BARNA J. STIMSON. The legal profession of Madison County is ably represented by this gentleman, who is influential in all that tends to promote its religious, educational, social, and political progress. He is a well-known figure in the public life of the village and town of Hamilton, where he has a pleasant home; and his record as a civic official is above reproach. Our subject was born in the town of Nelson, April 24, 1837, a son of James H. Stimson, who was a native of Blandford, Mass. He, in turn, was a son of Barna Stimson, who is thought to have been born in the city of Salem, in the same State. He was a resident of Blandford for many years, but the latter part of his life was passed in this county. He married Mary Nimox, who survived him many years.
James H. Stimson was reared in his native town, and, having received excellent educational advantages, began to teach school in early manhood. He subsequently abandoned that profession to give his attention to mercantile business. In
1840 be took up his residence in Canandaigua, whence five years later he removed to Michigan, going by rail and canal to Buffalo, and thence by the lakes to Detroit. He settled about ten miles south of that city, and devoted himself to the trade of a cooper, continuing to live there until death claimed him, in 1875. His wife, who was Cornelia Button before marriage, was a native of this county. They reared a family of six children.
Barna J. Stimson of this sketch laid the foundations of a liberal education in the academy at Canandaigua and in the public schools of Wayne County; and, following in the footsteps of his father, he, too, commenced his career as a school-teacher, entering upon that vocation at the age of nineteen. When he attained the age of twenty-one, he began to prepare himself for his life-work, pursuing his legal studies in Detroit. He was admitted to the bar in that city in 1865, and in Binghamton the same year. He practised in Detroit two years, and then, returning to his native county, opened an office at Brookfield, where he remained until 1873, when he came to Hamilton, in which place he has since been actively and lucratively engaged in conducting an extensive law business. Through close application to his work, and by thoroughly familiarizing himself with the laws of the country, as well as by his acumen, tact, and fine business qualifications, he has risen to an enviable position in his profession. He is a safe counsellor, ever watchful of the interests of his clients; and they, in turn, repose in him perfect confidence on account of his well-established reputation for fairness, justice, and strict integrity in all matters whatsoever.
In 1867 Mr. Stimson was united in marriage with Miss Rosalia B. Green, who was born in Sangerfield, Oneida County, but was reared in Brookfield. They have an attractive home, in which culture and true hospitality abide, and have many warm and steadfast friends. One son, William D., has blessed their union. A man of Mr. Stimson's calibre and standing, professionally and socially, is naturally regarded as eminently qualified for places of public trust; and we find him an incumbent of the office of Village and Town Clerk, and a member of the Village Board of Education; and he has also served three terms as justice of the Peace. He is very active in the social life of the county, and is identified with the following organizations: Hamilton Lodge, No. 120, A. F. & A. M.; Cyrus Chapter, No. 150, R. A. M.; Norwich Commandery, No. 46, K. T.; and Mokanna Grotto, No. 31, Veiled Prophets. Politically, he is a Republican of no uncertain tone, and in religion a communicant of the Episcopal church.
MadisonCountyNewYork.com All rights