DR. JOHN N. DORSEY was born in Jefferson County, Kentucky, on the thirty-first day of December, 1811, and, at the age of seven years, came with his father, Noah Dorsey, to Henderson County, and settled on what is known as the Strong Water farm, then owned by General Samuel Hopkins. Three months after he removed three miles below the present site of Corydon, and there remained until he arrived at the age of thirteen or fourteen. He then returned to Jefferson County and was there educated. In 1834 he went to Hardin County and did business for an uncle, at the same time applying his leisure moments to the study of medicine. Not long after this he graduated from the Louisville Medical Institute, and went to West Point to practice his profession. The Doctor tarried but a short time at West Point, and then removed to Daviess County, where he resided for seven years. He then came to Henderson and located at Corydon, and his wife had the honor of giving the office and village its name. He built, in 1848, the first house, a log cabin; also, in connection with his brother, established the first store at the place. The territory that the Doctor then practiced over has now fourteen or fifteen physicians, and all of them claiming a liberal practice. Dr. Dorsey's first wife having died many years ago, he again married, selecting for his second wife Mrs. Isabella Philips, of this county. He is in comfortable circumstances, and takes life easy in his old age, greatly beloved by all who know him.
The History of Henderson County, Kentucky by Starling 1887 page 777-78;
Return to the Henderson County KyGenWeb Home Page