George Washington McClure

by Edmund Starling, 1886

GEORGE WASHINGTON McCLURE.

The subject of this sketch was born in Union County, seven miles east of Morganfield, on the seventeenth day of April, 1833, and was the only child of Alexander McClure, of Rockbridge County, Virginia, a come to Kentucky in 1812. His early education was obtained from the ordinary schools of his county, until at the age of fourteen years he was sent to New Albany, Indiana, and placed under the tutorage of Prof. John B. Anderson. He remained three years at New Albany, and then entered Centre College, Danville, where he completed his education. He then returned to Union County, and commenced farming upon a large and successful scale.  At the age of twenty-six, and in January, 1859, Mr. McClure was married to Miss Mary H. Dixon, daughter of Captain Henry Dixon, and granddaughter of Capt. Hal Dixon. On January 1st, 1870, he removed with his family to Henderson County, and on the first day of January, 1872, occupied his new and handsome residence in the town of Corydon, where he has since continued to reside.

Mr. McClure has served a number of terms as Trustee of the Public School of the town of Corydon, and twice or more times honored in his appointment as Chairman. For five years or more he has been appointed by the County Court, Trustee of the Henderson High School. In every position of trust he has evinced marked ability and good, reliable judgment. Mr. McClure is a man of large means and is regarded one of the staunchest men of the county. His home is one of the happiest and handsomest. Mrs. McClure is a most excellent lady, of fine judgment, and to her, perhaps, a great share of credit is due her husband's success in life. They have three children. The eldest, Miss Anna, married several years since, Mr. L. E. Hearne, of Boyle County. Henry is a brilliant young man, and will eventually make his mark in the world. Within the last twelve months, Mr. McClure has built in Corydon a magnificent flouring mill of large capacity and capable of turning out the best brands of flour known to the trade.


The History of Henderson County, Kentucky by Starling 1887 page 730;

Return to the Henderson County KyGenWeb Home Page