Look very closely at the picture!
Bill Jones PADI Co-Founder John Cronin is Dead at 74
 © Copyright 2003    Bill Jones    World Rights Reserved

John CroninRancho Santa Margarita, California.   John Cronin, co-founder of PADI, died July 15, 2003 at his home in Temecula California of natural causes at the age of 74.  Cronin was relaxing by his home swimming pool at the time.  A native of Albany New York, he served in the United States Marine Corps from 1947 to 1952.

While attending a diving banquet in December 1961, Cronin met professional educator Ralph Erickson.  Over the next several years, Cronin and Erickson developed their concept of a new professional diver training organization.  In 1966, Cronin and Erickson founded the Professional Association of Diving Instructors (PADI).

Because of Cronin’s leadership, PADI is recognized around the world as the largest single entity in the diving industry.  PADI has offices in 7 countries with over 100,000 individual members.  PADI has more than 4,600 affiliated retail and resort locations located in 175 countries worldwide.

In 2003, PADI issued its 12,000,000th diving certification. PADI serves more than 60% of the market share in recreational diving certifications with the more than 200 other certification agencies sharing the other 40%.

Cronin would have completed his 50th year in the industry next year.

Editor Note:  Bill Jones, The Scuba Guy, is a PADI Master Instructor and a Published and Award-Winning Writer
 

More Scuba News

Questions & Comments: The Scuba Guy