Pauline's School Uniforms
Information, opinions, and useful links for people questioning or studying the current trend towards mandatory public school uniforms and/or restrictive public school dress codes.
* * * * * *
* * * * * *
This Web Page by Pauline Harding for Art Nurk.
Background Information on School Dress Codes and Uniform Policies:
points to keep in mind as you consider changes to a school's dress code.
Opinions and Arguments about School Uniforms:
· Writing a paper on uniforms? Having a debate? Setting policy for your school? Not sure what you think? Start here! Many links to essays, articles, lists, etc.
· Over the years there have been legal challenges to dress codes, and legal issues with the more recent uniform policies. Check out these links to learn more.
· The United States is a diverse country, with people of many faiths and backgrounds. It's important to allow all students to conform with the rules and traditions of their religions, and to identify with their family's history and culture.
· Check out articles on the recent "Straight Pride" incident, an excellent case study, along with the usual cross-dressing stuff.
· So you've got a restrictive dress code or uniform policy and you want to show your feelings about it through "creative compliance". Check here for ideas on looking cool and expressing yourself while still being in compliance!
· Studies, compliance issues, enforcement. Read this page before you implement a policy in your district.
· Some resources for teachers planning to discuss dress codes and school uniforms in the classroom.
· Companies that make or sell school uniforms have a vested interest in promoting their use. On the other hand, when kids just wear regular clothes to school, no one in particular makes a profit.
· Some school districts have experienced a lot of conflict over the issue of manditory school uniforms. Check out these web pages, created by groups of concerned parents.
· Here's even more stuff about Public School Uniforms and Dress Codes.
This web site was last updated on 10/21/06.