Names Index
Portrait Index

   PROFESSOR AARON WHITE, at present occupying the chair of Mathematics at, Cazenovia Seminary, was born in the town of Paris, Oneida County, N.Y., September 18, 1824. His lineage has been traced through several generations of Americans to English ancestors. The first known member of the family in America was Elder John White. Neither the time nor the place of his birth can be named with certainty. It is supposed that he came from Chelmsford, England. The earliest knowledge of him is as a passenger in the ship "Lyon," Captain Pierce, which sailed from England about the 22d of June, 1632, and arrived at Boston on the 16th of September. He was admitted a freeman March 4, 1633. At the first election in the town of Cambridge, in 1635, he was chosen one of the seven Selectmen. In 1636 he went to Connecticut, and was one of the earliest settlers at Hartford. After the death of Rev. Mr. Hooker he, with other members of the colony, formed a settlement at what is now Hadley, Mass. Later he returned to Connecticut, and died there. His son Nathaniel, the next in line, who was born in England about 1629, was one of the original proprietors and first settlers of Middletown, Conn. His home was in the upper part of the town, now included in the town of Cromwell. He filled several offices of trust, and was eighty-five times elected to represent the town in the General Court, as the Legislature was called in Colonial days, the sessions being semi-annual. He was about eighty-two years old when he died.
   Ensign Daniel White, son of Nathaniel, was born February 23, 1661, and died in Middletown, Conn., December 18, 1739. He married Susanna Mould, daughter of Hugh and Martha (Coit) Mould. Hugh Mould and John Coit were noted shipbuilders. Deacon Isaac White was a son of Ensign Daniel. He was born in Upper Middletown, Conn., November 9, 1696, and died June 30, 1768. He was chosen Deacon of the church June 15, 1749. He married Sibbil Butler, who was born March 6, 1702, and died November 7, 1781. Their son, Moses White, was born in Upper Middletown, Conn., August 22, 1727. A hatter by trade, he spent the greater part of his life in his native State, residing a short time in Guilford and Chatham. In his old age he removed to Newport, N. H., where he died October 12, 1796. He married October 12, 1749, Huldah Knowles, of Hartford. A son, Isaac, was born in Guilford, Conn., October 14, 1752. He resided in Southington, Conn., a number of years, but about 1790 emigrated to the State of New York, and settled a few miles from Utica. About the year 1815, again starting westward, he went to Springville, Erie County, N.Y., and there spent the rest of his days, dying January 15, 1822. He married December 7, 1775, Thankful Clark, of Southington, Conn., who was born January 1, 1760, and died June 27, 1836. She was a daughter of Colonel Joel Clark, who died in New York in 1776, while a prisoner of war.
   Roderick White, son of Isaac and Thankful (Clark) White, and father of the subject of this sketch, was born in Southington, Conn., December 8, 1788, and was in his third year when his parents settled in Oneida County. His last years were spent in the town of Paris, where he died January 12, 1877. His wife, Lucy Blakeslee, whom he married July 5, 1816, died March 15, 1873. She was born in Paris, Oneida County, September 1, 1798. Her father, Eli Blakeslee, a native of Litchfield, Conn., and a pioneer of Paris, Oneida County, was a farmer and blacksmith.
   Aaron White, son of Roderick and Lucy (Blakeslee) White, received his primary education in the district schools of Paris, and was fitted for college at Cazenovia Seminary. His father's means being limited, he was obliged to earn his living, and pay his own way through academy and college. Entering Wesleyan University at Middletown, Conn., he studied and taught alternately till his graduation in the class of 1852. In the year 1852-53 he taught in a young ladies' institute at Flushing, L.I. In the latter part of 1853 he came to Cazenovia as a teacher in the seminary, remaining here till 1866. The ensuing three years, spent at Sauquoit, Oneida County, as Principal of the academy in that town, were followed by one year as Professor of Mathematics in Cazenovia Seminary, then by nine years at the head of the academy and union school at Canastota. From that place he went to Oneida, where he established a classical school, which he continued one year. At the end of this time the seminary trustees, recognizing his admirable qualifications as a teacher, offered him inducements to return to Cazenovia, which he accepted. He has since continued teaching in this institution, with his usual marked ability and success.
   Professor White married April 6, 1859, Isadore Maria Haight, who was born in Cazenovia, March 13, 1835. Her grandfather, James Haight, was born December 19, 1776, probably in Dutchess County, where he married Rebecca Slater, a native of that county, whose birth was on June 4, 1774. Mr. and Mrs. James Haight came to Madison County, accompanied by two children, making the journey with an ox-team, about the year 1803, when Madison County was a part of Chenango County. Buying land three miles north of Cazenovia, they resided there a number of years, then sold out, and bought at Bingley. Mr. Haight followed the trade of blacksmith in addition to farming, and also operated a saw-mill. He spent his last years on his farm at Bingley, where he died July 7, 1839. His wife died at the home of one of her eight children, William H. Haight, the father of Mrs. White, September 8, 1859.
   William H. Haight was born in Cazenovia, August 8, 1807. His occupation was farming. The pleasant homestead on the lake shore in this town, where he lived till his death, September 22, 1885, was purchased by him shortly after his first marriage. The maiden name of his first wife, the mother of Mrs. White, was Cornelia Cushing. She was born in Fenner, Madison County, October 12, 1808. Her father, Enos Cushing, was born December 27, 1779, in Hingham, Mass.
   The father of Enos, Thomas Cushing, greatgrandfather of Mrs. White, who was born in the same town, March 21, 1747 (O.S.), emigrated from Massachusetts to Madison County in 1796, and was a pioneer in the town of Fenner. He was a farmer, and bought a tract of land, a part of which is now owned by his grandson, DeWitt C. Cushing. He died on his farm, December 15, 1823. His wife, Elizabeth Turner, was born at Scituate, Mass., April 5, 1747 (O.S.), and died October 31, 1823. Mrs. White's maternal grandfather, Enos Cushing, a man of good education, was one of the early teachers in Madison County. He had a practical knowledge of civil engineering, and did much surveying. His surveys are still referred to, and accepted as authority in cases of disputed titles. Inheriting a part of his father's farm, he later bought land in the town of Sullivan, where he resided a number of years. His death occurred in 1866. The date of his marriage with Clarissa Needham, a native of Massachusetts, was September 2, 1804. She was born October 12, 1786, and died in 1839. Mrs. White's mother, the first wife of William H. Haight, died January 9, 1848. Her father afterward married Sarah Clark, who still survives him. A sketch of her appears elsewhere in this work. Mrs. White has two brothers: William H., Jr., born December 12, 1836; and George P., December 9, 1839.
   The children of Professor and Mrs. Aaron White are Cornelia C., Henry S., and Lucy B. Henry S. is a graduate of Wesleyan University, Middletown, Conn., class of 1882. In 1887 he went to Gottingen, Germany, where he took a three years' course of study in the university, and in 189o received the degree of Ph.D. He is now Professor of Mathematics in the North-western University at Evanston, Ill. Professor and Mrs. White are members of the Methodist Episcopal church. The political principles of the family are those of the Republican party.

1999- All rights reserved.