WavPlayer for Android
For playing audio, the Android Operating System only supports a limited number of media formats. Many VOIP (Voice Over IP) phone service providers allow users to forward voice messages to themselves as email attachments, however these files are often compressed .wav or .gsm files. Attempting to play them back with the built-in 'Music' application will cause the error: Unable to play this type of audio file.
WavPlayer is an Android application that lets you play many of these audio files, as well as all other formats natively supported by the Android OS. It is designed to be a lightweight application; once another task is started or the application loses focus, WavPlayer will quit and free all system resources. It is not designed to be a replacement for any entertainment based audio players.
How to use (see example)
- From your email client or file browser, select the file (you may need to also click 'Open')
- From the "Complete action using" popup screen, select WavPlayer
- Optionally check the "Use by default for this action" checkbox to remember your selection
- Touch the Speaker / Phone icon while the file is playing to immediately toggle between the External Speaker and Earpiece - no relaunch is required
- Touch and drag the scrub bar to reposition the audio at any point along the timeline
- Press the Play / Pause button to pause or resume playback
- If playback contains static or becomes choppy, increase the 'Audio buffer scale' in the settings to improve playback quality
- Select Menu > Settings... for Options, About, Version History, and FAQ
File types supported (version 2.12)
- flac (up to 48kHz)
- m4a, m4b
- qcp (QCELP format only)
- ra, rm (SIPR format only)
- shn (Shorten file format)
*WAV Compression Formats
- 0x0001 PCM Linear Audio (up to 24-bit)
- 0x0002 MS ADPCM
- 0x0006 ALaw
- 0x0007 MuLaw
- 0x000A WMA/ASF
- 0x00a0 OKI ADPCM
- 0x0011 IMA/DVI ADPCM
- 0x0017 Dialogic OKI ADPCM
- 0x0022 DSP TrueSpeech
- 0x0031 MS GSM 6.10 (WAV49)
- 0x0050 MPEG-1 layer 1, 2
- 0x0133 G.729
Also includes playback support for all Android core media formats.
Your device must be able to play these with the built-in player.
This software uses code of FFmpeg licensed under the LGPLv2.1 and its source can be downloaded here
FAQ: Having problems getting WavPlayer to work?
by Joey (October 5, 2010)
I have been looking for a wav player ever since Google decided to take that capability away from us with the froyo update. App works perfect on EVO!
by krathmann (October 5, 2010)
Bought, downloaded, installed, works - simply perfect. Using Gmail on HTC Desire, Android 2.2
by Mike (October 4, 2010)
This app worked perfectly on my EVO 4g. THANK YOU! You're a life saver!
by Nikolaos (October 4, 2010)
Great app! I was able to open Voicemails that are e-mailed from my Trixbox CE PBX no problem. Would recommend to others.
by Daniel (October 4, 2010)
Works great for magic jack voicemail. EVO user.
by Chris (October 4, 2010)
Works as advertised for work email. Price is right. Evo 2.2
by Shawn (October 4, 2010)
Works perfect on my Evo 4G W/ 2.2. Works with Magic Jack VM
by Stan (October 3, 2010)
It does what it says and does it well. Definetly worth the money.
by Dan (October 2, 2010)
Working awesome on my HTC Incredible. A real lifesaver letting me listen to my exchange (work) voice mails. Thanks for an inexpensive app that works
by Emeka (October 2, 2010)
by philaundre (October 2, 2010)
Works on moto Droid..... the customer support makes it five stars.. without a question...
by Franckash (September 30, 2010)
Enfin je peux écouter mes message vocal de mon fournisseur voip sur mon téléphone
"Finally I can listen to my voice mail from my voip provider on my phone"
by EDFX (September 30, 2010)
Works great! Thanks!
by Hitomi (September 30, 2010)
My first paid app. I can listen to my work voicemails now. Evo
by Stan (September 30, 2010)
Works like a charm!! Thanks for fixing my broke Google player for cheap.
by Chris (September 30, 2010)
Perfect, just what I was looking for!
by Rigo (September 30, 2010)
This is exactly what I have been looking for. I can now listen to all my MagicJack voice mails. I recommend this app to everyone. HTC EVO 4G
by Bill (September 29, 2010)
Works great. Plays my voicemail files from work.
by jamesg (September 29, 2010)
Awesome 5 stars...
by Ken (September 29, 2010)
Now works with .gsm audio files. FIVE STARS!