L. DE FOREST BLANCHARD, a practical printer and public-spirited journalist of Earlville, was born in Cuyler, Cortland County, July 2, 1855. His grandfather, Daniel Blanchard, came to Cuyler as a pioneer, and lived and died here on a farm. Levi Blanchard, father of the subject of our present sketch, was brought up in this (his native) town, and continued a resident here until 1859, when he removed to DeRuyter, and established a wagon factory, which he conducted until the time of his death. Before leaving Cuyler, he married Louisa Hakes, daughter of Nathan and Phylinda Hakes, and a descendant (of the fifth generation) of Solomon Hakes. (See genealogy of the Hakes family, by Dr. Harry Hakes, of Wilkesbarre, Pa.) Her birthplace was Grafton, N.Y. She still lives at DeRuyter.
De Forest Blanchard is the fourth of the five children of Levi and Louisa (Hakes) Blanchard, the others being Harris C., Orrington M., Ella J., and Silas D. His education in the common and some of the higher branches of learning, in the village schools and in the DeRuyter Institute, was early supplemented by the study of telegraphy. While but a youth, he held a position of responsibility as telegrapher and station agent at Cook's Falls, Delaware County. Resigning this position in 1875, he returned to DeRuyter, and set himself to learn the printer's trade. A few years later, having become a master of the art in its various branches, he ventured, in connection with C. E. Beekman, to start a paper, the DeRuyter
New Era, the first issue of which was dated May 6, 188o. This enterprise proved successful; and the firm continued in business till 1885, and then sold out to another party, Mr. Blanchard remaining in the office till December, 1887, when he removed to Earlville, then a village of five hundred people. Here he established the Earlville
Standard, at first a seven-column, four-page paper, now enlarged to a seven-column sheet of eight pages, with a goodly circulation. In 1875 he married Helen A. Storrs, daughter of Rev. John and Eliza (Smith) Storrs, of Worcester, Otsego County. They have five children-- Leon D., Earl, Linn, Gladys, and Fred H. While a
resident of DeRuyter Mr. Blanchard served as a member of the Village Board of Trustees. He has officiated for some years as foreman of the Cyclone Fire Company. He is a member of DeRuyter Lodge, No. 692, A. F. & M; Earlville Lodge, No. 622, I. O. O. F.: Earlville Encampment, No. 21; and Earlville Lodge, No. 124, K. P. Since coming to Earlville, Mr. Blanchard, by his
energy and tact, his regard for the common weal, and his determined push, has done much to forward the business and improvement of the village. The Earlville
Standard, conducted by him on liberal principles, and with the high aim of promoting the best interests of the people is a recognized power for good in the community.
MadisonCountyNewYork.com All rights