The overload clutch failed (noisily) and I was soon to find that wasn't all.



The input shaft splines are worn 2/3 of the way through. At the used tractor
parts place, I found about 10 input shafts, none better than 1/3 worn through.


When I removed the oil pump, I found that the input shaft loose, and the
oil pump splines worn. After removing the Adapter plate, I found the main bearing
missing it's cage. The sleeve between the oil pump and the main bearing was
damaged by this, as were the seals.



The bore of the Direct Drive Clutch housing had 2 grooves worn in the bore,
where the oil seals run. At the used tractor parts place, I found 3 for 3 in the same
condition, so I had this one MIGed and re-bored.



The Direct Drive Clutch plates were in poor condition.
My transmission had .062" bronze plates. My spare had .090" bronze plates. The pressure
plate is thinner to make up the difference, so I used the spare pressure plate with the
the spare bronze plates and new steel plates, part number C8AP7B442A.



The "A" ring gear and "A" planet carrier. The copper thrust washer is the one
that falls out of place if the input shaft is removed. I found that it was floating
around between these two parts, all scored up, and had ruined the sheetmetal oil
gathering piece on the planetary carrier.



Planetary "A" carrier. The needle bearings, axels, and gear bores were all ruined.
The needles had multiple flats worn on them, the gear bores were oversize and the axels
had flats worn on them also. I understand that it is not common for this part to fail.
There are two versions of this part. The ones I had used round thrust washers between
the gears and the carrier. The washers turned and cut grooves into the axels. The 3
of these I saw at the used parts place had thrust washers with wings, so that they could
not turn. All three were in better shape than mine.



Planetary "B" carrier. The needle bearings, axels, and gear bores were also bad.
The needles were undersized, the gear bores were oversize and the axles were out of round.
The thrust washers had begun to cut grooves into the axles.
I found two versions of this part also. The parts place had one with the winged thrust washers
and a sheetmetal oil catcher like the Planetary "A" carrier. Unfortunatly, the splines for
the Clutch 1 pack were about .100" longer than the plain version, so I couldn't "upgrade"
without more modifications. They had one exact match, so I used it.



A close up of the axle, showing the thrust washer wear grooves and surface damage in the center.



The 2 types of bronze plates used in the clutch packs. My transmissions had the type
with spiral grooves shown on the left. I found the radial grooved version at the used
parts place. The Ford dealer listed them for my transmission also. The radial groove
plates are .090" thick, and the spiral groove plates are .060" thick. The thicker plates
won't work in place of the thinner ones as there isn't enough clearance to release.
Spiral .062" plate part number:
Radial .090" plate part number: C0NN7B164B



The steel plates in Clutch "1" had these spiral grooves worn into them. Apparently,
Someone had done work on the transmission in the past. On of the bronze plates in
Clutch 1 was the radial groove type. The wear on the steel plates that contacted it
was smooth and even. I replaced both the steel and the bronze plates in Clutch 1.
They are .068" thick.



Some of the bronze plates in Clutch 2 and 3 had damage, so I replaced them also. The
steel plates were OK - some even had no wear in places. None of the bronze plates
were worn thinner than the new ones.



Home Bunnies Our House Machinery Tractor S-O-S