Locale of the Providence and Glade Springs Churches
Charter of the Glade Springs Church
|Notice on the map below (scroll down to see it)
that the Providence Church is just a couple of miles from the Glade
Springs Church. The following information is taken from A History
of Rehoboth Baptist Association, 1856 to 1938 by Roy L. Johnson:
"On Nov. 7, 1858, a group met at Smith school house in the part of Titus Co., that is now Franklin Co., to organize a Missionary Baptist Church. This church, only a short distance from Mount Vernon, was called "Glade Springs Church." Included with the forty three charter members were: Daniel Caudle, Amanda Caudle, John Caudle, Margaret Caudle, Sarah Caudle, Rebecca Caudle, Matilda Caudle, and Mahala Caudle. John Caudle and William Junell were the first duly elected deacons. Following the list of charter members was a long list of slaves who were enrolled as members."
Daniel is Daniel Clayton Caudle b. 1835
There are many James Caudle descendants buried in the Glade Springs Cemetery.