Home
Cemetery Index

Cemeteries of Madison County, NY

 

Canastota Pioneer Burial Ground

Town of Lenox


The cemetery was located north of Lewis Street and west of Canastota Creek between Peterboro St. and 
Main St. in the village of Canastota.  Old deeds in that area make reference to the existence of the 
burial ground. A newspaper article in the Canastota Bee Journal, written in 1890, reports that the 
cemetery was closed in 1840. All traces of the former cemetery in the back lawns of houses facing 
Lewis St. and Main St. have been completely obliterated. No records have been located that identify 
the original name of the cemetery, or names of those buried there. 

Source: Researched by David Sadler, Canastota Village Historian/
	Lenox Town Research Historian
	April 8, 2008
1999- MadisonCountyNewYork.com All rights reserved.