From 100 Years of Brewing, 1903:
Kasper G. Schmidt, Chicago —The late Kasper George Schmidt, one of the old-time brewers of Chicago, was born February 20, 1833, in the village of Vockenhausen, in the romantic Taunus Forest, near Wiesbaden, Germany. His father was a tanner, but the boy was sent in his youth to Mayence, where he worked, first as an apprentice and then as journeyman machinist for some five years. After this he was engaged in the same capacity for two years at Frankfurt-on-the-Main, whence he emigrated to the United States, reaching New York in 1854, after a stormy voyage of eight weeks.
His first position was in a machine shop on Staten Island, but believing greater opportunities lay in the West, he soon went to Chicago, where he found employment as a machinist in the works of Trueb & Bachmann, and afterward in a machine shop near the Polk street bridge. Later her worked on a farm near Sterling, Illinois, and on his return to Chicago was married to Miss Barbara Wagner. This was in 1856. In the following year, being out of employment, he took an agency for a Milwaukee brewery and subsequently one for the brewery of Lill & Diversey. So successful was he in this venture that by 1860 he had saved sufficient money to enter the brewing business on his own account, which he did by associating himself with William Siebert, in partnership with whom he founded a brewery on North Clark street, between Chicago avenue and Superior street, which was conducted under the name of Siebert & Schmidt. To accommodate this business an ice house was erected the following year on Grant place, and two years later a new brewery was erected at the corner of Grant place and Cleveland avenue. In 1864 Mr. Schmidt became the sole proprietor. His plant came just within the northern limit of the burnt area in the great fire of 1871, and was entirely destroyed; but in the following year he associated himself with Hermann O. Glade to rebuild the brewery on a larger scale, and from 1872 to 1882 the business was conducted by Schmidt & Glade. In the latter year, and after the death of Mr. Glade, the name was changed to the K.G. Schmidt Brewing Company, with Mr. Schmidt at its head. In 1890 he retired from the company, and for the time being from active business, and disposed of the plant to the United States Brewing Company, which still operates it as its Branch 4, under the management of Ernest Fecker, Jr, who, in 1890, founded the Fecker Brewing Company, of Chicago, which, in 1898 was sold to the United Breweries Company, of Chicago. The annual capacity of the Schmidt plant is one hundred thousand barrels.
After his retirement from business, Mr. Schmidt devoted himself for a number of years to his fancy stock farm, at Twin Lakes, Wisconsin. But his active mind finding other occupation necessary, he, with his son, George K Schmidt, established the North Chicago Safety Deposit Vaults, which business, since Mr. Schmidt’s death has been carried on by the son.
Mr. Schmidt died December 10,1898, of apoplexy of the heart, and besides his son, George K. Schmidt, mentioned above, he left three daughters. Mrs. George W. Kellner, Mrs. M. B. Herbert and Mrs. Ernst Wahl. His son-in-law, George W. Kellner, is prominently identified with the brewing trade in Chicago, being vice-president of the United States Brewing Company.
Mr. Schmidt was highly esteemed by all who knew him as a genial, kindly and charitable man. He was an active member of the United States Brewers Association, and in 1865 was a member of the committee which prepared the bill for taxation of beer by Congress, and was for three terms president of the Chicago and Milwaukee Brewers Association. He was a member of the city council in 1868 and one of the board of county commissioners in 1874. He was also well known in banking circles, having been elected acting president of the Bank of Commerce in 1895.
An 1896 Brewery Directory list the K. G. Schmidt Brewery as making lager beer and malt with bottling equipment. Capacity was 60,000—70,000 bbl/yr.
References: 100 Years of Brewing, 1903, American Breweries II by Van Wieren, 1995, US Beer Labels by Kay, 2009, Brewery Directories, Adolf Grenke, Private Collections.