WILLIAM EDWARD LABREY was born at New Albany, Indiana, June 9th, 1844, and was educated from the city schools of that place. He is a son of Edward Labrey and Theresa Palmer. His paternal grandfather, Anthony Labrey, died in Paris, France; his maternal grandfather, R. J. Palmer, who was the first President of the Iron Mountain Railroad and grocery merchant, died in 1865, at Hanover, now Crystal City, Missouri.
Our subject has always manifested a taste for active life and from that disposition, before his majority, engaged in trading in stock and following teaming for a livelihood. He was one of the first to volunteer his services to the support of the Union at the breaking out of the late war, and was mustered into the Thirty-eighth Indiana Regiment at New Albany, on the seventeenth day of June, 1861. His regiment was assigned to Scribner's Brigade, General Rousseau's Division, Army of the Cumberland. At the noted and terrible battle of Perryville, Mr. Labrey served as Ordinance Master and was placed in charge of an ordinance train. While there, in the discharge of his duty, he was wounded in the left side and was given a six months' leave of absence. He afterwards was appointed Wagon Master of the Fourteenth Army Corps, General Walcott commanding. Prior to Walcott, the Fourteenth Corps was commanded by General George H. Thomas, so distinguished for his fighting pluck and splendid military judgment. Mr. Labrey participated in many battlers and skirmishes, notably Perryville, Chickamauga and Kennesaw Mountain. At Chickamauga he was the second time wounded while trying to rally a wagon train. For all this, the Government has recognized his services by placing his name upon the pension rolls--a recognition worthily bestowed. Three months after the close of the war--in 1865--Mr. Labrey was in charge of one of the largest Government Wagon Post.
June 15th, 1865, at New Albany, he was married to Miss Minnie Gilchrist, and this union has been blessed by the birth of seven children, Maude, Effie, Bert, Kate, Annie, Minnie and Wilbur. In 1867, our subject with, his then little family, came to Henderson, where he has been engaged, up to this writing, in teaming, contracting and carrying on a livery business. It is due to say of him that, by energy and industry, knowing no limit, he has proven his metal, gained a snug property and lives happily in the society of a loving family and a host of friends.
Our subject was raised a Catholic, but, several years ago, united with the Baptist Church. He is a member of the Masonic and Odd Fellow fraternities, as he is also a member of the Iron Hall Insurance Benefit and the Grand Army of the Republic Societies. He is a member of the Henderson Fire Department, having, during his membership, filled all of the chairs, and performed upon numerous occasions, a noble duty, for which he is held in high esteem.
The History of Henderson County, Kentucky by Starling 1887 page 726-27;
Return to the Henderson County KyGenWeb Home Page