T. ALBERT STANSBURY, a promising and already highly successful young business man of Canastota, belongs to an old family, several of whose members are accorded brief mention in this memorial sketch. He was born at Tunkhannock, Pa., December 19, 1862, son of Truxton S. Stansbury, who was born at the same place in 1828. The latter was a son of Washington Stansbury, born in Baltimore County, Maryland, June 20, 1805, and he the son of Elijah Stansbury, whose father, William, was one of the earliest settlers of Baltimore and a soldier in the Revolutionary War. The veteran raised a family of four sons; namely, Abraham, William, John, and Elijah. The Stansbury family trace their origin to England,
where several of its members were prominent among the men of their time, holding positions of trust in military and civil life. On arriving at years of maturity, Elijah Stansbury married Elizabeth, daughter of Jacob Eak, a native of Switzerland. In 1809, taking with him his wife and family, he went to Tuscarawas, Stark County, Ohio, and entered land. He died in 1813, leaving five children, three sons and two daughters; namely, Tishe, Dorcas, Washington, William, and Julia Ann. The family was kept together by the mother, who, although possessed of but limited means, toiled successfully for her children. She died at the advanced age of ninety-five years and six months. Her husband was a man of abilities above the average, and was well educated.
William Stansbury, second son of the preceding, born April 20, 1807, accompanied his parents to Ohio in 1809, and became a chairmaker and painter. The first house in Richmond, Jefferson County, Ohio, was painted by him. He married in 1828 Elizabeth Armstrong, a native of Lancashire County, Pennsylvania, born August 5, 1811, daughter of John and Elizabeth (McKinley) Armstrong, the latter being of Irish extraction. After his marriage William Stansbury located himself on a farm in Tuscarawas Township, Stark County, Ohio, of which place he has to the present time been a constant resident. He and his wife became the parents of eleven children, namely, John, Joshua, Josiah, Waft, Tishe, Alsina, Joseph, Mahala, and Absalom; also Elizabeth and Thomas, who died when
young. John, Joshua, and Waft reside in Indiana, the others being still residents of Stark County, Ohio. Tishe is a marble-cutter in Massillon. Alsina is the wife of Reuben Birchfield, of the same place. Mahala is the wife of Daniel Wilhelm, of Canal Fulton.
Washington Stansbury, like his brother William, removed to Ohio with his parents. He lived at home with his mother until the age of sixteen, when he went to Richmond, Ohio, and learned the cabinet and chair-making trade with David Johnston. In 1824 he went to Pennsylvania, and first settled at Danville, Montour County, where he worked at his trade, afterward going to Orwigsburg, Schuylkill County, and from there to Wilkesbarre, Luzerne County. From the latter place he went to Tunkhannock, where in the spring of 1828 he commenced business for himself. On the 4th of September, 1828, he married Elizabeth Higgins, a resident of Wilkesbarre. She was of Irish ancestry on her father's side, and was born in the State of New Jersey on June 2, 1806. Six children were the result of this union, four sons and two daughters, as follows: Benjamin W., Aurora E., Truxton S., Henry S., George W., and Olivia E. All of these, except Aurora E. and George W., are now deceased.
The father of these children became a prominent and widely known citizen of Tunkhannock, where, in addition to his regular trade, he carried on the business of undertaking for fifty-eight years. He served five years as justice of the Peace, to which office he was elected in 1840, and was also chosen Coroner of Wyoming County at the first election held for that office, being later elected Associate Judge in the same county. This is the more remarkable from the fact of his educational advantages having been confined to about two years' attendance at a log schoolhouse, where he acquired but the rudiments of learning. His natural intelligence and continued mental activity, however, supplied the lack of early opportunity, and obtained for him a high position among his fellow-citizens, which he occupied to the close of his life. For forty-eight years he was a devout member of the Methodist Episcopal church, being a class leader all that time, and serving as Trustee and Steward. He was a good husband and father, giving his children the best schooling obtainable at that time. He died in January 17, 1891, leaving a large estate. His widow died March 20, 1892.
Truxton S. Stansbury married Armina Vosburg, of Russell Hill, Pa., daughter of Romanzo Vosburg. They resided at Tunkhannock. He was Deputy Sheriff of his county when in the spring of 1862, on March 21, he enlisted as private in Company B, Twelfth Regiment, New York State Volunteers. He was in the service but a few months, when he was taken prisoner at the Weldon Railroad battle, and died three days after from the hardships of prison life, when but thirty-eight years of age, leaving his widow and two sons, namely: T. Albert, the subject of this sketch, and Truxton F. Stansbury, now a farmer in Oklahoma Territory, residing near Reno City. The widow of Truxton Stansbury married George Shupp, who has since died, leaving her with three children. She is now the matron of the Baptist Academy at Factoryville, Pa.
T. Albert Stansbury was well educated in the public schools, and, when seventeen years of age, began to learn the baker's trade at Tunkhannock, serving three years as an apprentice, at the end of which period he started in business for himself at Bloomsburg, Pa. In 1888 he removed to Canastota, as manager for Mrs. Joslyn, three months later purchased the business at No. 2 Centre Street, and in the spring of 1890 bought out the establishment of W. J. Jones. Here he is doing a large and increasing business, having won the confidence of the people by to strictly legitimate methods and by close attention to the wants of his patrons. He at first did all his own work, but now employs three men in the bakery and two men on the road, his wife and another woman being fully occupied as assistants. He has an extensive trade in ice-cream, the excellent quality of this article manufactured by him having attracted the attention and won the encomiums of his patrons. He bakes about two hundred loaves of bread per day, and a large quantity of cakes and pies. August 1, 1893, lie purchased the fruit, confectionery, and tobacco business of C. Garlock at 211 Peterboro Street, which he uses as a branch bakery. Here he manufactures nearly all his own candies.
Mr. Stansbury was married July 11, 1892, to Miss Bertha Nash, of Clockville, a daughter of F. R. Nash and his wife, whose maiden name was Sarah Bosworth. Mr. Nash is now deceased. Mr. and Mrs. Stansbury have a charming infant daughter, Ruth B., born March 26, 1893. Mrs. Stansbury has one brother, Burt Nash, of Norwich, N.Y., and a half-sister, Mary, wife of Thomas Lunn. The mother of Mrs. Stansbury came from England, when she was eleven months old, in 1838, with her parents, Obediah and Hannah (Vials) Bosworth, who settled in Chenango County, where they followed farming for a livelihood. Our subject belongs to the Sons of Veterans, and in his political views is a Republican, though he comes of Democratic ancestry. He and his wife are members of the Baptist church, in which they are active workers; and both have made for themselves many warm friends in the community in which they live, and are numbered among the useful, enterprising, and worthy citizens of their county.
MadisonCountyNewYork.com All rights