Asbestos & Fire

Asbestos containing materials in homes & Fire 

Let’s keep it simple:It is a well-known fact that asbestos does not burn, that is one of the reasons that we use it. The problem is, when 1,500 homes burn resulting from natures wrath, how do we avoid exposure?The following is a list of things you need to know:

  •      Do not sift through ash where any burnt structure was standing. We still use asbestos in building materials. EPA estimates that over 3,000 products were manufactured and used in the United States of America.
  •      Do not try to clean up burnt structures. What you see is a mixture of toxic waste to include asbestos.
  •      10 to 60 years is how long it takes to get sick after exposure to asbestos. There is no known safe level of exposure to asbestos. People that have no known occupational exposure have died from asbestos related illnesses.
  •      There are many cancers linked to asbestos exposure. Asbestosis has increased ten fold according to the Agency for Toxic Substances and Disease Registry (ATSDR)
  •      Respiratory protection should be worn at all times when working or even walking close to burnt structures. NIOSH approved N-95’s provide a minimal level of protection when used outside. They do provide a level of protection that you don’t have without them. Do not use dust mask for protection after a fire. Try to keep materials wet to such a degree that they will not absorb any more moisture (saturated).  

People need to know the truth even if they did suffer the loss of a home. Asbestos is a health hazard that presents a very real problem when a fire strikes. Sorry to be the bearer of bad news folks, but the truth could save your life. Even more importantly, this information could save the lives of the youngsters out there. For more free information, please contact the Johnny O. Perea Foundation. Our thoughts and prayers are with you.

Respectfully, 

Charles R. Perea, Founder, JOPF

 

Charles R. Perea