ALBERT L. CAMERON, an enterprising agriculturist, is a gentleman in the prime of life, active, energetic, possessing excellent judgment, and has for many years been closely identified with the industrial interests of this section of Madison County. He was born in Smithfield, on the farm which he now owns and occupies, September 2, 1847, being a son of Daniel and Lucina (Rich) Cameron. His grandfather, James Cameron, was a native of Scotland, where he grew to manhood and married. About the year 1800, accompanied by his family, he crossed the Atlantic, and, landing in New York, made his way to this county, and settled in the town of Cazenovia, now Fenner, being among the original settlers of that place. He bought a tract of land, and began the improvement of a farm. The region was little more than a pathless wilderness, lighted only by the camp-fires of the native Indians, and through which wolves, bears, and deer roamed. The nearest markets were many miles away; and Mr. Cameron had to carry his grain to mill on horseback, following a path marked by blazed trees. He spent the remainder of his life on this homestead, where he died in middle age. His widow, surviving him, died in Onondaga County, at the venerable age of eighty years. Both she and her husband were devout members of the Presbyterian church. They reared a family of nine children, only one of whom is now living, Margret, widow of Calhoun Grant, and a resident of the State of Michigan.
Daniel Cameron, son of James, was born on the old homestead in Fenner, and grew to manhood in his native town. By the early death of his father being thrown mostly on his own resources, he began life by working by the month. Active, industrious, and economical, he accumulated enough in a few years to buy a small tract of land and establish himself in life by marrying. He labored perseveringly, and, as time went on, added to his first purchase of fifty-four acres, until he had two hundred acres of rich and arable land, well improved, on which he did good business in general farming. In politics he was a firm supporter of the principles of the Republican party. His wife was a worthy member of the Presbyterian church. Both spent their last years on the old homestead, where she died when seventy years old, while he rounded out a period of fourscore and three years. They reared four sons and one daughter: Delos W., residing in Cazenovia; Ann M., residing in the village of Peterboro; Charles E., proprietor of the Cameron Hotel at Peterboro; John T., residing in Kansas City, Mo.; Albert L., residing on the home farm.
The subject of our sketch was educated in the public schools of his native town, and assisted his father in the labors of the farm, obtaining an excellent knowledge of agriculture in all its branches; and, as his parents approached the sunset of life, he took upon himself the burden of care, and had charge of the homestead. In 1881 he purchased the home farm, which he has since managed with unqualified success, carrying on an extensive business in general farming and stock-raising, and in addition thereto has a fine dairy, consisting of twenty head of cattle of mixed breed. He has an excellent farm, everything about the place giving indication of the owner's skill as a progressive modern farmer.
Mr. Cameron has been twice married. His first wife, to whom he was united in 1878, was Miss Ida Hadden, a native of this town. Their pleasant wedded life was of short duration, her death befalling in January, 1882. For his second wife Mr. Cameron married Miss Calpurnia Black, the wedding taking place in December, 1885. She is also a native of this town, and a daughter of Lot and Lucinda Black, residents of Stockbridge, where Mr. Black is engaged in agricultural pursuits. To our subject and his wife have been born three children--Robert, Margery, and Florence. Mr. and Mrs. Cameron are genial, hospitable people, with a large circle of friends, who are ever made welcome in their pleasant home. In politics he is a stanch Republican, and ever willing to work for the interests of his town. He served as Supervisor in 1892, and was re-elected the following spring. Mrs. Cameron is an esteemed member of the Methodist Episcopal church.
MadisonCountyNewYork.com All rights