MRS. GENEVIEVE CULVER, widow of the late William Culver, who died at his home in Canastota, March 12, 1893, in his seventy-eighth year, was born in Fenner, Madison County, and is a daughter of James and Nancy (Cramer) Wilder, the former of whom was born in Genesee County, New York, and the latter in Schuyler, Herkimer County. He died at Perryville in 1890, at the age of seventy-seven, leaving his wife and five children, one son and four daughters. They had previously lost their eldest daughter, Mary Jane, who was the wife of D. Pickett. Their son, Alfred, enlisted in the One Hundred and Fifty-seventh New York Volunteer Infantry, and, after serving his country but a few months, died in his twenty-second year, and was buried at Fairfax, Va. Esther L. Wilder died of consumption at the age of nineteen. The mother of these children is now more than eighty-one years old, and is yet active and healthy for her great age. She is living with her daughter, Mrs. Culver.
Mrs. Culver is a woman of superior ability and education, having attended a first-class academy in her youth. She was married December 21, 1881, to William Culver, who was a noble and upright man and one of the best of husbands. He was a son of Elias Culver, of Southampton, Conn., who became a pioneer farmer of Madison County, settling here when everything was new, and literally hewing for himself a fortune out of the wilderness. He was twice married, his first wife being a Miss Sarah Lupton, of New England, who died in middle life, leaving three sons and two daughters, all of whom have now passed away, William of this sketch being the last survivor. Elias Culver died at Canastota in his eighty-eighty year, leaving a moderate fortune. William Culver was married twice, being united to his first wife, Mary Smith, at the age of forty. She died March 28, 1881, when past middle life, leaving no children. Mr. Culver was a very industrious man and a most successful farmer, beginning with but a small capital and accumulating a comfortable competence for his later years, which his widow is now enjoying. In politics be was a Republican, and, though not a member of any church, was a man of the highest integrity, a good citizen, and an excellent neighbor. The fine house in which his widow now resides he erected in 1884 on the ruins of their former dwelling, which was destroyed by fire, the loss being relieved only by the receipt of some little insurance. In connection with this residence there are one hundred and twenty-eight and one-half acres of land, the entire estate being left by will to the subject of this sketch.
Mrs. Culver is a lady possessed of all true womanly virtues, and one of those who prefer the quiet of home life and family comforts to the empty honors and exacting demands of social life. She has a wide circle of friends in her town and county, and has the good will and esteem of all.
MadisonCountyNewYork.com All rights