Henderson County Photo Studio
Dr. John Dorsey
Dr. John Dorsey had the first home in Corydon, Kentucky--Log Cabin--Sold to Charles L. King. Member of the first graduating class of University of Louisville, in Medicine. Member of Presbyterian Church.* Dates of birth and death listed in Book E,
page 300 in Henderson Co., Ky.! First Postmaster in Corydon, Kentucky. From Methodism in Kentucky by Redford--Corydon Precinct was established. 20 Dec. 1851 and a voting place appointed at a house built upon the ground, now within the limits of the beautiful little town of Corydon-then perhaps only 2 or 3 cabins. The aged and
respected Dr. John N. Dorsey settled 1848 where the town of Corydon is now situated, and built the first cabin--a little log but of a concern, in the forest upon a hill, now ornamented by the handsome residence of Charles L. King.
In 1868 Dr. Dorsey, purchased land for $4.50 per acre, the identical ground on which the town of Corydon is now situated. A weekly mail was establishd and brought on foot or horseback, by some of the settlers from the Point now Smith Mills.
Dr. J.N. Dorsey was one of the men responsible for the creation of the Corydon
High School--25 Mar. 1872.
*See first Deed Book, Henderson
Return to the Henderson County Photo Studio
Return to the Henderson County KyGenWeb Home Page