Originally, Irish Bend bridge crossed a slough near the tight bend in the Willamette River which was named for the pioneers of mostly Irish descent who settled this area. It was built in 1954. After the realignment of Irish Bend Road in 1975 the bridge was allowed to deteriorate until 1988 when the Irish Bend Advisory Committee raised $30,000 which was matched by Benton County. These funds were used to resurrect this structure on the Oregon State University campus where today this Howe truss span of 60 ft. traverses Oak Creek.
In Corvallis, follow highway 20 west to 53rd Street, turn right an watch for the bicycle/pedestrian path. The bridge is about one mile east of 53rd.