EDGAR L. BEEBE, a progressive farmer and extensive cheese manufacturer, residing at Nelson Flats, was born April 26, 1848, in the town of Eaton, son of Wicome and Julia (Stewart) Beebe. His grandfather Beebe was at one time a resident of the town of Fenner. His maternal grandfather, Charles Stewart, a native of Connecticut, came from that State to Madison County, settling first in the town of Fenner, and from there removing to the village of Eaton, being among the early settlers of the town. He was a carpenter, and worked at his trade, and also owned and cultivated a large farm. He died at the age of seventy-two. His wife, Betsey Rockwell, lived to the age of seventy-five years. They were members of the Methodist church. Mrs. Beebe was their only child.
Wicome Beebe grew to manhood in the town of Fenner, where he learned and followed the trade of carpenter, but, like his father, also carried on farming, as was the rule with all the settlers. For a few years after his marriage he occupied his farm in the town of Fenner, but later bought one about a mile north of West Eaton, where he lived for twenty years, then moved to the town of Nelson, and bought the Reuben Cook farm. After remaining here for fifteen years, he went to Erieville and spent his last days, dying in 1887, at the age of seventy-two years. His wife is still living in Erieville, about seventy-three years old. Of their family of six children, four are now living: Charles, a farmer, residing in Nelson; Cornelia, Mrs. James Mantel, and Herbert, living in Erieville; and Edgar L. Mr. and Mrs. Wicome Beebe were members of the Methodist church, and the father was a strong supporter of the Democratic party.
Edgar L., the third child and second son, was brought up in the town of Eaton, attended the district schools of the place, and remained on the home farm until twenty-one years of age. He learned the trade of butter and cheese making, and has owned factories in Madison and Chenango Counties. In 1879 he disposed of half his interest in the factory,
and bought the old Reuben Cook farm, which his father had owned in the town of Nelson, and which consisted of two hundred and twenty-four acres. Here he carried on farming on a large scale. He also bought and sold stock to quite an extent, and carried on a dairy of twenty-five cows, principally Holstein cattle. After living five nears on the Cook farm, in 1884 he purchased the Whitney estate, and now gives his attention to his three cheese factories--two in the town of Nelson and one in the town of Fenner. Mr. Beebe's farm consists of ninety-four acres of productive land, on which are good buildings, with all necessary adjuncts and appliances. It may be mentioned as an evidence of his willingness to give new things a trial that Beebe built the first silo in the town of Nelson. Under the firm name of English & Beebe for a few years he did quite a business in eggs, pickling from ten to fifteen thousand dozen.
He married November 22, 1871, Miss Ella Williams, who was born in Williams Corners in the town of Eaton, April 6, 1851, daughter of Sumner and Sophina (Bailey) Williams. Mr. Williams was a prominent business man of his day. He carried on an extensive tannery, and a shoe-store, at Williams Corners, which was named in honor of the family. Mr. Williams was but thirty-five years old when he died. His widow still resides at Nelson Flats, aged seventy-five years.
They had three children, all of whom are living. Mrs. Beebe, wife of our subject: Mary, Mrs. Albert Martin, residing in
Elijah, living in the town of Nelson. Mr. Williams was in politics a Republican, and he and his wife were Methodists in their religious belief and connections.
Mr. and Mrs. Edgar L. Beebe have no children. They reside in their beautiful home at Nelson Flats, surrounded by a host of friends, and are deservedly esteemed.
They are active and influential members of the Methodist church, interested in all its good work. Mr. Beebe is a follower of Thomas Jefferson--a sound and thorough Democrat. He is among the foremost in his ideas and methods of farm work, devoting much thought to the science of agriculture. He is master of the Farmers' Grange, No. 615, at Nelson.
MadisonCountyNewYork.com All rights