version).


Kolosov (USSR)

Kolosov engines were built at Factory No. 16 in Voronezh, USSR (see VK). The chief designer for the factory was S. D. Kolosov from late 1937. He also led the planned production, under license, of Renault light aircraft engines. Kolosov was greatly involved in the production of military engines during WWII, including evacuating production in late 1941 to Kazan before Voronezh was occupied by German troops.

O-192 -- {3.937 / 3.937 / 191.7} / {100 / 100 / 3142}

4cyl; M-16; 60-65hp@N/A rpm; 1939-1941; Wt = 176#.
Engine similar in appearance to US HOAE of the time; developed for planned large-scale lightplane production for flying clubs. Prototype engine was built and run, but power was down from the 70hp and the weight was up from the 165# promised. The German invasion of June 1941 precluded further development.
Applications: None found.


Stulov (USSR)

E. E. Stulov of the USSR is reported by Kotelnikov (VK) to have modified an unspecified marine engine into a two-cylinder, four-stroke cycle HOAE. No further information is known to the Compiler, including the approximate date of the conversion.


Kvasnikov, Tuzhkut (USSR)

Professor A. V. Kvasnikov of the Siberian Polytechnic Institute in Tomsk, USSR, led a group of students during 1927 in the development of a two-cylinder, four-stroke cycle, 20-24 hp HOAE. Major components came from an M-2-120 engine, which was a USSR-built French Le Rhône Model J rotary. Tuzhkut was a name concocted to represent the last name of all participants. No further information is reported by Kotelnikov (VK).


Updated 2/19/08