MRS. AMELIA L. BROWN was born in the town of Lenox, January 23, 1829, and is a daughter of Edwin and Laura (Douglass) Lewis, the former of whom was born in Whitesboro, Oneida County, N.Y., in 1799, and the latter in 1801 on the farm, in the town of Sullivan, where Mrs. Brown now resides. Colonel Zebulon Douglass, the maternal grandfather of our subject, was the original settler of this farm. He and his wife, Mary Noyes, were born in Columbia County, New York, and were married in the fall of 1796. The following spring Mr. Douglass came to Westmoreland, Oneida County, and worked land, raising crops to supply his need, when he should have taken possession of lands bought of the State in what is now known as the town of Sullivan. During the summer he made a small clearing, and built a log cabin on the new tract; and in February, 1798, he brought his wife and infant child to the new home, making the journey by ox -team. Blazed trees were their only guide from Whitesboro. There were but few white settlers at that time, but plenty of Indians, who were, as a rule, friendly to the whites. By untiring industry and hard labor Mr. Douglass made his farm of three hundred and fifty acres one of the most productive and beautiful in the county. The County Agricultural Society in 1 8 19 awarded him a silver cup for having the best cultivated farm in the county. He was also one of the pioneer tavernkeepers. During the War of 1812 his beautiful meadows, fronting his home, were the
camping-ground for a short time of a large force of troops on their way to the scene of action. Mr. Douglass was a public-spirited man, interested in all improvements, and assisted materially in having the Erie Canal pushed through to completion. He was Colonel of a regiment of State militia, and was an old-line Whig in politics, and was elected Member of Assembly in 1811. He died in the village of Canastota in 1849, at the age of eighty years; and his wife, a noble woman, died in 1835, at the age of sixty-four. They were Presbyterians in religious faith. They were the parents of eight children, seven daughters and one son, all of. whom. are now deceased.
The paternal grandfather of Mrs. Brown, Deacon Edward Lewis, was a prominent man among the early settlers of the town of Lenox. He was born in Guilford, Conn., in 1766, and came in early life to Whitesboro, where he taught school, edited a paper, etc., being a man of scholarly tastes and habits. In the early years of the present century he moved to Quality Hill in the town of Lenox, where he made farming his business. He was for a time a Justice of the Peace, and was always deeply interested in the educational, moral, and religious interests of the community in which he lived. He was an active member and Deacon of the Presbyterian church of Quality Hill, and an earnest anti-slavery and temperance man. He died at Quality Hill in 184o, aged seventy-four years. His wife, Olive Barnard, an estimable Christian woman, was a native of Connecticut. She died quite young. They were the parents of ten children, five sons and five daughters, who grew to manhood and womanhood in the town of Lenox. They were all men and women of ability, intelligence, and high Christian character, and became earnest promoters of all that was highest and best in the communities in which they made their respective homes.
Mrs. Brown's father, Edwin Lewis, came to the town of Lenox when but a boy. He gained his education in the district schools, and for some time followed the occupation of a teacher. But soon after, and in early manhood,. he gave his attention to farming, and made it his business for life. In 1843 he sold his lands in the town of Lenox, and moved to the town of Sullivan, buying a part of the land then owned by his father-in-law, Zebulon Douglass. Here Mr. Lewis ended his days, dying May 15, 185o, at the age of fifty-one years. His wife, Laura Douglass, reached the age of eighty-two, dying January 27, 1883, on the farm where she was born. They were both members of the Presbyterian church, and were earnest friends to every righteous cause. Of their four children, only Mrs. Brown, our subject, survives. The two younger daughters died in childhood; and the only son, Edwin D. Lewis, who was a useful and respected citizen, a successful business man, and a Christian, died at the old homestead in 1889, at the age of fifty-seven, leaving a wife and one daughter.
The subject of this biographical notice came to womanhood in this vicinity, and gained her education at the district schools of the town and at DeRuyter Seminary. She was married in January, 1849, to Josiah P. Brown, a native of Massachusetts. She has one son, Edwin L., who was born November 21, 1849. He came to manhood in the town of Sullivan, being educated at the Chittenango High School and Oneida Seminary. In 1878 he had the great misfortune to lose his sight, as the result of sunstroke while working in the harvest field. For long years he has walked in perfect darkness, but has bravely and cheerfully borne the affliction. He resides with his mother on the home farm, which he manages with good judgment. Mrs. Brown and her son are both members of the Methodist church, stanch Prohibitionists, and deeply interested in all that pertains to the progress of the age.
MadisonCountyNewYork.com All rights