Pennock Log House
Pennock Log House
The Pennock Log House Story
adapted from the writings of Mrs. Mary Patterson 1964
William Pennock was married August 18, 1765 to Lydia Jackson, daughter of Caleb and Hannah Bennett Jackson. Lydia Jackson Pennock was a great great grand daughter of Caleb Pusey. William and Lydia Pennock came to Springfield Township to make it their home, built the log house, and lived there for several years.
Pennock Log House, Race St. Upland, Pa
The home passed to Susanna Yarnall Thomas, the widow of a "saddler" named Benjamin Thomas. She was living in a “certain log messuage with 27 acres of ground” by July 8, 1795. By July 8, 1796 she was to pay William and Lydia Pennock 310₤ for this property. The 1798 direct tax, taken only in Pennsylvania, mentions this house and says that it was almost new. There was also a barn, springhouse, and likely still 27 acres of land. William and Lydia Pennock were living in a brick home, likely moving there after selling their log house.
Pennock Log House with stucco exterior, Springfield, Pa. 1961
The log house stayed in the Thomas family for altogether 113 years, until 1908. There was a division of property when Susanna Y. Thomas died. The log house went to her son James, who died October 1, 1842. The next owner was John F. Thomas, the son of James Thomas. He died about July 29, 1890, leaving the property to his wife, Catherine A. Thomas, who died intestate about November 1, 1907. The Property then passed to John and Catherine Thomas' three unmarried daughters. The following year the Thomas daughters sold the property to Edward J. Frame of Philadelphia. The log house and land sold for $3,000, and had shrunk to (?) 5 acres. The last sale of the log house was from Mr. and Mrs. Frame to their daughter and son-in-law (the Moores) for $500 during the depression years. The Moores also acquired all the land which the Frames then owned in addition to the log house.
Pennock Log House deconstruction, Springfield, Pa 1964
Mrs. Mabel Moore-Horne gave this old log house, located at 357 South Swarthmore Avenue, Springfield Township, to The Friends of the Caleb Pusey House Inc., by deed of gift on February 19, 1964. The provision of the gift was that it had to be moved off the property in Springfield Township by April 1, 1964. During March of 1964, the Log House was slowly dismantled, beginning with the attic. Then the logs, which were carefully marked, were lifted off one at a time, so that the house could be reconstructed faithfully on the meadow near the Caleb Pusey House. This was carried out during the 1964/1965 time frame.
Pennock Log House Upland, Pa. 2008
The log house acted as a caretaker's home and then was later rented, generating funds for the preservation of Landingford. The Pennock Log House now displays authentic antique furnishing and artifacts. It is open during Landingford's special events or for tour by special request.
Pennock Log House, Race St. Upland, Pa.