Otis Hamar contracted to build the current 96 foot bridge in 1926 using a Howe type truss. It replaced an uncovered bridge, and the total cost of construction was four thousand dollars. In the early 1900's Chitwood, named for local resident Joshua Chitwood, was a water and coaling stop for the coastal railroad. It was also an important town for the logging community which featured several stores, a post office and a dance hall. Only the boarded up remnants of Smith's store remains today.
The bridge is located west of Eddyville just off of highway 20.