Maps of Madison County
Madison County 1853 Map (Evans)
Madison County 1859 Map (Gillette)
Gazeteer and Business Directory of Madison County, N.Y., for 1868-9
Childs, Hamilton. Syracuse: Syracuse Journal, 1868. Foldout.
Madison County 1875 Atlas (Pomeroy, Whitman & Co.)
Sales of the Lands of
the Northwest Part of the Oneida Reservation – 8/7/1804
Historical Maps Formation of the towns
and city 1806-1896. Village and place names.
County of Madison (towns)
Reprinted from Country Roads, Madison County's
Heritage: A Resource for the Future, Madison
County Planning Board, Wampsville, New York, July 1976.
Madison County Map
- Current map of towns, villages and hamlets.
The 1802 Land
The "1802 Purchase" was made by the State from
the Oneida Indians and comprised 46 lots. This purchase
was bounded on the west by the "Two-Mile
Strip," purchased in 1798; on the north by the
"Seneca Turnpike Lots," purchased also in 1798;
on the east by the Oneida Indian reservation. A strip off
this reservation, adjoining the "Purchase of
1802" was purchased in 1817. From W. H.
Tuttle's Notes. See also
William H. Tuttle's History of the "Purchase of 1802."
Located in the Town of Lenox, Wampsville was designated
the county seat of Madison County in 1910. Wampsville
beginnings are traced to a tavern built by Myndert Wemple
along the Seneca Turnpike, a well traveled road which
brought settlers to the northern half of Madison County.
The settlement of Wemplesville later became Wampsville.
Settlements along the Hudson, Mohawk and Schoharie Rivers.
October 28, 2014.