HENRY K. NASH, a prosperous business man of De Ruyter, a dealer in lumber, flour, and feed, was born in Truxton, Cortland County, N. Y., October 24, 1842. His father, Thomas Nash, was born in Lincklaen, Chenango County. His grandfather Joseph Nash, born in North Castle, Westchester County, October 28, 1776, was a son of an elder Thomas, a native of Rye, Westchester County, whose father, one James Nash, coming from England to America a young man, having an income of eight hundred pounds from an entailed estate, had married a Mrs. Furman, and settled in that town.
Thomas Nash, the elder, was a hatter, who spent his time mostly on custom work. He married Sarah Sniffin, and somewhat later in life removed to Columbia County, where he died. Joseph, son of Thomas, learned his father's trade, and followed it a few years. He married in Columbia County Annie Tripp, daughter of Israel and Sarah (Reynolds) Tripp, who was born in Dutchess County. In 1811 he moved his family with team to Chenango County, and bought a tract of land in what is now Lincklaen, a part of it in Madison County, a few acres of it being cleared and containing a set of log buildings. After a few years of life in the log house the family moved into a new and commodious frame dwelling. Here he died in his sixty-ninth year, having lived to see teeming harvest fields, smiling villages, and flourishing towns take the place of the forest-covered wilderness
of his early days.
Of the six children reared in this pioneer family--Lewis, Thomas, Susan, Stephen, Artemas, and Edmund--Lewis is the only survivor at the present time. Thomas, the father of the subject of the present sketch, learned the trade of wagon-making, and later that of carpenter, at which he worked many years in the town of Lincklaen. He removed to De Ruyter some years prior to his death in that town. He married Elinor King, native of Cuyler, Cortland County, daughter
of Stephen and Margaret King, by whom he had three children--Henry K., George H., and Anna, the first-named being the only one now living.
Henry K. Nash began his studies in the district school, and finished them at De Ruyter Institute. His school-days over, he found employment first in a cheese-box factory, and later at the carpenter's trade. In 1865, at the age of twenty-one, he went to Niles, Mich., where he was employed about a year and a half in a lumber-mill. Returning to New York, he worked in Pitcher, Chenango County, three years and a half. Thence coming to De Ruyter, he followed the trade of carpenter till 1887, when he purchased the lumber-yard and feed-mills where he has since
continued, doing a thriving business. In 1863 he married Almeda Simonds, daughter of Samuel and Sally Simonds, who was born in Eaton, Madison County, September 18, 1843. She is a member of the Methodist Episcopal church. Their home is childless.
A Republican in politics, Mr. Nash is too much engaged in business to crave the cares of office; yet he has been recently elected Town Clerk. He is a member of De Ruyter Lodge, No. 692, A. F. & A. M., and De Ruyter Lodge, No. 222, A.0.U.W., and of the Royal Templars of the same place.
MadisonCountyNewYork.com All rights