EMMETT G. LAMPHER, a prominent business man of Hamilton, is a large and extensive dealer in coal, having offices both in Norwich and Hamilton. He is a native of New York, born in Owego, Tioga County, September 26, 1835. His father, George Lampher, was born in Catskill, Greene County. He was a man of energy and enterprise, and, when quite young, engaged in the lumber business, to which he added that of a contractor. When railways bean to be pushed through this State, he secured the contract for supplying ties, building material, and wood fuel as used in the early days, of several different ones, among which may be mentioned the Delaware & Hudson, Binghamton & Susquehanna, Binghamton & Syracuse, Delaware, Lackawanna & Western, and the Canandaigua & Niagara Falls Railways, holding a contract for the last four at the same time. After the completion of the railways, and before coal was used in generating steam, Mr. Lampher was awarded the contract for cutting and sawing the wood on the different railways. In addition to this profitable business he was actively engaged in agriculture, being the possessor of three or four farms in Tioga County. For a period of four years he resided in Chenango County, engaged extensively in the lumber business. With this exception, the larger part of his life after marriage was spent in Tioga County, where his death occurred in August, 1875, in the seventy-ninth year of his age. The maiden name of his wife was Mary Simonds. She was a daughter of John Simonds, and was born in Catskill, N.Y., in 1799. She died in Tioga County, January 16, 1874. To her and her husband were born nine children, of whom three are now living.
E. G. Lampher, of whom we write, received a substantial education in the public schools of his native town, and remained under the parental roof until attaining his majority. At that time he entered the employ of the Delaware, Lackawanna & Western Railway Company, remaining with them nearly four years. He then went to Erie County, and in partnership with his brother, J. C. Lampher, purchased a tract of land seven miles from Buffalo, and, erecting a sawmill, engaged in the manufacture of staves, barrel heads, etc., continuing in this business nine years. Disposing of this property, the following two years he was engaged in the bridge department of the Erie Railway Company. Leaving their employ, Mr. Lampher then settled on the farm which he still owns in Candor, Tioga County, and for the next eight years superintended his farm, and carried on a successful business in lumber. Removing thence to Tonawanda, in company with his brother, J. C. Lampher, he operated a planing-mill and machine-shop for two years. He then removed to Norwich, and engaged in business as a coal-dealer, and has continued thus employed until the present time. His trade increasing from year to year, he has continually extended his operations; and in the spring of 1893, in conjunction with his brother, C. W. Lampher, he purchased the warehouses of Mr. Smith in Hamilton, and removed to this place to take charge of the business here, his brother remaining in Norwich to look after the interests there.
Mr. Lampher has been twice married. The maiden name of his first wife was Mary Adelaide Thornton. She was born in the county of Tompkins, New York, and was a daughter of Peleg and Maria Thornton. Her married life was of short duration, her death occurring in 1864. To her and her husband were born two children, Ida and Edith. Mr. Lampher's second marriage was celebrated February 18, 1867, when he was wedded to Helen Dodd, a native of Ithaca, N.Y. She is a descendant of an old New England family, her great-grandfather, Captain John Dodd, who was for many years a sea-captain, having been a native of New Haven, Conn. His son John, grandfather of Mrs. Lampher, was also born in New Haven. He was a carriage-maker by trade, and some years after his marriage with Susan Potter emigrated to Tioga County, and continued his business in the town of Owego for many years, dying there at an advanced age.
John S. Dodd, father of Mrs. Lampher, was born in New Haven, Conn., and was there reared and educated. He learned the trade of carriage-builder from his father, and for many years carried on the business in Ithaca, Tompkins County, where he spent his last years, dying February 22, 1871. The maiden name of his wife was Lucy Hatch. She was a daughter of Reuben Hatch and a native of this State, born in Owego, Tioga County. She died in Ithaca, August 2o, 1875. To her and her husband were born five children, of whom four are now living.
Reuben Hatch, maternal grandfather of Mrs. Lampher, was born in Connecticut, and there reared to manhood. He married Roxanna Curtis, also a native of Connecticut; and a few years after their marriage they joined a party, consisting of several families living in their vicinity, and emigrated to this State, becoming pioneers of Tioga County. Mr. Hatch purchased a tract of wild land, and, after erecting the customary log house for his family residence, began clearing a farm. Deer, turkeys, and the smaller birds were plentiful; and the pioneers of those days usually furnished the family larder with the game supplied by the markets of the present day. There were no railways in this section of the country for many years after their settlement here, and all marketable products were conveyed down the river by means of rafts. Mr. Hatch improved a fine farm; and there he and his wife spent their last years, both dying on the old homestead.
Of the second marriage of our subject three children were born, namely: John S., who died June 6, 1893, in the twenty-fourth year of his age; May and Grace, living at home.
Mr. Lampher is a thorough business man, well and favorably known in the locality, and everywhere respected for his integrity and straightforward business principles. In local politics he is independent, voting for the best man for the position, but on the national ticket cast his vote with the Republican party.
MadisonCountyNewYork.com All rights