HON. HENRY FIELDING TURNER was born on the twenty-ninth day of April, 1829, in Fayette County, Kentucky. He was the fourth son of Judge Fielding Lewis Turner, who immigrated to Fayette County with his father, Lewis E. Turner, from Loudon County, Virginia, in the year 1786.
Henry F. Turner graduated in the Law Department of the Transylvania University, Lexington, at the age of nineteen years. and was admitted to the bar in Lexington during the same year. On the twenty-eighth day of February, 1849, the Legislature passed an act relieving him of the disabilities of minority; and thus he was fully authorized to practice his chosen profession. This was, perhaps, the first special act of the kind ever passed in the State, the General Law requiring the applicant to be twenty-one years of age. Mr. Turner has been a close student of his profession from that day to the present time.
On the eighth day of May, 1850, he was married to Miss Lucinda, the only daughter of Doctor John Slavens, of Harrodsburg. They removed to Henderson County in the year 1852, and settled the place where they now reside. Having been born and raised upon a farm, Mr. Turner has always loved the pursuit of agriculture, which he now carries on to a considerable extent, in addition to the practice of law. He was a large owner of slaves, and took the world easy, having around him all of the old-time luxuries Kentucky gentlemen were so wont to have in ante bellum days. His hospitable house was a home indeed where every caller was made to feel that he or she were at a second home. Nor has any of the old-time hospitality departed from this place; the latch string still hangs on the outside, and the same habits are indulged in living and manners, as were the custom in the good old times long passed away. Mrs. Turner is a lady of model intelligence and domestic virtues, and has been a life partner worthy the love bestowed upon her by her devoted husband. They have raised a family of brilliant children, four of whom are now living: Mrs. Josie Allen, of Chicago; Fielding L., of Ballard County; Mrs. W. W. Shelby, and Miss Lucie, now living in Henderson. These ladies occupy the highest social positions, and are eminently fitted to adorn any station in life. Mr. Turner came to Henderson at a time when its bar was one of the strongest in the State, but, by close application and watchfulness, he soon rose to the front, and has held that position to the present time. As a lawyer, he has been exceptionally successful, has made a fine record, and stands deservedly high at the bar. As a skillful and far-seeing business man, he has few equals in Henderson; has refused, with one exception, all offers to engage in political turmoil, confining himself, with all his energy to his own business interests, and to a lively participation in the business and social prosperity of his city and county. He has accumulated a handsome estate and enjoys life in the home of a happy and loving family. Mr. Turner has frequently served his city as Council advisor, and for a number of years has served as director of the Farmers Bank; is a liberal contributor to every worthy public enterprise. He is a member of the Masonic Fraternity, having attained to the sublime degree of Knights Templar.
The History of Henderson County, Kentucky by Starling 1887 page 732-33;
Return to the Henderson County KyGenWeb Home Page