* - A Northeast storm destroyed Cape Henlopen Lighthouse, April 13, 1926.
(1) Abbreviations: A= Active Aid and D= Deactive Light.
(2) In 1736, Tybee Island Light was first built as a Day Beacon and and the Day-mark was converted to a Lighthouse by the federal government in 1791. Tybee Island Light is Currently an Active Aid located at the entrance of the Savannah River, Georgia.
(3) For unknown reasons, privately owned and operated colonial Lighthouses are not included in the list of the official twelve colonial government Lights. Regardless, private Lighthouses were important aids to the developing colonial regions.
) For additional Lighthouse information, Click the Highlighted Lighthouse Location Text.
(5) Lighthouse Guide was recently updated.
Certain Light List Information should not be used for Navigational purposes since Light Lists do change. Every effort has been made to ensure that the information is current.
The purpose of including the Light's Aid No., Characteristic, Daymark, and Position is to note the importance of Light Stations as Aids to Navigation. A Lighthouse without these markings would be a expensive useless structure:
Consider the Position (Latitude, Longitude) helps mariners to determine the location of a Harbor entrance or dangerous shoals which is similar to a Street Address helps us to find the location of homes and other buildings.
Likewise, the Characteristic (Flash sequence and color of the light) and the Daymark (Light Tower Color and Markings) aid in determining which Lighthouse is being approached by night or day which is no different than describing the color and style of your home when giving directions!
With this information, the Lighthouse marks the obscure presence of navigational dangers, the entrance to harbors or guides vessels through shipping channels. A Lighthouse enables mariners to locate their position by taking bearings from two or more Lighthouses using the Light's Characteristic. Plotting these bearings on a chart fixed their vessels location to check whether they were on course or needed to correct or change their heading.
Range Lights, consisting of paired towers, were designed to guide vessels through shipping channels into harbors. A low height Front Range Light was constructed with a higher height Rear Range Light located a distance from the Front Range. When mariners aligned these Lights [the Rear Range Light was directly on top of the Front Range Light], they would be safely on course in mid-channel.
Twin Lights were two Towers exhibiting Fixed White lights. Before Flashing Light Characteristics existed, Twin Lights were used to distinguish the Light Station from other nearby Lighthouses.
In addition, these Identifying Marks illustrate the ingenuity of mankind throughout history to solve problems for the common good of all.