Memories of the Nea Hellas

To many millions of Greeks, the steamship Nea Hellas was the ship of dreams. Many of those who were looking for a piece of their family's distant past have been kind enough to email me their memories of this ship. I thank them for sharing their recollections, and thereby adding to her history. If you have any personal memories, personal photographs or memorabilia from a voyage aboard the Nea Hellas, Tuscania or the New York, please contact me through the email link at the end of this web page and I will include them in future updates.


This rare color photo is from 1956. She was 34 years old, and had 5 years left. The long era of trans-Atlantic travel via steamship was coming to an end.



 We are very fortunate to have received a unique contribution from a German immigrant who came to the United States a half century ago on the T.S.S. New York.

This generous gift is a video made from a film on a crossing from Bremerhaven, West Germany to New York City in October of 1955.


This web site and its readers owe a debt of gratitude to Mr. Rainer Mueller





from Fraser MacKinnon, Michigan "I just learned today that my mother sailed on the Tuscania on her voyage from Glasgow to New York. They were from Scotland. They arrived in New York on October 2, 1923. They went to Joliet, Illinois and eventually settled in Michigan where she died in the 70's. I found your web site and was very pleased to find the pictures of the Tuscania. These pictures will go into the genealogy booklet I am compiling. Thank you for the pictures and the history of the ship."

The newly launched Anchor Liner TSS Tuscania in 1923 seen here in this rare hand colored postcard


From Lackey Paparis, Williamsburg, Virginia "My mother and I came over in 1952 on the Nea Hellas. I was only 2 1/2 years old and was almost lost overboard trying to catch a large dead fish. When I was older, my mother would tell me of the great ship that brought us over to America. I always wondered what this ship looked like. Now, thanks to you I will blow this picture up and hang it in our restaurant. Last June I sent an e-mail to the Greek Embassy in Washington asking about pictures on the Nea Hellas. The reply was to contact a newspaper in Greece, which ran a feature on past Greek ships. I had a friend in Greece who sent a copy of the newspaper. The picture of the Nea Hellas was very disappointing, but at least I knew how the ship looked from the rear. During the summer I tried several internet search sites with no luck. Then a couple weeks ago I just happened to try another internet site and your page came up. I took the pictures the very next day to my mother who was very surprised that I found such beautiful pictures of the ship. They brought back memories. My daughter made a wallpaper for my computer of the big picture. Thank you very much for making the site, I hope you have had a lot of responses from other passengers. If You every come to Williamsburg, please stop by at our restaurant the Yorkshire. It will be a pleasure to meet you in person."

From Moe Erlich, Cape Cod, Massachussets "Thanks for your story. My Dad lives in Brooklyn, NY) The Nea Hellas brought him to Halifax in 1950, he met my mom in Toronto and I was born in Montreal. They both lost everyone in The Holocaust and this ship represented freedom to the New World for him. He's 75 now but loves to tell the story of how the ship was caught in a great storm in the middle of the ocean, and how he found himself walking into an empty dining area asking an amazed crew member what was being served. He said that after surviving what he had in Europe (the deaths of his loved ones, The Nazis, dysentery-which was usually deadly back then and starvation) a storm, no matter how big, was not going to keep him from eating! This story is true and will become legendary in my family. I printed out all your pages in color and plan to send it to my Dad as part of a Father's Day present. He mentions the ship, every so often, as a fond memory. The internet is truly amazing-I just got on a few months ago and it's finding people like you that makes it all worthwhile! Sharing memories with the few that would understand. Please feel free to use it on your web page if you see fit."


From Judy Larribaut, United Kingdom "Just to let you know that my father travelled on the neahellas from Greenock on the Clyde to South Africa via the med during the early part of 1944.It was an uneventual trip carrying RAF aircrew trainees to South Africa for their flying training."

From Theodore Ierapetritis, Sydney Australia "I am the son of an once upon a time high-ranking officer of the Royal Hellenic Navy - which makes me an oldie, damn it! Anyway your page and photograph of New Hellas did not fail to almost bring tears to my eyes. Too many memories of Hellas, of childhood, of our father and travelling every summer, by ship of course, to Athens to spend our holidays with yia-yia ....Simply a torrent of pleasant memories, and for which I'm very grateful to you for them. But what a lovely sojourne that was and I thank you for it." 

From Henry Lacina, Sydney Australia " My parents, Mieczyslaw Lacina and his new bride Janina, came to Australia from Europe after WW2 on the Nea Hellas. They traveled overland from Germany where they were liberated from forced labour on German farms. They decided not to return to their native Poland because they feared that Europe may erupt into war again one day, so they applied for Australian immigration under work contracts. After arriving in Naples, Italy they were taken to the dock to board the Nea Hellas. They were brought before two American officers, one reading from a list of passengers, and another seated next to a briefcase full of US bills. They were pleasantly surprised when they were allocated $7.00 US, as 'pocket money' for the voyage, but were less pleased when they discovered that they would be bunking in separate male and female quarters!

My mother was seasick for most of the voyage but dad was in his element after an initial queaziness. They were surprised to see that although the ship had been commissioned by the Australian government to bring over displaced persons from the war, the ship had its full compliment of staff and they were given First-Class service! They ate everything they could get their hands on and enjoyed dancing, singing and other forms of impromptu entertainment. After many years of poverty and hunger in Europe, to be able to go back for seconds at the dinner table was like being in heaven!

Along with the dancing and singing, regular boxing bouts to amuse the boys.


My father often told me about how wonderful it was to be waited on and treated like royalty; and all free of charge! He remembers bad weather on the way, and turning up in a near empty dining room as the ship was being tossed around. The seas were so rough that he marveled at seeing the two huge propellers come entirely out of the water as he leaned over the stern railing in the pitching seas.

Arriving Melbourne 23/02/1949. Train waiting to transport to Bonegeila.


After a voyage through the Suez Canal and steaming across the Indian Ocean, they arrived almost a month later on 23rd Feb 1949 at the port of Melbourne, Australia. They were taken by train to converted army barracks at Bonegeila for processing and English classes before being transported to Sydney. My parents enjoyed the rest of their lives in peace and comparative luxury in their newfound 'land of milk and honey'. My father has very fond memories of the splendid service and 'holiday of a lifetime' that the hospitable crew provided. Thank you to any surviving crew who may get to read this, and thank you for putting up such a wonderful website full of memories."



From George Flak, Montreal, Canada. "It was a thrill to find your site on the web. Our family sailed on the Nea Hellas from Genoa to Halifax in 1949, refugees sailing to a new land we knew little about. My search for the Nea Hellas started when I looked for the Pier 21 museum in Halifax, it's a recent museum that contains artifacts and the history of refugees arriving in Halifax after World War II. I thought I would find a listing of the ship we sailed on, but it hasn't been mentioned to date. I have one vivid memory of the trip, one morning in mid Atlantic, Five years old, I wandered around the ship and climbed up on one of the huge air vents near the edge, with feet dangling over the water. I was startled by my mother's scream, and almost fell overboard. From that point on I am deathly afraid of heights. I sincerely thank you for the work you have done in creating this site, I'm going to frame the pictures that you have posted, my parents have both died but I'm sure they're both happy that I found this link to our past."

From Karl-Heinz Steffens, Tamms, Illinois (One of the greatest rewards of creating the website on the Nea Hellas, has been meeting Karl. A former crew member of the TSS New York, he is an excellent example of how the internet can bring people with common interests together. Karl is treasure trove of information, but more importantly, I feel I have made a good friend!) "I served as a bellboy on the ship, from April 1958 until her last voyage in 1959. She was engaged in line service from Bremerhaven to Le Havre, Southampton, Cobh and New York. In the winter she cruised Madeira and Canary Islands, Casablanca and Lisbon. Still have many fond memories of the old girl. I have several photos of my time aboard the New York.

Yes, I have stories too. For 16 months and 25 days she was my home. Sailors (even though I was just 14,when I started to work), are sentimental about their ships. It was a sad moment, to leave her. I transferred to her running mate, the Q.S.S. "Arkadia" then engaged in the Bremerhaven-Quebec-Montreal service. 33 years ago, I promised my wife-to-be, that I would never go to sea again. I kept that promise; but never lost my love for the sea and ships, especially the "Music Ships", the passenger liners. I am always looking for ship related items on the net, and when I spotted the "Nea Hellas" site, I knew that I had found something special. It was like an early Christmas present. My daughter, who is getting me membership in the World Ship Society for Xmas, wished that she had found your site first. On the "New York" I saw, for the first time, the White Cliffs of Dover, my first sunset at sea, icebergs, northern lights and the Statue of Liberty, as well as New York's breathtaking skyline. Aboard her, I met my first love, Kay Stromberg of Albuquerque, NM. You see, I still remember her name. We weathered the fringes of 2 hurricanes. when towering waves came crashing down on the decks and the wind howled like a banshee. Each time we had to change course because the engines just did not have as much power as the angry ocean. On a "Sunshine Cruise" from Southampton to Madeira, the Canaries, Casablanca and Lisbon, the "New York" was struck by a maverick Wave in the Bay of Biscay. It was the day of the Captain's Farewell Dinner, which was followed by a dance and a midnight cold buffet. Or was to be followed. The wave struck about 11pm,when the dance and preparations were fully underway. The ship listed sharply to starboard and kept going and going. The hurricanes excited me, this scared me badly. You could hear crashing sounds from all over the ship. In the ballroom champagne bottles hit the deck and exploded, dancers were sliding through the shards, in the dining room the elaborate cold buffet flew everywhere. An ice sculpture depicting Poseidon with a 5 pound can of Beluga caviar in his hands became ice cubes, lobster pyramids separated, broken salt shakers made walking treacherous. In little over a minute it was over. Over 100 passengers injured, none seriously. On the "New York" I also attended my first, and only, burial at sea, got drunk for the first time (Dec.31'58) and learned how a hangover felt (Jan 1 '59). I guess the old lady was my first love! She was in the twilight of her years, when the Greek Line transferred her to the Northern Route. By the summer of 1959, her age caught up with the "New York" She suffered a number of breakdowns, drifting for hours on the Atlantic, while repairs were being made. She had simply worn out! You are right; the New York was never a glamour ship. She was, like most, simply a workhorse. Doing a job, without any fanfare. Now had she hit an iceberg, who knows..... But she was popular with her passengers. The "Sunshine Cruises" from Southampton were always booked solid. She should have been retired, re-stored and renamed "Nea Hellas" and made into a ship museum, to display the rich Greek maritime culture. Old sailing ships are pampered, but nobody wants old passenger liners though they played an important part in the history of this, or any other country. They are fading away fast, cut up and made into Toyotas. And look what has replaced them. Sleek new cruise liners, who look like they were designed and built by Lego. Almost all are ugly as sin. No rake, no character, just floating Motel 6's."



From Geordie Whitwell, United Kingdom "I traveled as one of the 600,000 troops in late 1943 to North Africa. My memories were all not pleasant ones, I am afraid, as we were travelling in convoy and the weather through the Bay of Biscay was atrocious. From your photographs I can see where I was exactly quartered. One of the port holes could not be secured properly and every time the ship dug her nose into the water the anchor went clang against the hull and seawater came gushing in. I don't remember her as the Nellie Wallace. I thought ore of it as being "near Hell". However she was the first ship I sailed in and I will never forget her and I thank you for giving me the chance of finding out what eventually became of her."

From Frank Cserepy, Northwest Territories, Canada "Thank you so much for the web site. It gave me information on this ship that I never had before. Your account of the Nea Hellas does miss out on an important part of her service as a post-war refugee ship ferrying European refugees to North America. This is when I as a 9-year old boy, my mother and father and two younger sisters were on her passenger manifest sailing from Naples to Halifax with stops at Genoa and Lisbon in the summer of 1949. She certainly was a good looking ship! My memories of her include watching 16 mm movies in the open air on the aft deck when weather permitted, being pushed in by some bully into the (salt water) swimming pool - the defining moment at which I vowed that I would learn how to swim - and one bad storm in which the whole family with the exception of my father stayed in our cabin, sicker than dogs. My Dad and a handful of others who were unaffected by the ship's motion went to the dining room for their meals and were served in solitary spendour. I still have my "Landed Immigrant" card given to me at Pier 21 (Canada's equivalent of Ellis Island) in July of that year. The ship is important for me because it brought about the greatest change in our lives: our emigration to Canada and the start of a new life in this wonderful country. The Nea Hellas was and is the only ocean liner I have ever sailed on. It was during the heyday of ocean travel when airliners were still propeller driven and air travel (especially for refugees) was prohibitively expensive. Thanks again for putting this together."

From Nicholas Dinos, Athens Ohio "My memories are dark. My family had gone to Greece in 1938 (my mother and father were immigrants from Janina), apparently to stay. At the time (I was 4 1/2) I thought we were going for a visit. (I was born here). But through 1939, the situation in Europe grew more difficult and finally, of course, Hitler invaded Poland on Sept.1 and the world was at war. My father and mother were both naturalized American citizens long before, but the Greek government took the position that a Greek is always a Greek and , while they would allow my mother, my sister (age 2) and me to return to the US, if we could, my father had to stay and fight. My father had done quite well in business and he was able to bribe (that's the only word which fits) his way up the government chain (he and family had good "connections") until he got General Metaxas to agree that we could leave. By that time, it was late September and my father had got tickets on the Nea Hellas back to New York. My mother, sister, and I were on board (it was a night sailing) and my father jumped out of a taxi at the last moment as the gang plank was being withdrawn. The ship left Piraeus and somewhere shortly thereafter, maybe near Malta or Sicily, we were accosted by a German submarine, which caused us all to be forced to stay on deck with life preservers on for (as I recall) a couple of days and nights. Eventually, I am told, a British submarine appeared and the German sub went off. e then continued for a total, I believe, of 17 days until we got to New York. I still remember the trip on the Nea Hellas. My mother till the day she died in 1989, at 81, kept telling me to remember lifeboat No.9, which was the boat she was assigned to, and had, as I later found out, intended to get Bette and me on it, and then stay with my father, even if it meant that we would be orphaned. I'd really be interested in any information anyone has about that trip of the Nea Hellas in the last week of September 1939 and the first week or two of October. As I was then 5 1/2 , am not certain how much is true, how much is embellished, and how much is just a frightened child misinterpreting events."

From Jon Hall, Ontario Canada "My father and mother emigrated to Canada from England in 1957. The only passage they could get was on the Greek Line because my mother was pregnant. I was four. My brother was three. We arrived in New York in March and took the train to London Ontario. We arrived in Canada on my fifth birthday, March 20, 1957. I have no memories of the trip itself although we have a photograph of the four of us standing on deck in lifejackets during an evacuation drill. My brother and I in short pants and knee socks with my very fat mother and formally dressed father standing in long wool coats. One of the steamer trunks we used on the voyage sat in my bedroom for years and I was very familiar with the sticker which read "Not wanted on voyage." This site contains some fascinating details which fill in some of my past. Thank you for creating it." 

From Jitze Couperus, United Kingdom "The Nelly Wallace had at least one voyage in the fall of 1947 from Mombasa (East Africa) back to the U.K. - carrying amongst others many families who had become stranded or for whatever reason passed World War II in East Africa - e.g. many RAF pilots were trained in East Africa, (good weather for trainee pilots - and not bothered by enemy aircraft) and the training squadron based in Nairobi was one example of quasi-military folks getting passage back to the UK. Others were support personnel who became conscripted in East Africa to support the convoying of South African Army detachments overland to fight the Italians in Ethiopia and later Rommel in the desert. This was the first chance for my family to visit Europe and relatives after the war - I was 5 at the time, and arrived in Europe for the worst winter (1947) they had had in a long time. I can barely remember it - I know that as a 5-year old I had to bunk with my Dad in the mens' quarters while my Mom and Sister bunked in the Women's part of the ship. Nice to see her featured on her own web-site!"

From Christine Hrissanthou Wilson, Massachussets "My parents sailed to America on the Nea Hellas in the fall of 1954.They landed in Boston in either October or November. I am trying to reach my mother to get the details. They hit a hurricane during their crossing and the ship was almost lost. For years I have wanted to get details of their voyage for them but never had the time to research. Now that I am on line I thought I would look it up. I was very surprised to find a site with all of this information. I have spoken to my mother and have received the details of her journey to the USA. It seems that hers was the final trip that Nea Hellas made before she was sold to Japan. They left Piraeus sometime between 19-22 of October. They hit a hurricane right after passing the Strait of Gibraltar sometime after midnight of the 25th. The ship had sent out a mayday distress call as her engines were taking on water. The ship was up on an angle and everyone was not expecting her to survive. The passengers were all confined to their rooms. Some how they managed to bail the water out and the ship righted herself and continued on her course. I know that there was a write up about her experience in some newspaper, probably the New York papers, but I have not had the time to do any research. They arrived in to New York on the 2nd of November 1954. If you or anyone has any more information I would love to receive correspondence. This is a great site. I was very moved to find pictures of this amazing vessel. I look forward to hearing back from someone. Thank you." 

From Callie Englesson, Bethlehem, Pennsylvania "I had the privilege to have traveled on the Nea Hellas. We left Hoboken, NJ on June 6, 1950. It was a wonderful trip. There was dancing every night--and they had a great orchestra. Most of the dancing was done by the Greek Americans, and we had a great time. The food was good in every class--First, Second and Tourist. The facilities in Tourist weren't as good as the rest of the ship. They showed American movies. Since I spoke both languages fairly well, many of the crewmen would save me a special seat so that I could translate for them. The sea was calm all the way across the Atlantic Ocean. It took about 5 days to reach Lisbon and I began to feel like Columbus seeking the East by that time. We stopped off at Lisbon, stayed overnight, went to a nice restaurant, did a lot of sightseeing all night; and left the next day for Gilbraltar. We sailed along the coast of Spain, France and then Italy. Our next stop was Genoa. We took a bus ride to Porto Fino. Next stop was Naples; we went to Pompeii, then toured Naples. This trip was shortly after the War, and many Italians were returning home. We watched from the rail as they were met by their relatives, they cried, and we cried! On June 25 we reached Piraeus, and then it was our turn to cry as we met our relatives! It was an unforgettable trip, and I will always remember every minute of it! We had just emerged from WWII, times had been hard, and the coming of the brides brought much love and excitement in the Greek American communities. I would be pleased if you include my comments in your history of the Nea Hellas. I have many pleasant stories to tell, and I'm actually writing a complete history of the four months that I spent in Greece that summer. Incidentally, when I returned, I was engaged. My return trip took 18 days, it was a very rough voyage; many people got seasick. We had Jewish refugees on board, and many of them had numbers tattooed on their arms. When I questioned one lady she said "Aushwitz"! Three months after I returned home, my fiancÚ flew back. It was a three-day trip. Planes were not what they are today. We have been married 49 years; have three children and three grandchildren. It has been a good life!"

From Jim Kalafatis, New York City "I made four crossings on this ship , and they were all full of adventures I can never forget. To a young boy four fourteen day voyages to and from Greece, with stops at the Azores, Lisbon, Malta, Naples, and Halifax taught me there was another world out there! It seems the two times I made the eastward passage en route to Piraeus, I always had to earn my 'sea legs' for one day, but after that I became an old salt. I remember the ship's Captain letting me blow her steam whistle at noon to allow passengers to set their watches to the changing time zones. What a thrill to a seven  year old!  I remember the great food, the new friends, and  crewmembers who were my dad's old friends. To a young boy who called the Nea Ellas home for a total of eight weeks, The Nea Ellas will never be forgotten. The era of scheduled trans Atlantic ocean travel is unfortunately long gone. 

My dad had not seen his family since 1940 and was returning after a 13 year absence.  it was time to go back and bring his young American born son, so that he could meet his grand parents. On April 22, 1953 my dad and I left New York harbor aboard the Nea Hellas. I'll never forget that day.

Mom, grandma and family friends came to Hoboken to see us off. I missed the last two months of the second grade for that journey, but the trip taught me so much more about life than any second grade curriculum could have ever. Our arrival in Piraeus is still vivid in my memory.  I still remember the emotion, the tears, the great hugs, the first night time glimpses of a strange third world port city.  World War II bomb damage was still much in evidence. Several story partially standing apartment houses where walls were missing, were inhabited with makeshift curtains where walls had once been. Poverty was rampant. I was struck by  glimpses of Gypsy women with babies in their arms begging for loose change to feed their children, or kids my age working as shoeshine boys. It was quite a contrast to the comparative luxury of growing up in a working class neighborhood in New York City. I remember that first bright morning following our arrival, being awoken at 7am by the first calls of the traveling street merchants, shouting about the sweetness of their karpuzia (watermelons) or araposika, as their donkeys pulled carts down the street.  Those trips were the beginnings of a lifelong love affair with Greece. I have made many trips to Greece by air since that time, and like my father, I too have introduced my children Greece, so they too can see and learn about the land of their ancestors. The Nea Ellas will always be one of my earliest and happiest childhood memories.

My father gave me a great gift that would forever change my outlook on life and sense of who I was. This gift was Greece, and getting there was half the fun.



From Theodore Siamas, New Jersey "Until I read the history of the TSS Nea Hellas, I never knew that I sailed on what probably was her last trans atlantic crossing (Greece to Canada). The crossing in October of 1959. There were a total of 4 people in our party. My two sisters (Vasiliki then 8, Georgia then 6) myself then 5 years old and my aunt Ellen then 18. She would be our escort for the trip. We left Greece from a small village in Atoloakardania named "Eleftheriani" about 35 kilometers outside of Nafpactos to be reunited with our parents who had left a few years earlier. Our destination was Montreal Canada. We embarked on October 12, 1959 on the T.S.S. New York bound for Quebec City, Quebec Canada and arrived on October 27, 1959.Our passenger numbers were 418, 419 and 420. Being only 5 my memories are quite limited. I do however remember the mutky and cold waters and weather when we arrived in North America. I remember a safety drill that was held once where everyone was to wear this white very bulky life saver and how Georgia my sister refused to put it on. My aunt threatened that if she did not the captain would throw her over at which point she quickly put it on. I remember the eating room and the abundance of food (anytime you were hungry) and I remember I was always hungry. The food was strange. After dinner they would serve this thing that was red and alive (it moved) we refused to eat it, later on we recognized it as jello. We would also be served bananas which again we would not eat (we had never seen them before and my aunt had warned us not to eat strange food because it would make us sick). I don't remember much more other then the fact that his voyage was one of the few that went to Quebec City, most went to Halifax, Nova Scotia. Thanks for putting this together." 

From Edmond Stawowy, Miami Beach, Florida "My name is Edmond Stawowy. I was aboard the Nea Hellas three weeks when she was part of an Allied convoy going from Algiers to Glasgow in March 1943. The convoy was attacked by German U-boats and all ships except the Nea Hellas were sunk because she carried over 100 German Africakorps prisoners of war. I arrived safely to Glasgow. I was especially interested in the Nea Hellas because I wrote a book that I am now trying to publish in which I mention the Nea Hellas extensively."  

From Demetra Tikellis Apostolou, Haverhill, Massachusetts "Upon discovering your website, I immediately got out an old photo scrap book that belonged to my mother. Here I was able to see myself as a 3 year old traveling from Piraeus to New York, September 1939 and on the Nea Hellas's last trip or close to her last trip as a private passenger liner until the end of the war. We were lucky to be on her as we had been scheduled to return to the USA later in October on the SS Saturnia, Italian registry, with which we had traveled to Greece in June. Even though the passage was somewhat risky because Germany had invaded Poland and war was on the threshold, we had a memorable trip. We sat with Captain Cadaras for dinner the entire trip and became friends. We met other passengers that we became koumbari with. We had a great trip and stopped in Gibraltar. When Germany invaded Poland, we were on the island of Lesbos in a small village visiting my grandparents. A young child told my mother, "Theia, you are not going back to the United States because the war has started. My mother asked my grandfather, "What does he mean?" Typically, my grandfather said, "are you going to listen to the words of a young child." Well my mother had my brother and I off the island the next day on our way to Athens. Upon arrival she started out to the steamship agencies trying to find us a berth. To no avail, all places taken. When she got to the office of the Nea Hellas, she became more clever and upon shaking hands with the ticket agent, slipped him some American money. That worked. He told us to come back in the afternoon and we would have our tickets. So that's how I ended up on the Nea Hellas in 1939. I asked my mother later when I was older. How much money did you give him. $10.00. When we were close to New York, we radiogrammed my father and he came to New York to pick us up. He had no idea where his family was, and thought we were still in Greece with travel plans for October. He worried so much, that when we arrived in New York, we saw my father with grey hair. One other souvenir that I have to this day is a scar on my right side of my face. While my mother and older brother were at a life boat and blackout drill, I who was supposed to be napping got into my brother shaving things (he was 15) and tried to shave my face. I cut my face and was treated in the infirmary. When they called my mother in, all I could think of was to tell her, "don't worry, it doesn't hurt a bit. I was more frightened of my mother being angry than what pain I possibly had. I have a picture of a line of young women posing for a beauty contest with me in the front as the youngest contestant. If anyone is interested, perhaps I can show it as an attachment on an e-mail to them. So after 61 years, this website has brought many memories and stories to my mind that I heard from my mother (now deceased) who always looked back on that trip with delight."





This web page is a cooperative effort of all its contributors.

Please contribute your personal memories to this tribute to a liner that touched so many lives in the twentieth century!


Please click here to share your personal memories of this ship which will be included in a future update!


To view photos & learn more about the Nea Hellas click here


The Memories here to see the latest personal memory contributions