Recent acquisition of data is causing this page to change a great
deal. Stay tuned for updates and improvements.
I will list the earliest ancestor as 1 in order to maintain some consistency with the other families listed in my pages. This will be extended as I learn more.
I have recently determined that I had incorrectly identified the father of Amos8 HASTINGS as Frank7 HASTINGS. The birth record for Amos shows that his father was Jonas HASTINGS. After learning this I connected via GenForum and Genealogy List servers with at least three folks who have various pieces of the line from Amos, through Jonas and for one all the way to John1. I am posting the latest data I can determine, but reserve judgment as far as its authenticity until I can back it all up with acceptable source data. I will reference the sources as I go along, and eventually set up detailed references as I will for all my major families.
Shown below my line as best as I can currently determine, I have included John1 HASTINGS and Walter2 HASTINGS to aid other researchers. Eventually I'd like to add all the HASTINGS data I have gathered and not used.
Why am I putting the data up before I have completely Verified it? I hope to find that this will encourage readers and fellow genealogists to offer conflicting/corrective sources to assist in getting the line correct. This has been a difficult line for me for many years, and it finally seems to be opening up. Any comments, criticism, or corrections regarding this family will be gratefully (for the most part *s*) accepted.
Links within this page, in the tradition of my other web pages, will be added to this family, soon.
I must give thanks here to Wayne McElreavy firstname.lastname@example.org ; Debby Donovan DMDonovan@aol.com ; and Charlotte Jones email@example.com for their immense help in researching this family.
15. JONAS5, see below.
16. AMOS5, b. 31 Mar 1781; m. Deborah Howe.
17. BETSY5, b. 18 May 1782 at Fryeburg, Oxford Co., ME; m. Josiah Russell on 4 Jun 1798 at Bethel, Oxford Co., ME; d. Mar 1861.
18. TIMOTHY5, b. 31 Oct 1791; m. Hannah Bean.
19. LUCINDA5, 17 Apr 1794; m. Thomas Fletcher.
20. JOHN5, b. 6 May 1796; m. Abigail Straw.
21. HULDA5, b. 17 Apr 1798; m. Nathaniel Barker.
23. BENJAMIN B.6, see below.
24. MARIA6, see below.
25. WILLIAM6, see below.
26. JONATHAN B.6, see below.
27. ROSILLA6, see below.
28. AFFIE6, b. 5 Mar 1824 at Grantham, Sullivan Co., NH (Apphia in NHVRs); m. Julius Owen. Listed as Apphia in IGI.
29. JONAS, Jr.6, b. 27 Jan 1826 at Grantham, Sullivan Co., NH; m. Mary Ann Whitaker on 31 Oct 1847 at Grantham, Sullivan Co., NH. Birth and marriage listed in IGI. Appears in 1850 Census.
30. AMOS6, see below.
32. PAMELIA6, b. Grantham, Sullivan Co., NH; d. Jun 1836
at 8 years of age.
The 1850 Census shows wife Elvira age 43, b. NH. The 1850 Census also shows Benjamin was a farmer with $900 worth of real estate, born in Maine. Moved from Grantham to Croyden, NH in 1858. Lived on Silas Wakefield's farm. The 1850 Census also shows an Abigail, age 78, living with Benjamin. Benjamin and his family are shown on the Newport NH web site ( http://www.NewportNH.com/Ancestors/gen18.htm ) and the related site for Northville Cemetery (at Newport) records ( http://www.NewportNH.com/Ancestors/north9.htm ). These sites show Benjamin's d. on 5 Jan 1892 at age 87, buried at lot B22 of the Northville Cemetery at Newport. His wife Eliza is also shown as b. 8 Dec 1806; d. on 26 Aug 1888 at age 85; buried in lot B22 with husband. Unless otherwise noted, the children listed below all appear on these same web sites.
34. DANIEL7, b. 15 Mar 1833, at Grantham, Sullivan Co., NH; d. at age 5 on 21 Mar 1838 at Grantham, Sullivan Co., NH. Not shown on Newport NH web site referenced above.
35. ALEXANDER7, see below.
36. ANDREW JACKSON7, see below.
37. EDWIN C.7, see below.
38. ZILPHA CLEMENT7, b. 27 Mar 1840 at Grantham, Sullivan Co., NH or at Williamstown, VT; living w/ father for 1850 Census; m. William Henry Dewey on 20 Apr 1858; also resided in Unity, NH; d. 26 Nov 1934 at Newport, Sullivan Co., NH.
39. ELVIRA B.7(ALVIRA), b. 5 Sep 1842 at Grantham, Sullivan Co., NH; living w/ father for 1850 Census; m. Frank S. Taylor.
40. LYMAN B.7, b. 10 Oct 1846 at Grantham, Sullivan Co., NH; living w/ father for 1850 Census; m. Jennie Beman.
41. LEWIS J.7, b. 27 Mar 1848 (may be an error, see ELIZA A. below), at at Grantham, Sullivan Co., NH, not shown in 1850 Census. Not shown on Newport NH web site referenced above.
42. ELIZA A.7, see below.
43. ELIAS7, b. abt 1850, at Grantham, Sullivan Co., NH; shown with Benjamin in 1850 Census. Not shown on Newport NH web site referenced above.
44. JAMES L.7, see below.
45. SARAH7,see below.
46. SOPHIA B.7, b. 3 Aug 1832 at Grantham, Sullivan Co., NH; according to Grantham VRs.
47. SYLVESTER7, b. 7 Jan 1836 at Grantham, Sullivan Co., NH; m. Juline .
48. JOHN NELSON7, see below.
49. SALLY ANN7, b. 13 Aug 1840 at Grantham, Sullivan Co., NH (VRs).
50. AFFIE S.7, b. abt 1844 at Grantham, Sullivan Co., NH.
51. MARY A.7, b. abt 1846 at Grantham, Sullivan Co., NH; (according to Union Church Records (UCR) of Claremont, found at Fiske Free Library at Claremont, NH). UCR shows a Mary Addie d. 20 Jul 1887 and a Mary A. d 18 Oct 1889.
52. GEORGE7, b. abt 1856 at Grantham, Sullivan Co., NH.
53. ROSILLA SOPHRONIA7, b. 6 Jun 1840 at Grantham, Sullivan Co., NH.
54. MARTIN VAN BUREN7, b. 2 Jun 1844.
55. MANDANA (MANDANIA, MANDANIE)7, b. abt 1846 at Grantham, Sullivan Co., NH.
56. ARMENA7, b. at Grantham, Sullivan Co., NH; m. John Whitehead.
57. JAMES7, b. at Grantham, Sullivan Co., NH; m. Jennie Leavitt.
58. EUGENE7, b. at Grantham, Sullivan Co., NH; d. at age 3 or 4.
59. ?7, b. at Grantham, Sullivan Co., NH; d. in infancy.
60. MONROE7, b. abt 1855 at Grantham, Sullivan Co., NH.
61. J. ALBION7, see below.
According to Descendants of Henry Hastings (DOHH), from Charlotte Jones, and the marriage record for Bertha5 Hastings, Amos m. Nancy MANCHESTER ca 1850. He m. before 1865 to Nancy L. SAWYER , b. at Brighton, VT (VRs for births of children) or abt 1824 at Island Pond, VT (HOB), (the records conflict here, she died 31 Dec 1834 at age 53 yrs 6 mos. accord to the gravestone, is buried with her husband).
He enlisted in the Union Army, according to his gravestone and HOB he was a sharpshooter in the 2nd NH Regiment of US Volunteers, Company C, from Enfield NH. HOB notes that he was captured by the Confederates and incarcerated at Libby Prison at the close of the war. This was in Richmond, VA, and was a particularly unsanitary place second in infamy only to Andersonville, among Confederate prisons. From the Civil War Discharge, and records of his application for pension seem to indicate this to be unlikely. These records also seem to indicate Amos had had only one wife, Nancy Sawyer. As I resolve these I will correct this page.
Amos is listed in 1860 Census as age 30, a Scythe Maker, born in NH; listing includes Nancy (age 26, b. VT), John (age 7, b. VT), Rosaline (age 5, b.NH), and Frank (age 3, b. NH).
Amos was a resident of Littleton, NH and Claremont, NH. The Claremont City Directory of 1887 shows him residing at his home on Walnut St. He died at 64 on 19 July 1891 at Claremont, NH and is buried in the Pleasant St. Cemetery, section F, lot 16, very near where daughter Cora lies with husband Edgar E. Lovejoy.
I have completed a transcription of Discharge certificate and applications for disability pension for Amos above. Click here to see these records.
63. JOHN AMOS7 (or JOHN M./JOHN SILAS), see below.
(Children by Nancy Manchester may include Rose and Frank below, per 1860 Census.)
66. FANNIE7, m. Edwin S. Lockhart on 14 Dec 1892 at Claremont; UCR calls him Edwin S. Lockwood.
67. LILLI7(LILLIE/LILLA D. (UCR)), m. Tracy B. Hart, son of Oliver C. Hart and Mary C. Bingham (Mary's Obit Claremont Advocate 3 May 1918) on 17 Dec 1892 (UCR).
69. ROSE7; b. ca 1855?; possibly is the daughter shown as Rosaline age 5 in 1860 Census, b. in NH, this would make her daughter of the first wife Nancy Manchester.
70. FRANK7, b. ca 1857?; possibly is the son Frank shown
as age 3 in 1860 Census, b. in NH, this would make her daughter of the
first wife Nancy Manchester; the listing for AMOS8 in the HISTORY
OF BARNET, VT shows Frank in Texas, at time of publication 1923.
72. LILLIAN F.8.
76. FRED E.8.
78. DELMER G.8.
44. JAMES L.7, son of BENJAMIN B.6; b. 24 Mar 1850, at Grantham, Sullivan Co., NH; (VRs) m. 1st Isabel A. Crowell before 1888; m. 2nd in Newport NH on 29 Nov 1888, 2nd marriage for both, to Jennie E. Bradbury, both residents of Claremont, NH, he age 38, she age 26, with his occupation listed as teamster; Jennie listed as b. at Swanton, VT, to Henry E. Johnson (b. Strafford, VT) and Caroline Roose (b. Swanton, VT); marriage record lists James L.'s father as Benjamin B. Hastings (b. Bethel, Maine) and his mother b. at Goffstown, NH; James L. and Jennie Bradbury were married by Rev. C. W. Flanders at Newport, NH. Another marriage is listed in the Union Church (Claremont) Records for James L., with bride's name unlisted, on 14 Mar 1905. James L. d. 6 Oct 1915 at Windsor, VT (UCR).
80. ETHEL A.8, d. 23 Aug 1891 at 10 months, 17 days of age, at Claremont, NH. (NHVRs)
63. JOHN AMOS7(or JOHN M./JOHN SILAS), son of AMOS6; b. about 1852 or 1853 at Island Pond, VT; shown in 1860 Census as age 7 and b. in VT; m. Mary A. BYRON,(b. abt 1858 at Littleton, NH; d. 20 Jul 1887 at Claremont of Phthisis?: History of Littleton, New Hampshire by George C. Furber, 1905 mentions a BERO family that came to Littleton from Canada and one branch that changed name to BYRON) before 1874 ; d. 1893; buried with wife Mary, children and grandchildren at Pleasant St. Cemetery, Claremont, NH, beside Cora Minnie and Edgar E. Lovejoy's grave; Death record at Claremont for Mary Addie Hastings, on 20 July 1887 at age 28 yrs, 10 mos, shows her married, a housewife, b. in Littleton to Oliver Byron and Mary ( ) Byron, both b. in the U.S. Report filed by C.B. Spofford, Town Clerk of Claremont, NH. Cause of death listed as Phthisis.
84. OLIVER A.8, see below.
85. OPHELIA8, b. 19 Feb 1878 at Goshen, birth certificate lists her as 3rd child of John S. (age 26) and Mary A. (age 20) (Byron) Hastings. This birth certificate lists Cora Lovejoy as the person reporting the birth.
86. EMRI8, see below.
87. CHARLOTTE8, b. 15 Dec 1884 at Claremont; NHVRs for her birth show her father as a laborer, age 37, and shows her as his seventh child. Her mother is shown as Mary Adaline Byron, b. at Littleton, age 26.
88. UNKNOWN8, b. 20 July 1887.
82. FLORENCE R.8, daughter of MARTIN VAN BUREN7; b. 21 Apr 1866 at Grantham, Sullivan Co., NH; m. Burt Lewis. UCR shows her marriage to "Bertie A.A. Lewis" on 12 Jun 1893.
90. RAYMOND E.9, b. 10 Jul 1897 at Monroe, NH (NHVRs); m. Emma Bugbee 16 Aug 1919 (UCR).
91. FRANK R.9, b. after 1897 at Barnet, VT; m. 1920 to
Gladys Hill, b. 1901 at Springfield, MA dtr of Pat Hill and Mary Kimball;
Frank moved to Charlestown, NH in 1941. (History of Charlestown, NH, 2nd
Edition, by M. Frizzell, 1950). Had 2 sons and one dtr.
94. HARVEY9, b. 23 Dec 1905; d. 17 Feb 1906 (UCR) or 1905 (gravestone); buried with their parents in Claremont.
95. HENRY9, b. 1907; d. 25 Oct 1907 buried with their parents in Claremont. UCR shows a Clarence and a Don born to Emri on 17 Mar 1907. If this is correct, possibly they were triplets.
96. ?9, a daughter, b. 7 Feb 1909 per UCR.
97. ?9, a son, b. 2 Mar 1911 per UCR.
1. ROBERT1, son of ??. It has been suggested that Robert is the son of Walter HASTINGS and grandson of John HASTINGS early settler of Braintree, MA then Cambridge, MA. This seems unlikely if the 12 children shown belonging to Walter in the Genealogical Dictionary of Maine and New Hampshire, by Noyes, Libby and Davis, (hereafter referred to as GDMNH) are correct. No Robert is shown. In the separate entry for Robert in GDMNH, he is shown in Haverhill, MA where he took the oath of fidelity on 28 Nov 1677. Vital Records (VR) for Haverhill show his marriage to Elizabeth DAVIS on 31 Oct 1676. She was the dtr of James2 DAVIS and Elizabeth EATON, b. 11 Mar 1654 in Haverhill, according to the Haverhill Genealogy Page (http:// ).
3. ELIZABETH2, b. 3 Jan 1679, m. Joseph Peaslee.
4. ROBERT2, b. 4 Mar 1680/1681 or 1682; m. Elizabeth Bailey, dtr of Joseph2 Bailey, b. 19 Apr 1681 in Bradford, Essex Co., MA.
5. ANNE (ANN)2, b. 15 Oct 1684.
6. GEORGE2, b. 24 Apr 1688.
7. JOHN2, see below.
8. ESTHER2, 19 Jan 1694.
*WEAK LINK BETWEEN ROBERT3 AND WALTER2 , OBTAINED FROM AN UNVALIDATED GENEALOGY LINE I RECEIVED. GDMNH SHOWS ONLY THE CHILDREN ABOVE LISTED FOR WALTER, AND GIVES ROBERT A SEPARATE ENTRY. IT IS POSSIBLE THAT ROBERT IS ACTUALLY THE FIRST SETTLER FOR THE LINE SHOWN, OR A DESCENDANT OF ANOTHER HASTINGS LINE.
2. WALTER2, son of JOHN1, b. in England 1631, settled Cambridge, MA, m. (1) Sarah MEAN dtr of stepmother Ann on 10 Apr 1655, who d. 27 Aug 1673, m. (2) Elizabeth Bright dtr of Henry Bright on 23 Jul 1674, she d. 23 Jul 1762, Walter d. 5 Aug 1705.
Children: (by Sarah MEANS)
3. SAMUEL2, b. England, m. 12 Nov 1661 to Mary MEAN.
4. ELIZABETH2, b. 2 Jul 1643.
5. JOHN "SEABORN"2, may have born on the way over from
England, m. (1) Hannah (possibly MOORE) on 1 Mar 1666, m. (2) Lydia
CHAMPNEY, dtr of Richard CHAMPNEY, on 20 May 1668 at Cambridge, MA.