Page 01Line Tests Abrasion & Casting
Braided lines listed in order of best to worst.
- 24 cycles Power Pro 20lb
- 18 cycles Cortland Master Braid 20lb
- 16 cycles Sufix Performance Braid 20lb
- 13 cycles Sufix 832 20lb
- 10 cycles Spiderwire Invisi-braid 20lb
- 10 cycles Fins Windtamer 20lb
- 10 cycles Fins Original PRT 20lb
- 10 cycles Momoi Diamond braid 20lb
- 10 cycles Stren Sonic Braid 20lb
- 60 cycles Stren Super Braid (50lb)
- 59 cycles Berkley Fireline Original 20lb
- 2.5 cycles Fins XS 20lb
Monofilament and leaders.
- 80 cycles 15lb Ande Back Country mono
- 88 cycles 12lb Silver Thread AN40 mono
- 133 cycles 20lb Seguar Fluorocarbon leader
- 128 cycles 20lb Stren Fluorocarbon leader
CASTING OF BRAIDED LINES
- Sufix 832
- Spiderwire Invisi-Braid, Cortland Master Braid, Fins Windtamer
- Stren Sonic Braid, Momoi Diamond Braid, Fins Original PRT
- Power Pro. Sufix Performance Braid
- Fins XS
- Berkley Fireline Original
There wasn’t that much difference in the casting first 4 but the Sufix 832 was smoother and cast a bit further. It did seem that the smoother lines were a little better in distance. The Fins XS casted good if there was no breeze or wind at all. We all know that is rare. I would really like to see this line with a tighter “pick” or more weaves per inch. I think this would make it more abrasion resistant and not flatten out. What do I know I just use the line? The colors of the Fins XS are great looking and seemed to hold color very well.
TESTING EQUIPMENT and METHOD
The items that I used for the abrasion test are a 2 inch diameter PVC pipe covered with 120 grit aluminum oxide emery cloth. Attached to the lines being tested is a 2oz weight. Each length of line was 18 inches long as Pictured below.The lines were pulled evenly at a slow speed up and down between the tape marked area on the line until the line broke. Each line was tested several times to get the average number of pulls before the line broke. I pulled the line slow so heat would not be a factor.
Go to page 02