GEORGE R. WALDRON, a patriot soldier of the late war, recently deceased, an honored. resident of Hamilton, Madison County, for more than sixty years, was born in Mechanicsville, Saratoga County, October 3, 1815, within a stone's throw of the Ellsworth monument. He was a son of Gilbert Waldron, who was born in the same county, February 11, 1778, and died at Honesdale, Pa., May 6, 1830. Reserve Waldron, the father of Gilbert, came from Holland, and was one of the three original purchasers of Manhattan Island. Some of his descendants are large land-owners on the island at the present time, and are litigants in a suit for the establishment of a claim to a valuable estate there, to which the subject of this sketch was one of the heirs.
Gilbert Waldron was one of five sons born to Reserve Waldron and his wife. He married Margaret Grawbarger, of Saratoga County, by whom he had ten children, namely: Abram, born in 1803; Maria G., born in 1804, and married Charles L. Reese; Catherine, born in 1806, and married Jabez Lovejoy; Jane Ann, born in 1808, and married P. L. Tylor; Elizabeth, born in 1810, and married J. T. Teetor; Amelia, born in 1813, and married James Morgan; George R., the subject of this sketch; Margaret, married a Mr. Atwater, of Chicago; Caroline, who married General Rogers, of Bath, N.Y.; and Elias, born in 1824, and drowned at the age of seventeen, while engaged in the whale-fishery. The mother of these ten children died in 1830, at the age of seventy. The father was a very active, enterprising, and successful business man, erecting many dwelling-houses and at least two dams across important rivers. That across the Hudson River at Fort Edward, Washington County, which he built with the aid of Melancthon Wheeler, was washed away, causing him a loss of one hundred thousand dollars. He built a dam across the Delaware River at the mouth of the Lackawaxen River, and also about fifty houses in Rondout, N.Y., and Honesdale, Pa.
George R. Waldron, when twelve years of age, was apprenticed to learn the printer's trade, for which he had a strong inclination, having already printed a small spelling-book. Becoming a skilled and rapid workman, he easily found plenty to do, and continued to work at his trade and at the publishing of newspapers until 1883, at which time his son, George G., took his work off his hands. The first paper published by George R. Waldron was the Hamilton
Courier, which was established in 1831, and which was purchased by Mr. Waldron in 1832. Mr. Waldron was one of the Union soldiers of the War of the Rebellion, enlisting in September, 1862, in Company E, One Hundred and Fifty-seventh New York Volunteer Infantry, a company which he had himself helped to raise. He was commissioned Captain by Governor Morgan; but, his company being consolidated with another, Captain Waldron afterward served in the ranks. After nearly one year's service he was discharged on account of an affection of the eyes, from which he continued to suffer ever after, being practically blind for the last twenty-five years of his life.
Mr. Waldron was married December 3, 1835, to Mary E. Crisman, who was born in Wilkesbarre, Pa., in 1815, now, at seventy-eight years of age, after nearly sixty years of wedded life, a widow. Her father, Jesse Crisman, was murdered for his money in Wheeling, W. Va., when he was fifty years old. He left eight children, of whom but three are yet living. Mr. and Mrs. Waldron buried two sons and one daughter. The children living are as follows: Margaret C., wife
of Wilson Fox, of Fultonville, N.Y.; Victoria, wife of Rev. Charles E. Simmons, of Worcester, Mass.; George G.; Harriet E., wife of A. L. Slawson, a printer, of Boston, Mass.; J. C., of Hamilton; Marcella, wife of A. M. Russell, also of Hamilton; and Ida P., wife of Henry Miller, of Suffield, Conn.
MadisonCountyNewYork.com All rights