Reproduced here with permission from the Dublin Citizen on Dec. 3, 2000.
Thursday, Oct. 21, 1999
Ancestors [sic] rescue family cemetery from neglect
Special to The Citizen
Descendants of the Caudle family will meet at the Dublin Senior Citizens Center at 10 a.m. Saturday to caravan to the Caudle Cemetery for a workday.
The cemetery has been cleared and fenced, but needs the stones straightened and briars cut. The Senior citizens will cater a barbecue dinner at 6:30 p.m. and the rest of the evening will be spent visiting and exchanging information between family trees.
This is how the cemetery came to be, as we know it:
James Robert Caudle, eldest son of John Wesley Caudle (1829-1865) moved to Erath County in 1876 and two years later bought the property on which the Caudle Cemetery is located. At that time there were already graves in the cemetery which was called South Bolton.
Mary, wife of William Follis, was the first marked grave (1879) and there is no proof she was a Caudle kin. Fifteen marked graves and about 40 unmarked graves have been found. The cemetery’s name was changed to Caudle Cemetery when the one-year-old son of Robert and Tennessee Caudle died in 1885 and was buried in the cemetery near their home.
Rebecca Clayton Caudle, the matriarch of the Caudle family, was buried there on March 4, 1886. The last marked grave was her granddaughter, Fannie, daughter of Joseph H. and Celia Jane Petty Caudle on Aug. 18, 1895. She died on the day she was to be married and was buried in her wedding dress.
Margaret Hamrick Caudle, widow of John Wesley, eldest son of Mark Caudle, moved west with two of her sons, Thomas Alexander and Burl Temple Caudle in 1887 and bought a home south of Alexander where members of Burl Caudle family lived until 1954 when Fred and Edna Caudle Ascue moved to Dublin.
On Memorial Day, 1997, a group of Caudle family members decided to find the old cemetery. We knew it was in the pasture of the Flying B Ranch. We had to walk through pasture of knee-high weeds, crawl under two barbed wire fences and wade a creek to reach the cemetery which was covered with shoulder high briars and shrubs. We spotted a stone, Rebecca Caudle, and knew we were at the right place. We also knew something needed to be done. We called meeting for that October and found that many families had been searching for Rebecca’s grave.
A fund was started to clear, fence and maintain the’ cemetery. With the help of Jeanine Brannon, owner of the Flying B, and her ranch foreman, Gaylon Bullard, we found a man to fence it; Mr. Bullard also cleared the underbrush and briars.