PROF. J. MAURICE BACH was born near Interlacken, Switzerland, in the year 1854, and, when quite young, came to America with his parents and settled in Ohio. A writer has said of him: "His musical instinct, especially for the piano forte, betrayed itself from his early childhood. His parents were ever ready with willing hands and open heart to assist him, and immediately secured the best obtainable teachers that could be found. His progress at once was so marvelous that, at twelve years of age, he assisted at charitable concerts for home institutions, etc. After some years of arduous study and a successful provincial concert tour, his young heart yearned for a higher plane upon which he could develop his musical powers. He, in consequence, returned to Europe, where he entered the Stern Conservatory of Music at Berlin, also receiving private tuition from the celebrated teachers, Jean Voght and Ehrlich, thence under the personal tuition of Riedel and Reinecke at Leipzig. In 1873, '74, he made successful concert tours alone, and also in connection with other companies, through the southern parts of Germany and his native country, Switzerland, receiving general plaudits everywhere. He again resume his studies at Leipzig, but finally came to America, where he gave many piano recitals of extraordinary merit, especially in his own State. He has on many occasions been associated with concert companies. Organized the Tiffin Philharmonic Society (vocal), of which he was musical director for four years. Of late years his chief success has been in the vocation of teaching the art of piano-forte playing. It may be added here that he is an admirable organist and has always commanded a good position in that capacity." During the year 1883 Prof. Bach removed to and settled in Henderson, having accepted the position of organist of the First Presbyterian Church. He soon became identified with the musical interest of the city, and was not long in impressing his eminent qualifications as teacher and artist upon the lovers of music with whom he came in contact. He here met his life's fate in the person of Miss M. Henrietta Stolz, a lady of the highest culture, and rare teacher of vocal and instrumental music, whom he married in 1884. Mrs. Bach was educated under Dr. F. Ziegfeld, of Chicago and L. A. Phelps; pupil of Garcia, in Paris, and Lamperti, Milan, Italy. She has been signally successful in her teaching and has shown herself a master of her chosen profession. How happily blended those two lives are and what a pleasing co-incident that they should have met in Henderson. Truly it can be said of them "Two souls with but a single thought, two hearts that beat as one." Prof. Bach, since September, 1886, has been Professor and Director of the Musical Department of the Henderson Female Seminary, and, by his strict attention to duty and rapid development of his pupils, has secured a large and remunerative patronage. He is assisted by his wife, and the two together are unsurpassed in the art of teaching.
The History of Henderson County, Kentucky by Starling 1887 page 756-57;
Return to the Henderson County KyGenWeb Home Page