JOSHUA GUNN STAPLES, son of Joshua Staples and Elmira J. Jeffries, both of Virginia, was born March 27th, 1840, in Henderson County. He received his education from the common schools of the county, and, at an early age, entered a printing office to learn the art of type-setting. He followed this life with an assiduity of purpose that soon brought him ample means for his own support. Several years afterwards, he, in connection with A. J. Speidel, purchased the Henderson Reporter and became its publishers and editors for fifteen years. The Reporter was a leading Democratic paper and took a lively and active part in all of the political campaigns anterior to and during the war. So Democratic was it, that, at one time during the war, its publishers were compelled to cease publication for a time, but it again blossomed out in the fullness of its former glory, and became a power. Mr. Staples was a hard-working, painstaking man of business, and, by economy and close application to his work, laid up a very snug little bank account. In a1877 or '78, he sold his interest to William A. Miller, purchased himself a farm, and removed to the country. March, 1866, he married Miss Harriet E. Grigsby, by whom he had four children, two of whom are living. Mrs. Staples died in 1873. In March 1876, Mr. Staples married his second wife, Miss Lizzie Lockett, daughter of David P. and Lucinda Lockett, and unto them have been born five children, two of whom are dead. Mrs. Staples is a lady of high character, and thoroughly domestic. For twenty-five years Mr. Staples has been a member of the Baptist Church, and for perhaps that number of years a member of the Masonic Fraternity. He is the owner of one hundred and twenty-five acres of the finest Henderson County land, and is a remarkably successful farmer. He recently sold his interest in the saddlery and harness business in this city, to his brother-in-law, Joseph K. Lockett, and is now devoting himself to his farming interest and making money.
The History of Henderson County, Kentucky by Starling 1887 page 757-58;
Return to the Henderson County KyGenWeb Home Page