1982 Yamaha G1 Golf Cart
I have wanted a golf cart to ride around on my property for over 4 years, last summer I finally found one that I liked and purchased. It's a older one a 1982 Yamaha G1 series, old and a little beat up and didn't run the best so I thought I would try and rebuild it and kinda do some custom work to it. It's a ugly beat up black and completely stock golf cart that a fellow used for years pulling his race car around the race tracks and into the pit area.
I got it home and run it into the garage and so far have the body off and the motor out to do some maintainence and way needed work on it. I have done what they call the BBQ of the muffler being it's a 2 stroke engine I built a large wood fire and threw the muffler into it and let it burn until it was cherry red. Set it so the tail pipe was down and there must of been at least a half a gallon of mess that melted and run out of the muffler. Put it back on and what a difference in the way the motor ran, then I ran into a carb problem and it took me over 2 months to find the right carb for it. Now it's back to running good again.
Since then I have put a 4 inch lift kit on it and now it's raised up off the ground and also purchased 4 new 10 inch mag wheels and large off road tires so i can run it through the woods and the mud. Got the body off at the moment and in the middle of customizing the front clip and going to repaint it a Tangerine Twist color. Purchased a brand new sterio and water proof 120 watt speakers for it and am also adding one of my ham radios. Building a wind shield for it and have done a lot of body customizing, also build my own style front and rear bumpers and adding a trailor hitch. 4 sealed beam halogen headlights for the front and have lights for the rear to be put on later. Purchased a 4 foot by 8 foot sheet of .069 bright aluminum diamond plate to do some customizing with and also building my own style dash board for it.
This is what it looked like when I first brought it home, completely all stock.
This is where I started tearing the front end apart to add the 4 inch lift.
The below picture is where I done away with the front stock shocks and put on a set of Chrome Harley Davidson springover shocks from a bike.
The pic below is the front cowl that I customized.
These 2 pics are a pretty good shot of my over size off road tires and mag wheels.
The 3 pics below are the custom front and rear bumpers I built, the rear bumper I am adding a trailor hitch.
There is my little Chloe all sprawed out getting her belly cool.
10 inch frame Stretch
I decided to do some experimenting so I stretched my G1 10 inches longer so it will ride better and have more seating room, here are the pictures of what I have done to it so far.
This is what it looks like before the cutting---------And this is after the frame has been cut in two.
This is it pulled 10 inches apart---------And this is it with the 12 inch pipes welded in.
This is the new gas pedal linkage and brake rod linkage I made for the stretch.
I have come up with another idea for the front end, I want to do away with the original Yamaha G1 front cowl and build my own. The one I am building is going to resemble a old style Jeep with lifting hood on each side and headlights and all.
This is the frame primed and painted, and another view of my linkage.
Close up shots of the linkage I made for the gas throttle.
This is with the new aluminum diamond plate floor lots of leg room now.
I have sanded the front cowl and rear body and have just a little more sanding to do and hopefully get it in primer in the next few days. Then I want to put at least 5 coats of Tangerine Twist paint on it and probably 3 good coats of clear on it. Then I am either going to try my air brush and try to put some flames on it, I have some green metallic but not sure if I can do flames. If not then I will purchase what they call stretch on flame decals. I will post some more pics hopefully after I get it in primer, and tomorrow May 7, 2008 is supposed to be a nice sunny day to do that.
Body Style Change
Here is the beginning of my creation that a great friend of mine is helping me with pictures and measurements I am trying to make a Willys front end for my Yamaha G1 Golf Cart. Thanks Ron what a friend you are for helping me.