EUGENE M. PERRY, Sheriff of Madison County and one of its most esteemed and influential citizens, was born in Georgetown, July 11, 1845. His father, Charles L. Perry, was a native of Fabius, Onondaga County, and a son of John Perry, of New England birth, who removed to New York, and was a pioneer in Fabius. An agriculturist by occupation, he spent his later years in Truxton, Cortland County. Having learned the trade of harness-making in Pompey, Onondaga County, Charles L. Perry followed it for a time, first in Georgetown and then in DeRuyter. Afterward he kept a public house in the latter-named place. Moving from there to Hamilton, he kept the Park Hotel for two years, at the end of which time he returned to Georgetown, and, opening a harness-shop, conducted that business a number of years. He finally went back to DeRuyter, his latest home and final resting place. His death, in 1887, was the result of
a kick by a horse. He married Charlotte C. Niles, a native of Lebanon, and daughter of Luther and Chloe C. Niles, pioneers of that town. Of this union there were two children. The daughter, Chloe Adellah, is the wife of T. A. Wilson, and resides in Hamilton.
Eugene M. Perry, the only son of Charles L. and Charlotte C. (Niles) Perry, passed his boyhood and youth in attending school and in helping in his father's shop. In August, 1864, at the age of nineteen years, filled with the patriotic desire of serving his country, he resolved to consecrate his young life to the cause of liberty and to the preservation of the Union, and enlisted in the Oneida Cavalry, going South with his regiment, which was stationed for some time at City Point, Va. In the spring of 1865 they marched to Richmond, and thence to Washington. In May he was discharged, and came home. From that time until 1870 he worked at his father's trade in Georgetown, and spent the following year in Stockbridge. At the end of twelve months, returning to Georgetown, he opened a harness-making shop, and continued to do a thriving business until December, 1893, when, having been elected Sheriff of the county in the preceding month of November, he closed his business, and January 1, 1894, removed to Morrisville, His marriage occurred in 1871, when he led to the altar Miss Achsah Niles, who was born in Lebanon, a daughter of Edwin and Mary J. Niles. Their happy union has been graced by one son, Harold R.
A well-informed man, one who reads the papers, is interested in public affair and keeps abreast of the times, affable in manners and a general favorite in social circles, Mr. Perry is possessed of a happy faculty for making and retaining friends, and is one of the most popular of public officials. He has served his town in the capacity of Collector, Constable, Clerk, and Supervisor. A Republican from his youth up, he cast his first Presidential vote for Ulysses S. Grant. He has been a member of the Republican County Central Committee for the past three years; was elected Supervisor in 1892, and re-elected in 1893; and served on the Committees on Equalization, Sheriff's and Jailer's Accounts, Apportionments and Loans, etc. In social and fraternal matters he is a member of Cautious Lodge, No. 726, A. F. & A. M., and was Master two years. He is also a member of Carey W. Miner Post, No. 624, Grand Army of the Republic, of which he was Officer of the Day two years.
As a public man, of high standing in the county, Mr. Perry has been faithful to every trust confided to his care; and the citizens of Madison County recognize in him one to whom they may safely confide the highest public interests. His genial disposition and unaffected manners everywhere win for him the personal esteem of those with whom he comes in contact, and have gained for him a widespread popularity. Perhaps, of all the many portraits of distinguished and representative citizens of this county that appear in this volume, there is not one that will be more warmly appreciated or greeted with greater favor than that which is presented in connection with this brief personal memoir.
MadisonCountyNewYork.com All rights