Local History - 1600-1700s
Archeologists report that Herring Bay was among the earliest colonial settlements in Maryland. Anne Arundel County’s Lost Towns Project has found evidence of the 1670s town of Herrington as well as the estate of Samuel and Anna Chew, whose house overlooking Herring Bay was one of the largest buildings in the mid-Atlantic region in the 1770s. Holly Hill, which is in the nearby village of Friendship, was originally was built by Samuel Harrison in 1698.
Links to research reports and other documents are provided below.