H. HAMLIN WHITMORE, an intelligent young farmer of Georgetown, where be was born and has always resided, is a son of Russell Whitmore, who died at his home in Georgetown on the 2d of May, 1885, at the age of seventy-one. The father of Russell Whitmore was Dr. Epaphroditus Whitmore, well known throughout this section of the country as the first resident physician of Georgetown, where his son Russell was born, February 4, 1814, the family removing the following April to the farm upon which our subject now resides.
Russell Whitmore was well known in his community as a particularly industrious and successful farmer, having chosen an occupation for which he was naturally well endowed. His educational advantages were limited to one term at Smyrna, supplementary to attendance at the common schools of the period. He made the best use of his opportunities, however, and at the age of sixteen taught school in the town of Lebanon. Throughout his life he was interested in everything pertaining to educational work, and for several years was Town Superintendent of Schools. His sterling integrity and rigid adherence to principle procured for him many enemies, who, however, though they might disagree with his views, could not but respect him personally. He took active part in the anti-slavery agitation at a time when to do so was to invite a storm of personal abuse and bitter invective, and was an early worker in the almost equally despised cause of temperance. In spite of his support of these unpopular reforms, his integrity was such, and his personal honor so unquestioned, that he was at various times chosen to fill offices of trust in his town; and he invariably acquitted himself with credit in the performance of his public duties. He was frequently applied to for advice in the settlement of estates, and entrusted with numerous interests which gave evidence of the confidence reposed in him as a man of honor and discriminating judgment. He was plain of speech, and opposed to all kind of ostentation and meretricious display; and at his death Georgetown lost one of her most useful and honored citizens. An obituary which appeared in the Madison County Observer of May 5, 1885, from which we have liberally quoted, gives evidence of the esteem in which he was held by those among whom his lot was cast.
He was twice married, first February 25, 1838, to Miss Julia M. Niles. In a little more than two years after Mr. Whitmore suffered a severe bereavement in the loss of his wife, who died on the 7th of May, 1840, leaving him with an infant son less than a year old. He was married again November 10, 1840, to Jane M. Conant, of the town of Eaton, who was a faithful and loving wife to him during the rest of his life, they becoming the parents of a large family, all of whom arrived at maturity and became respected and useful citizens. Addison R. Whitmore, his son by his first marriage, married Philie Livermore, of German, Chenango County, N.Y., and resides in Willet, Cortland County, this State. They are the parents of six children. By his second marriage Russell Whitmore had the following children: Eugene, who died when a child; Cornelia, who became the wife of Edwin Smith, and died January 1, 1877; Wesley and Martha L., both of whom died in infancy; Otis H., born June 29, 1848, died March 17, 1890--he married Nellie Tillotson, December 4, 1878, and they became the parents of two children, Lida S. and Louise; Francis E., married Carrie H. Thompson, daughter of William Thompson, of Georgetown; Mary J., born December 27, 1852, died April 26, 1872,
unmarried; Martha J., born November 28, 1855, is unmarried; Lincoln L. and H. Hamlin, twins, were born March 3, 1861--the former died January 1, 1862. Otis H. Whitmore, brother of our subject, was educated at Cazenovia Seminary and Oswego Normal and Training School, and was for many years a successful teacher in the public schools. At the age of sixteen he joined the Baptist church, in which he became a recognized leader. He was greatly interested in Sunday-school work, and held at various times the offices of President, Vice-President, Secretary, and Treasurer of the County Sunday School Association. He was an ardent Prohibitionist. In 1875 he was elected justice of the Peace, which office he filled eight years. At the time of marriage he settled on a farm near the old home. His death was deeply regretted by the entire community.
H. Hamlin Whitmore was reared on the old homestead, just on the outskirts of the village of Georgetown, where he still resides. In boyhood he attended the district school, and made the most of his opportunities for securing an education, but early became initiated into farm life and work, which pursuits he has followed up to the present time, and in which he has been eminently successful. He possesses in a large degree those qualities which made his father respected and esteemed, and keeps up with the times in everything that pertains to his calling, using the latest and best farm machinery, and adopting the most improved methods in his work. In addition, he is a man of much general knowledge, keeping well informed on all the important events of the day, his opinions on which are guided by an intelligent appreciation and discriminating judgment. He is a member of the Patrons of Husbandry, belonging to Lebanon Grange, No. 753.
He was married March 26, 1890, to Luella V. Hay, daughter of Charles Hay, a well-known and respected citizen of Georgetown. Mr. and Mrs. Whitmore attend the Baptist church, and are universally recognized in their community as people of high moral excellence and useful and upright citizens.
MadisonCountyNewYork.com All rights