Providence Church, Franklin County, Texas
|"At a meeting held at the home
of E.W. Owens in Lamar County in the Republic of Texas on
Saturday the 28th of May, 1842 by Rubin Gideon and Joseph
Bishop, Ministers of the Regular Baptist Church of Christ
- there being seven Members of our faith and order
present; viz., Rowland Nichols, William Caudle, James
Caudle, Mary Caudle, Joseph Bishop, Mildred Brown, Amos
"Finding a sufficient number of members to constitute a church, We the undersigned Regular ordained Ministers of the Gospel do hereby certify that we have this day constituted a Church which shall be called Providence . . ."
Above transcribed from the charter of the Providence Primitive Baptist Church, dated May 28, 1842
|James Caudle, his wife Mary, and sons
William, Mark and Bennett had recently received land grants for land just a few miles
from the location of this church. They had moved to
the Republic of Texas in November of 1841. All were eager
to start a new church in their new and foreign
The current church, built in 1945, is the fourth built on the site . The second was built in 1872. Some first cut white pine benches from the 1872 church remain in use. The Providence Cemetery is across the road north of the church. In 1871, 2 ½ acres of land were deeded to the church association by William J. Caudle, son of Mark & Rebecca Caudle and grandson of James.
Many Caudle ancestors are buried in this cemetery, and it is thought that James and Mark might be buried there.