The Maggie Projects  

  This is one of a series of projects using the Maggie MMG-W and the MMG
Project #2, MMG on a sealed box 12" woofer

Page under construction

______________________________________________________________________________________
    This speaker sounds so good and so easy to make it's almost embarrassing. I haven't auditioned any of the recent planar/dynamic driver hybrids offered at retail. But I imagine this speaker is comparable to designs costing double or triple the investment involved with this design.


The MMG is aligned with the acoustic center of the woofer. 
The 12" driver is a DVC-TC2+ with only one VC being driven so the distortion is lower
.
_______________________________________________________________________________________________________

The version I built involved recycling a pair of WoodStyle WS120 boxes from a project built many years ago. And before anyone asks, yes my cabinets are indeed walnut. These were custom ordered 20yrs ago directly from WoodStyle. 

The Parts Express 2.0 cu subwoofer box (P/N 301-810) could also be used of one didn't want to build their own enclosure.

_______________________________________________________________________________________

An active crossover is a requirement for this design, as is an additional amp. Receivers lacking pre-outs for the main speakers can't be used for this project.

The Behringer CX2310 is a low priced (~$90) crossover and it's operation is surprising transparent. 

_______________________________________________________________________________________

Those on a budget needing a second power amp might consider the Behringer A-500.

_______________________________________________________________________________________

The original the plan was to make a dipole box for each side, replacing the sealed box woofers with a pair of Linkwitz design "W" frame woofer cabinets. I need to study the effects of running the woofers up to a higher crossover point than 100Hz Linkwitz is using. The current system sounds best with the crossover set in the 150Hz-200Hz range

_________________________________________________________

I went ahead and performed one of the recommended crossover modifications. This involved replacing the crossover from the current cost saving version, with the original version first used by Magnepan. 

This is the current stock crossover

_________________________________________________________

Below is the original crossover design

_________________________________________________________

Below is my version of the above crossover. The loose cap and inductor at the top of the photo are the components from the original stock crossover. Information about this is available from the "Tweaks" section of the Maggie Users Group.  The modification provided significant improvement in sound quality. The performance of the tweeter is particularly improved. Obviously the new crossover is a bit large to fit in the stock location, so it will be put in an outboard box at a later date.

_________________________________________________________

I've experimented with various ways to stiffen and mass-load the baffles. Here some pieces or 1-1/4" angle iron are clamped on the baffle. This resulted in a nice improvement in the overall clarity of the playback

 

_________________________________________________________

To support and align the big angle iron, 3/4" pieces were welded on. The location of these pieces coincide with the stock cross bracing on the Maggie panels

_________________________________________________________

This is a test fit of a completed frame before sandblasting and painting. The holes in the stock trim align with holes in the metal frame and the stock holes in the sides of the baffle. 

_________________________________________________________

This is a detail shot of the top rear section of the metal frame. The drilled metal tabs will allow a connection between the frame and the base.

 

_________________________________________________________