Madison County, NY
|East Boston Church History 1807-1817
East Boston Church Members 1807-1817
Lenox Congregational Church History
Lenox Congregational Church Account Records 1811-1822
Lenox Congregational Church Baptisms 1822-1860
Lenox Congregational Church Members 1804-1898
History of a Town of Sullivan Church (East Boston) 1807-1817
Early Congregational churches organized church societies which were by usually incorporated under the laws of NYS. Although no incorporation document has been located for this church, records of the Lenox Church indicate a society associated with this church existed and was probably known as the Sullivan Congregational Society. In 1810 the Sullivan Congregational Society and the Lenox Religious Society, associated with the Congregational Church at Quality Hill, united to form the Lenox Congregational Society which was incorporated 9 May 1810.
During the summer of 1810 the two churches agreed to share pastoral services, and the Rev. Ira M. Olds was installed as pastor of this church and the church at Quality Hill on 22 Aug 1810. In 1812 the Sullivan Church was accepted under the care of the Onondaga Presbytery in Syracuse.
Apparently controversy arose among the members of the church, perhaps related to religious philosophy. One member was excommunicated in 1816, and a number of members requested dismissal to other churches. In 1817 the Sullivan Congregational Church severed its relationship with the Rev. Olds at which time the Onondaga Presbytery determined that the church should merge with the Lenox Congregational Church at Quality Hill.
Sandra B. Wilsey - 2012
Information and membership list extracted from the Lisle Collection #R0112, Sub
Group C, Series XIX, Box 29, Item 91 at the Boston Congregational Church
Library, Boston, MA