CHARLES BROWN, distinguished in the annals of Cazenovia as the oldest native-born citizen now residing within its limits, is still an active factor of its industrial life, being engaged in the occupation of tinsmith, with a large store, well stocked with all goods in his line, which he has carried on in this village for nearly half a century. He was born April 3, 1819, being a son of Seba and Sarah (Webler) Brown, natives, respectively, of North Adams, Mass., and Hebron, Conn.
Seba Brown was reared in the old Bay State, and there among its rugged hills was trained to habits of thrift and industry. When a young man, he left home to seek his fortune in the then Far West, and located in Cazenovia. Having learned the trade of wagon-maker, he established a factory here, and engaged in the manufacture and general repair of wagons, carriages, etc., the business proving so lucrative that he remained here till his death, in 1837. His widow survived him many years, dying at the age of eighty nine years, December 22, 1881. Her parents were natives of Germany, and both spent their last years in Madison County, the mother dying at the age of one hundred and two. Seba Brown and his wife were the parents of three children--Charles, George C., and Sarah. George learned the trade of tinsmith, and was associated in business with his brother Charles until his death. He married Maria Burton, of Erie, Pa., and they had three children--Charles E., Henry B., and Seymour--all of whom are now deceased. Sarah died when a young woman.
Charles Brown was educated in his native town, and at the age of sixteen years was apprenticed to a tinsmith, with whom he worked four years. He liked this occupation, and, becoming an expert in the business, established himself in Marcellus, where he met with much success, and remained until 1848. In that year he returned to Cazenovia, and, forming a partnership with his brother George, opened a store for the sale of stoves, tinware, and hardware, keeping a fine stock constantly on hand, and has continued this occupation till the present time, extending his operations year by year, paying strict attention to the details of its management, and sending out some very superior specimens of his handiwork.
Mr. Brown was married in August, 1843, to Helen L. White. She was born in Marcellus, Onondaga County, being a daughter of Jeremiah and Lois (Richardson) White. Of their marriage two children were born, George H. and Frances E. George H., residing at Upper Montclair, N.J., married Lottie Rice, and has four children living--Helen, Agnes, Bettie, and Charles. Walter, the youngest child, is deceased. Frances married Walter Goodyear, and they have homes in both New York City and Florida.
Mr. Brown is a man of excellent judgment and good business capacity, and an influential citizen of his native town, in whose development and growth he takes great pride. In politics he is a steadfast Democrat. Mrs. Brown and her daughter are esteemed members of the Presbyterian church.
MadisonCountyNewYork.com All rights