GEORGE E. WOODS, an energetic and well-to-do farmer, pleasantly located in Stockbridge, is a native of Madison County, born in Hamilton, February 2, 1844, being a son of Edwin and Evaline (Pierce) Woods. John Woods, grandfather of our subject, was born in Madison, and here grew up under pioneer influences, attending the schools of that day, and early becoming inured to the hardships attendant upon pioneer life. Wild game was plentiful; and, as soon as old enough to use a rifle, he assisted in supplying the family larder. On reaching manhood, he bought a farm, and subsequently married Lydia Wilcox; and they reared a family of five children, none of whom survive. Mr. Woods was a prominent man in his day, and became very successful in his occupation, and the possessor of considerable land, being the owner of several farms. He also erected a saw-mill, which he operated with success. He emigrated from here to Illinois, settling
in Fulton County, in the town of Woodstock, now called Avon. Here he and his wife spent their last days in comfort, Mr. Woods, dying at the venerable age of ninety years, and Mrs. Woods when seventy-eight years old. Both were firm believers in the doctrines of the Universalist church. Politically, he was a Democrat.
Edwin Woods, father of our subject, spent his early years in the town of Madison, receiving his education in the district schools. When old enough to leave home, he learned the trade of a harness-maker, under Mr. Fox, of Morrisville. He spent several years working at his trade in Madison County, then, desiring to see more of the country, took a trip West, and spent three years in Illinois. Returning to New York, he bought a farm near Munnsville, where he spent his declining years, dying June 17, 1870, at the age of threescore years. He was twice married. The maiden name of his first wife was Evaline Pierce. She died in 1852, leaving one child, George E. Mr. Woods afterward married Mary Pierce, a sister of his first wife; and of that union two children were born. John C., born in 1857, is living on the farm
near Munnsville; and Ella P., born in 1865, is living with her brother George.
The subject of this sketch, George E. Woods, received his elementary education in the district schools of Hamilton; but, removing from there to Stockbridge with his parents when nine years of age, he attended the schools of that place. As soon as old enough to earn his own livelihood he obtained a position as clerk in the general store of C. R. Nash, of Hubbardsville, remaining with him for a period of four years. The next two years he worked in Munnsville. His father
being taken sick at that time, he was obliged to come home and take charge of the farm, which has since been under his careful supervision. The original homestead contained eighty acres of land; but the father added to it by purchase, and at the time of his death it had been increased to two hundred acres, all of which is still owned by the children. Our
subject manages this with much success, and in addition thereto has one hundred acres of his own which he carries on. He is a general farmer and stock-grower, having twenty head of grade Jerseys and some full bloods. He pays much attention to the culture of hops, raising annually ten to fifteen acres of this profitable crop.
Mr. Woods is a man of undoubted energy and industry, prospering in all his agricultural works and business transactions, and is ranked among the valued citizens of his community. Since 1882, with the exception of one year, he has served as Supervisor. In politics he is a firm Republican, and uniformly casts his vote in support of the party
in which he believes.
MadisonCountyNewYork.com All rights