The 120 ft. span was named for R.S. Belknap who discovered and developed the nearby Belknap Springs area. He was the son of J.H. Belknap who championed the building of the McKenzie pass road. The bridge is a single span supported by a Howe Truss with a 39 ton capacity to accomodate logging trucks.
This crossing of the McKenzie River is Lane County's easternmost covered bridge. It is located near the town of McKenzie Bridge, so named because of the importance to the community of this structure which serves it. The history of the site illustrates the crossing's importance.
The current covered bridge, opened in 1966, is the fourth span to cross the river at this site. The first was was constructed in 1890 by Mr. T. Thompson. It was replaced in 1911. This third covered bridge was built in 1939. It was destroyed in the Christmas Flood of 1964. The current span was designed by the Oregon Bridge Corporation of Springfield. In 1975, windows were added to the south side of the bridge for lighting and safety.
Take 126 east out of Springfield to the old townsite of Rainbow. Access the bridge from McKenzie River Drive.