Weeks 16-20 (below)
May 28, 1931
June 4, 1931
Lexington Argonne Lincoln Soldiers March
Charles II of England Had Price on Man's Head. King Phillip's War and Every
War of U. S. Represented by Men of “Purchase of 1802"
Many settlers of the "Purchase of 1802" were veterans of the Revolutionary
War and in every war since then to which the United States has been engaged
Men from that section have played an active part. Some of the. settlers of this
purchase were descended from men who saw service in King Phillips Indian
war in the seventeenth century. Lyman Goff was a descendent of an English
colonel who participated in the execution of King Charles I and fled from
England with a price placed on his head by Charles I. The Buyea family
descended from John Buyea, who came from France to aid the Colonists in the
W. H. Tuttle, who has been preparing this historical series for the McHenry
newspapers, has carefully told the story of these men who settled in what is
now the township of Lincoln.
The following is a list of those who have lived in or on the border of the 1802
purchase who have served in the wars of the United States:
Among the veterans of the Revolutions who settled here were Joseph Palmer,
father of Asher H. Palmer, of lot 37. Joseph fought in the battle of Lexington
and was later a captain in the Connecticut militia. His wife, Susan May, born
1747, died December 8, 1860, aged 103 years 3 months and 8 days. She is
buried in the Cranson cemetery.
Peleg Randall, born October 19. 1716, died January 1, 1831, was a lieutenant
in the Connecticut Continentals and was in charge of his company at the battle
of Saratoga. He lived on lot No. 46, and is buried in the Chaffee cemetery.
George Ratnour, born 1760, died May 30, 1844, served in New York militia
and was a pioneer settler on north side lot 6. He was on the pension roll of
Conrad Kilts, born 1759, died January 11, 1889, private in N. Y. Continentals,
resigned as lieutenant in the State militia in 1806. On pension roll 1833.
Settled on lot 20 prior to 1800.
Jacob Lawton (Laughton), born 1764, alive in 1851, served in Clyde's N. Y.
militia. On pension roll 1810. He lived on road that is now abandoned between
Cotton's and Gott's corners on lot No. 58, 2-mile strip. The house has now
disappeared. Ratnour Kilts and Lawton are buried in the Clockville cemetery.
Asa Cranson, born 1760, died January, 6, 1841, served in the Massachusetts
Continentals. He was placed on the pension rolls August 7, 1819, settled on lot
29 about 1808. He is buried to the Cranson cemetery on the Perryville road.
The burial place or date of death of the following are unknown: Michael Kern,
born 1742. Private in the Connecticut line. Placed on pension roll November
31, 1818. Settled on lot 2 at Cotton's as early as 1805. Jacob Ratnour, who
served in the First Regiment Tyron Co. militia, settled at Cotton's but did not
own any real estate. Jacob Seeber, adjutant of the First Regiment Tyron
Militia. settled with nine other Revolutionary veterans near Chittenango, later
coming to Clockville and settling on lots 7 and 8. Died some time after 1808.
John Clock, born 1784, died August 11, 1816, settled 1793 on lot 30. Buried
on the knoll west of the Clock barn and his brother Joseph, who settled on lot
18, served in the Second Regiment Tyron Co. Militia. Joseph removed to
Hastings, Oswego County, about 1830, and died there.
Jehiel Tuttle settled on lot 23 about 1795. He served in the Connecticut militia.
He died in 1823, and is buried at Quality Hill.
John Keller, born at Canajoharie, N. Y., October 8, 1768, served in the Tyron
County militia, settled on part lot 35 prior to 1810.
In the War of 1812 a company was raised in this vicinity, among whom were
Sylvester Beecher, captain of lot 1. He is buried at Canastota.
Henry Bort, sergeant, lot 5 and Reuben Parkhill, sergeant, lot 6, buried
John I. D. Nellis, corporal, lot 12, moved west 1837. Abraham Turtle,
corporal, lot 23 was claim No. 0840, buried Clockville. Andrew Cypher,
buried Buyea cemetery, died March 6, 1831. Conrad Forbes. removed Genesee
Co., Mich., claim 4948. Nicholas I. Forbes, died Warren Co., Pa., claim No.
13618. Nicholas J. Forbes, lot 17; George Harp, lot 2; Peter Klock, lot 30,
buried Clockville, claim No. 8311; John M. Kern, lot 2, Jacob Kern, lot 2,
Coonrad Kilts, lot 20, buried Clockville; Jasper Near, east of 1802 purchase,
buried Clockville, died 1864; George Pickel, lot 18, buried Clockville, died
1846; William Pease, lot 17; Henry Pickel, lot 13, died Barr, Mich.. war claim
No. 6847, John Miller, Elisha Rouse, lived on lot 13; Jeremiah Van Dusen, lot
D, buried Clockville; Simeon Bellinger died about 1817; John P. Yorton, died
Hastings, N. Y., claim No. 670; Paul N. Yorton, buried Clockville, Claim No.
13819; Phillip Moon, lot 12; Adam Boyer. lot 27; Obediah Bates, lot 13.
The following served in the War of 1812, but not in Beecher's company:
Lumen Bull, lieutenant, lived in two-mile strip; Nicholas N. Bort, died at
Hastings, N. Y., lot 5; Bartholmay Forbes, lot 6, buried Clockville; Henry
Ostrander, lot 11 buried Clockville; Martin Lamb, lot 36, buried at Perryville;
Roselle Randall, lot 38, died in Jackson Co., Mich.; Peter Walrod, lot 11,
buried Clockville; Elias Palmer, claim No. 13818; Stephen Palmer, claim No.
13820; Capt. Stephen W. Palmer, claim No. 1833, died Napoleon, Mich.;
Benjamin Palmer, claim No. 7895; Martin Snyder, claim No. 869; Adam R.
Snyder, claim No. 6596; Daniel Shippey, 1st Reg. U. S. Rifles, on pension roll
1825; Asa Cady, chaplain and chief of engineers, in two-mile strip; Asher H.
Palmer, died at Rome, N. Y., claim No. 14981; Stephen Chapman, Com.
officer, claim No. 2314; Nicholas Kilts, claim No. 3312, buried Clockville;
John Forbes (Scotch), claim No. 2316,buried Clockville; Joseph Clock, 2nd,
died Hastings, N. Y., claim No. 663; Thomas Briggs, claim No. 2313, buried
Clockville; Nathaniel Hall, jr., surgeon, buried Quality Hill; Rufus Thompson,
Sergeant in1 29th Reg. N. Y. Militia, served at Sacketts Harbor, Sept. 8, 1814,
to Nov. 13. 1814; also saw service in the Revolution with the Connecticut
Militia at Union, Conn. Thompson was born at Monson, Mass., 1765, and
died in Erie Co., Pa., January 6, 1841. Came to Alene in 1809, and worked in
the Reynolds saw mill, died about 1814.
John Pickens enlisted from here for service in the Mexican War and never
Co. G, 157 Reg. N. Y. V., was raised from Canastota and vicinity in 1862 and
the members of that regiment will be given first in a list of Civil War Veterans:
Abraham Tuttle, Capt. aged 42; Jerome Forbes, Lieutenant, 30; Jeremiah
Murphy, Corporal; John H. Fancher, Corporal, 26; Christopher Van Slyke,
32; Abraham Snyder, 20; Harvey Lindsley; Nicholas Snyder, 22; Henry
Tenecke, 30; William W. Baldwin, 23; Russell Strop, 45; William Pease;
Sylvanus Ostrander, Irving Tuttle; James B. Douglass. Co. B, 157 Reg. N. Y.
V.; Pratt Randall, Co. B, 157 Reg. N. Y. V; Elit. Parkill, . Co. F. 157 Reg. N.
Y. V.; Robert Roantree, Co. B, 157 Reg. N. Y. V.; Charles H. Miller, Co. F,
157 Reg. N. Y. V., wounded at Gettysburg; Alfred Adams, Co. I, 157 Reg. N.
In the 15th N. Y. Engineers were the following: Stephen Ten Ecks, aged 23;
John McCarty, 29; George C.. Way. 21; James R. Heslin; Joseph Ostrander,
Austin Ostrander was in the 12 N. Y. V., also Dewitt DeBois his brother in-
law. William L. Bridge, aged 20 and Louis Betsinger, aged 41, served in the 1st
Reg. N. Y. Mounted Rifles. Ralph Bridge, aged 26, and Thomas Nemiers in the
78 N. Y. V., Abraham Kilts in the 81 N. Y. V., aged 15; McKendrick Rowley
in the 110 N. Y. V., aged 22; Edward H. Moyers in the 189 N. Y. V., 17;
Frank Schripe in Co. F, 125 N. Y. V., 22; Levi J. Carver, Lieutenant. 117 N.
Y. V.; Gustavus M. Palmer, Captain, 97 N. Y, V.; S. Kneeland Pettit, Captain,
103 Regulars; Charles Near enlisted in 157 N. Y. V. promoted to Captain,
Company and Regiment not known; Orvil Palmer enlisted in 157 N. Y. V.
promoted to Captain. Company and. Regiment not known. Charles Clark, 93
N. Y V., William H. Parsons, Co. B, 3 N. Y. Battery; David Onon, 1stt N. Y.
Light Art.; John Popple, 12 N. Y. Battery; Charles Bosworth. 3d N. Y. Light
Art.; I. Newton Goff, M. D., Asst. Surg., 17 N. Y. V.; Elisha Wilcox, 27 Mich.
Vol. Inf.; Calvin Skinner, Co. H, 15 Wis. Vol. Inf.; Frank R. Norton, Jacob
Mason and Franklin N. Cooper were in the 157 Reg. N. Y. V., Walter Bell, Co.
D. 10 N. Y. Cavalry; Levi Turner, Co. F, 24 N. Y. Cavalry; William A.
Johnson, Co. A. 1st N. Y. Light Art.
It is not known in what regiments the following served: John L. Walrath,
Henry T. Hughes, Joseph Dolphy, Thomas Thornton, Capt. John H. Roe,
Dennis McCarthy, Herman Forbes and James Pierce. Rev. George W. Moxcey
was in a Cavalry Regiment and served under Gen. Custer.
The following were killed in action or died while in the army: Harrison
Whitman, killed at Gettysburg; Corp. George A. Bosworth, 76 N.Y. V. killed
at Gettysburg; Lieut. James Roantree. 43 Reg. U. S. Colored Troops, killed
before Petersburg, Va.; George W. Betsinger, 21 N. Y. Bat., died at New
Orleans; Anson B. Cranson, 169 N. Y. V. died at Hampton Roads; Ledyard
Webster, Co. I, 68 Ill. Vol., died of disease September 21, 1862; Alfred Covey,
killed in action; Asa C. Lawrence, 157 N; Y. V., killed in action; Eugene
Mason, 157 N. Y. V., killed in action; Simon Didama, 157 N. Y. V., killed in
Hannah Palmer, daughter of Joseph S. Palmer, Lot 39, was a government
nurse during the Civil War.
In 1898, during the Spanish-American War, John McCarthy and Warren King
saw service in the far East in the U. S. Regular Army. Willis Johnson was with
a Michigan Regiment in the South.
In the World War Kenneth Beall died while serving in the 57 Reg. Coast Art.
Corps and Elmer Roberts was killed in the Argonne Forest. He was a member
of the 7th Int. U.S. Regulars Co. B, Both are buried at Clockville. Others who
saw service were Charles W. Skeels. Joseph Mason, Herbert Morford, Allen
Horn, Harry Mason, Charles Mason, Arthur Wheeler and Sheddard Webster.
Chauncey Webster who died on lot 20 June 24, 1831 was a great-great
grandson of Governor John Webster of Connecticut. His great grandfather,
Robert,. son of the Governor, was a Lieutenant in King Phillips War. He was
born 1627 and died May 31, 1676. His service account never having been
adjusted, his family were paid 2 lbs., 13 shillings and 6 pence in 1712. Ledyard
Palmer Webster, who died from disease in 1862 was a son of Chauncey. He
was confined in confederate prison for a time and the privations suffered there
brought on his death.
Another family from this purchase is also connected with King Phillips War.
Lyman Goff was a descendant of that Col. Goff who warned the settlers at
Hadley, Mass., of the approach of Phillip and his band, rallied the Colonists
who were in church and they drove off the Indians under his leadership. He
was hiding from Charles II of England, who had put a price upon his head for
the part he had played in the execution of his father, Charles I.
Conrad Buyea, who settled on 20 was a son of John Buyea, whose father,
John Sr., came from France at the beginning to the Revolution to help the
Colonists. He brought son John, Jr., with him and he followed his father to the
army where elder John was an officer. At the battle of Saratoga the son was
captured by the Mohawk Indians and held by them for some time. Finally a
family by the name of. Rickart induced the Indians to release him and he lived
with them for a while and later married Anna Rickart, one of the daughters. He
lived and died in the Mohawk Valley. The son, Conrad, is buried in the Buyea
Hop Panic in the Eighties Hurt Lincoln
Farms Lost When Hop Prices Broke. Early Tannery
Located Here—Many Held Political office.
Lot No. 19 of the Purchase of 1802, writes W. H. Tuttle, was patented by Peter
Smith. It was undoubtedly sold by Smith and reverted back to him. On April
9,. 1811, he deeded 3/4 acre in the northwest corner to John I. Clock. This is
where the tannery later was built and was sold off the Wilcox farm while
owned by Spaulding in 1846.
Smith sold Alanson Wilcox 24 1/2 acres along the west side, March 25, 1826.
Smith also sold David Fowler 50 acres oft the east side of the lot about 1816.
The remaining 87 acres in the center of the lot, extending from the north to
south lot lines, comprising the main farm and part of the Davis farm, was sold
by Smith to Sayles, October 1, 1832. Sayles sold to H. V. Prentice January 18,
1836. Prentice sold soon after to Zacharia K. Link. Link sold to Jacob P.
Huyck, May 11, 1836, for $4,400. Huyck sold to his son-in-law, Alanson C.
Wilcox, jr., March 31, 1849. Wilcox to Wellington E. Barnard, March 29,
1861. Barnard deeded to Phillip Wager, January 17, 1866, for $5,280. Wager
sold to Lovina Davis, January 14, 1861 42 1/2 acres on the south end of the
lot. He also sold the house and lot now owned by Andrew Wilcox to Joseph
Parisue. The north end he deeded to Jacob P. Huyck, April 1, 1861.
Huyck deeded to Charles C. Cooper, April 2, 1866, 42 acres in lot 19, with a
5-acre wood lot in lot 34 for $6,000.
Moses and Lovina Davis deeded to Cooper, March 14, 1883, the 42 1/2 acres
purchased of Wager in 1861. Cooper also owned the Wormouth farm, lot 13,
and a farm east of the 1802 purchases, known as the Mt. Pleasant farm. This
he traded with Obediah Strough for another. part of the Davis farm.
Cooper engaged extensively in hops. When the market collapsed in the late
eighties he had on hand a large quantity of hops that he had paid a high price
for; also that he had him self raised. He sustained a very heavy loss and could
not recover financially. His property was sold. The south part was again
separated and sold to De Forest Tuttle. It was later owned by his son, Harry
Tuttle, then George Lawrence and for the past year by Ezra G. Walrath.
The farm on the Blygh road was bought in 1892 by John Main. The large
house on this farm was built in 1881 by Cooper. He moved the old house back
behind the new house, and it is now used as a store house. Main also bought
the farm in lot 13 and sold this to his son-in-law, Frank A. Miller.
Smith Sayles was born April 8, 1805, and died August 28, 1899. His wife,
Deborah, was born in 1806, and died October 26, 1865. Their children were:
Milton L., 1829; William, 1831; Sayles, who settled on lots 4 and 1819. There
children were: Milton L., 1829; William, 1831; Julia A., 1834; Charles H.,
1841; Emogene, 1844. He was a son of Silas Sayles, who settled on lots 4 and
9 in 1819.
Smith Sayles traded the farm in this lot to H. V. Prentice, January 18, 1836,
for the upper or Pankhurst store. He failed and made an assignment April 30,
1840. In 1860 he was proprietor of Kings Hotel. Later he moved to Canastota
and was a carpenter and hotel keeper there, He was a charter member of
Canastota Lodge, No. 231, F. & A. M., in 1851. Jacob P. Huyck, Sr., was born
at Kinderhook, N. Y., 1796, and died July 1, 1868. His wife, Maria Harder,
was born August 7, 1794, died August 1, 1880, at the home of her son-in-law,
Charles C. Cooper.
Their children were Phillip J., 1826; Elizabeth, 1832, Cynthia, 1835; Harriet,
1837; Calista, 1840; Ann, Catherine, Maria, Christiania.
The son, Phillip J., joined Clockville Lodge, No, 165, I. O. O. F., February 28,
1849. He moved to Perryville.
Wellington E. Barnard was the son of Friend Barnard, one of the earliest
settlers at Quality Hill. He was born at Quality Hill November 12, 1813.
Joined Clockville Lodge, I. O. O. F., January 31, 1849. Was school trustee at
Clockville, 1853-1854. Supervisor of town of Lenox in 1854. From here he
moved to Sullivan and was supervisor of Sullivan in 1863. On June 25, 1841,
he married Louisa Keene.
Phillip Wager was born in Sullivan in 1815. He came to Clockville in 1855. In
1861 he returned to Sullivan. His wife, Phebe, was born in 1820. Their
children were Charles P., born 1843, now living west of Quality Hill; Elizabeth,
1845; Ann, 1850; Ella G., 1855.
Charles C. Cooper was a son of John Cooper, who was born in Columbia
County in 1802, and settled on lot A, east of the 1802 purchase, in 1826.
Charles was born there February 6, 1828. He died September 26, 1892. His
wife, Harriet, daughter of Jacob Huyck, was born March 1, 1837, and died
September 16, 1886. They had three children, Edwin M. who lives at Lenox
Furnace, Clinton at Canastota and Marie at Syracuse.
Charles C. Cooper was a life-long Democrat. He was commissioner of
highways of the town of Lenox in 1868, and once came within one vote of
being elected supervisor. He was a very loyal Odd Fellow.
John W. Maine was the son of Avery Maine. He was born July 17, 1835, and
died January 19, 1917. His wife, Hannah Morris, born October 27, 1839, died
November 7, 1915. They had five children, Avery and Prescott, who live on
the farm, Fannie married Frank A. Miller. She died September 26, 1920. Lillie
married John Harrington and Helen married Frank Keene.
June 11, 1931
Timmerman Farm in Family Since 1855
First Settled by Conrad Kilts of Mohawk Valley—
Mohawk Dutch Pioneer Settlers on Lot 20
This week W. H. Tuttle of Clockville traces the history of the farm now owned
by Levi Timmerman. This was once part of the Oneida reservation. Mr. Tuttle
Conrad Kilts, one of the eight pioneer families who came here from the
Mohawk Valley and settled while this township was part of the Oneida
Reservation, located on lot 20. This lot was patented to him very early in the
century. Kilts sold Conrad Buyea 20 acres off the east side July 30, 1808; also
20 acres more from the same side July 13, 1818. He divided his farm about
this time and gave each of his children 10 or 20 acres each.
They sold individually between 1819 and 1826 to Sylvester Beecher till he had
148 acres. Beecher sold to Peter J. Harder May 24, 1832. Harder sold to Levi
Timmerman March 7, 1855 for $9,907. Of the 40 acres sold off the east side
by Kilts to Conrad Buyea, 29 acres were purchased of John Buyea estate by
Jeremiah Cooper. The remaining 11 acres the widow of John Buyea was to
have a life lease of, then it was to revert to Cooper. Jeremiah Cooper sold to
his brother Isaac, April 27, 1848. Isaac sold to Levi Timmerman March 20,
Elisabeth, widow of John Buyea, did not die till November 8, 1879, living to
the age of 100 years, one month and 13 days. Then the11 acres became a part
of the Timmerman farm.
On the death of Levi Timmerman the farm passed to his son Silas. It is now
owned by his son Levi.
Conrad Kilts, sr., was born 1759. He died January 11, 1839. His wife,
Elizabeth, was born 1757, and died March 11, 1833. His children were
Christopher, 1794; Conrad, Jr., Phillip Christian, 1797; Peter, 1789, and
daughters, whose names are not known.
After the Kilts family sold out to Beecher many of the family settled on lot No.
71 of the Canastota tract.
Conrad, sr., served in the Revolution in the First Regiment of the Line N. Y.
Continentals. He was drawing a pension for such service on June 30, 1833. He
was also a lieutenant in Col. Douglass' regiment of militia in 1806. His son,
Conrad, jr., served in the war of 1812 in the 74th Regiment. Another son,
Nicholas, also served in the war of 1812. He resigned as lieutenant of militia in
Conrad Buyea was born in Herkimer County. He settled here in 1799. His half-
brother, John, settled on lot 27. Mary, wife of Conrad, was born in 1774, and
died April 23, 1847. Their children were Jacob, 1810; Adam, 1812; Nancy,
1818. He owned 25 acres in lot 27 in 1818. Later settled east of the 1802
purchase. Martin Cooper, born 1770, settled on lot 8, across the road from lot
20, in 1827. His wife was Caroline, born 1773. They came from Columbia
County. Children, John, 1802; Jeremiah, 1810; Jacob, 1813; Conrad, 1814;
Isaac, 1820. Jeremiah's wife was Agnes. born 1810; children, Sarah J., 1833;
Martin S., 1835; Ann M., 1839; Herman W., 1847. He owned a half-interest in
the Express Mills in 1841.
Jacob H. Cooper's wife was Harriet, born 1813; daughters, Sarah M., 1837;
Emma H., 1840; Caroline, 1842; Helen R., 1848. Isaac Cooper's wife was
Mary. Sons, Charles, 1845; Isaac, Jr., 1846. Levi Timmerman was born in
Herkimer County in 1813. Settled here in 1854; wife, Margaret, born in
Montgomery County, 1812, died March 23, 1860; son, Silas, born October 9,
1835, died November 11, 1911; wife, Sarah J., daughter of Peter Betsinger,
born March 29, 1837, died July 14, 1888; children, Ella, 1858; Alice, 1860;
Levi, 1862: Frank, 1864.
While the farm was owned by Beecher it was operated by Chauncey Webster.
He was born November 4, 1772, died June 24, 1831. His wife was Lynda,
daughter of John Hills, born April 28, 1780, died May 13, 1853. They were
married January 1, 1799.
Mrs. Webster's parents lived at Goff's Corners. Webster was a grand juror in
1811. He affiliated with Lenox No. 281, F. & A. M., on August 21, 1817.
Their children were Philena, born February 16, 1800, died October 6, 1865.
Married Asher Palmer. Cynthia, born August 5, 1801, died February 16, 1804;
Benjamin Franklin, born January 23, 1803, died in Michigan July 23,1865;
Pratt, born April 27, 1805, died in Catteragus County, May 14, 1882;
Melinda, born April 23, 1807, died June 10, 1876. Married Harry Simons.
Chauncey, Jr., born January 17, 1809, died in Wisconsin May 30, 1849;
Palmer, born October 17, 1811, died in Illinois November 5, 1869; Caroline,
born September 14, 1813, died June 14,1826; Harris, born March 17, 1815,
died in Illinois January 15, 1887; Ledyard, born March 25, 1816. died
September 25, 1862, while in the Union Army.
Randolf Streeter, born February 29, 1820, died at Peterboro October 3, 1906;
Harmon, born November 3, 1822, died in Illinois September 5. 1861; Joseph
P., born January 10, 1824, died at Waucoma, Iowa, January 17, 1913.
Mrs. Webster wan married a second time, to William Hathaway, born 1770;
died June 12, 1847.
Chauncey Webster was a direct descendant of John Webster, Colonial
Governor of Connecticut. He had seven children, of whom Robert was the
third. He was born 1627, married Susanna Treat, born 1629. He settled at
Middletown, Conn., and died there May 31, 1676. He had five children. John,
Sarah D., Jonathan, Susannah and Samuel. Jonathan was born January 9,
1656. He was a merchant at Hartford, Conn., married Dorcas, daughter of
Stephen Hopkins, May 11, 1655. Their children were Jonathan, 1681; Samuel,
1682; Susannah, 1686; Mary, 1688; Mehitable, 1691; Stephen, 1693, and
Benjamin, born August 9, 1698. Benjamin married Elizabeth, daughter of Paul
Peck, of Litchfield, Conn. Benjamin was born in Hartford and removed to
Litchfield about 1717. He died there July 10, 1756. His wife died July 17,
1775. Benjamin was a representative in the Colonial Legislature from 1752 to
1755. His. children were Elijah, 1732-1754; James, 1734-1754; Benjamin,
1736; Stephen, 1739; Elizabeth, 1741; Charles, 1743; John, April 3,1747.
John's wife was named Anna. Their children were Simon, born at Litchfield,
Conn., died in Chicago, 1843; Chauncy, born November 4, 1772: lived on lot
20, died June 24, 1831; Thomas, lived in Oneida County early in the century;
died in Ohio; Asa, born June 11, 1775, soldier War 1812, died at Western,
Oneida County, September 27, 1857; William died in Venango County, Pa.,
March 28, 1845. John is buried in the old cemetery at Rome, N. Y. Samuel,
youngest of the family, was drowned in New York Harbor about 1810.
John, the father of Chauncey, came into Oneida County at Whitestown
between 1792 and 1795. Chauncey owned land in Oneida County which he
sold November 29, 1804, and moved to Madison County. Chauncey and his
wife are buried in the Clockville cemetery.
June 18, 1931
Land Sold at $8 An Acre in 1814
Fenner Corners Baptist Minister An Early Settler
On Lot 21
There is some interesting history connected with lot No. 21 of the "Purchase of
1802." W. H. Tuttle of Clockville has developed remarkable facts in tracing its
story, as follows:
This lot was patented by Jabez Davis. He sold Sylvester Beecher 40 acres
along the north side at $8 per acre, March 19, 1814. This lot, in the rear of the
Fred Harp farm, was attached to the William W. Harp farm for many years,
and is now owned by Harry Holdridge.
Davis sold to his son Joseph 90 acres, the balance of the lot, April 12, 1814.
Joseph and his wife Dorothy and his mother Lavina, deeded the 90 acres to
Joshua G. Palmer, January 22, 1816. This was added to parts of lots 58 and
59 and made up a farm of about 250 acres owned by Palmer. Some of lot 21
was sold off by Palmer to adjoining owners. Palmer's farm was made up of
five other purchases, deeded as follows: First, Silas and Hannah Gaylord,
February 5, 1817; second, Libius and Surel Standard, June 7, 1835; third,
Samuel and Hulda Goodwin, June 16, 1836; fourth, Benjamin and Phebe
Randall, February 2, 1848; fifth, Polly C. Maltby, Nathaniel R: Cole and Anna
B. Miner, March 20, 1850.
Palmer and wife, Freelove, sold to Edward Butlon, January 20, 1853,
for $9,107. Butlon sold off two parcels and deeded the remainder to
William Feeter; March 1, 1867, for $13,213: The farm then contained 203
acres, and is now owned by William Danehy. Samuel M. Goodwin and wife
Hulda bought land in lot 31 of Cabel Cranson on April 5, 1814; sold this to
John Whitman October 10, 1832. This was what was known as the William
He had a son, Anson G., whose wife Marcy, daughter of James and Polly
Barnard, born 1808, died August 18, 1844; a son, Willard S., born 1818, died
November 27, 1847; another son, Daniel C., born 1811, died July 26, 1830.
Benjamin Randall was a son of Amos. He was born in Stonington, Conn.,
March 4, 1781, and died in Michigan July 17, 1859. He married Phoebe,
daughter of Elijah Palmer, in Connecticut, December 24, 1801. She was born
in 1781, and died in Michigan in 1852. Their children were Huldah, 1805;
Marie, November 9, 1811 and Benjamin F., born 1817, who died in Lenox,
May 9, 1844.
Randall came here in 1813. He purchased 29 acres in lot 30 of William
Lovejoy April 8, 1815. He also owned part of lots 23 and 30, and lot 51 in the
Two-Mile Strip. With Joseph S. Palmer he bought 82 acres of lot 58 Two-Mile
Strip, of Silas Gaylord, February 5, 1817. He bought out Palmer's interest
May 29, 1822. He moved to Michigan about 1835.
Benjamin F., son of the above, remained in Lenox. He married Minerva
Whiting, born in Lenox, January 14, 1818. They had one son, Vernon T., born
1839. Marie, daughter of Benjamin, sr., born November 9, 1811, married
Milton Wood, June 27, 1830. He was born in Lenox, June 27, 1803, and died
in Michigan in 1868. His wife also died in Michigan. Their children were
Orville, 1832-1868; Abell W., 1839; Phebe, 1843; Benjamin, 1844; Elvira G.,
1849: Henry J., 1851.
Nathaniel R. Cole, who deeded to Palmer in 1850, was the son of Nathaniel
Cole, who died July 4, 1828, and is buried in a small plot surrounded by a
stone fence, north of the house on the Goff farm. There was a road from Goff's
corners to the school house at Cottons. This road passed through lot 21. It was
abandoned in 1853. There were two or three houses on this road that have
disappeared. The senior Cole was a Baptist clergyman, who was converted in
the Fenner Corners Baptist Church under the pastorate of Rev. Nathaniel
Moore. Cole served this church as pastor from 1818 till 1826, when he
resigned because of ill health.
Edward Button was born 1803 as was his wife Hopsy. They had three
children: Ransworth, 1830; Eliza, 1835: and Helen M., 1837.
July 9, 1931
Lot No. 22 Settled Early in 1817 By Pioneers
Echoes of Fenner Corners Revival of 1815 Found in
Grave on Old Batcheller Farm
W. H. Tuttle of Clockville, continuing his histories of the "Purchase of 1802,”
finds an interesting reminder of a great religious revival which swept Madison
County in 1816. One man, converted at that time, became a leader of Madison
Lot No. 22 was patented by Sybrient Fort, who also patented lot 17. He lived
at Kelsey's Corners on land he bought in lot 16 of Jacob Forbes and conducted
a tavern. He sold Conrad Moot, who lived on lot 16, 46 acres in the; northwest
corner, April 7, 1817. After the Moots bought the old Jacob Forbes farm it
was added to that farm.
On December 17, 1824, Fort sold Nehemiah Batcheller 17 acres. This was
added to 47 acres Batcheller had purchased in lot 28 on January. 17, 1816, of
Hezakiah and Sally Rhoads. This has long been known as the Baldwin farm
with the red barn at Goff Corners.
Daniel Keller bought 60 acres in the southwest corner June 8, 1825. This is
now the Owen Carey farm.
Fort died soon after this as his widow Sophia and sons, Sylvester and Richard,
deeded the remainder of the lot, 80 acres, to Sylvester Beecher, November 11,
Of the 46-acre purchase made by Moot in 1817, 11 acres were sold off by
Daniel B. Moot, December, 28, 1863, to Henry Cox. This was near Goff's
Corners. The balance is part of the farm now owned by Thomas Hoyt, as are
also the 80 acres purchased by Beecher; and known for years as the Dan Moot
Keller purchased his 60 acres for $600. He sold to Daniel Tuttle. a son of
Jehiel Tuttle, March 11, 1828, for $700. Tuttle sold to, Nicholas N. Bort,
January 6, 1880. Bort sold to Henry Watson about 1835. Watson lived there
till his death in 1882. Then his son Samuel occupied the farm until he moved
into the village of Clockville in 1892.
On the death of Samuel, and his wife Gertrude, the farm was purchased by
Henry Watson added td his original purchase as he bought 8 acres of Isaac J.
Forbes in the same lot, April 6, 1837.
Nehemiah Batchelder sold to Lorenzo D. Munger, September 2, 1836, for
$1,700. Munger sold to Moses Baldwin in 1842 for $3,000. Batcheller sold 1
acre to Alfred Sears on January 5, 1825, on the road to Goff's Corners. Sears
built a house on this acre and sold the same to J. Leonard Palmer. Palmer sold
to Moses Baldwin, June 7, 1841. This house, as well as the farm house built by
Batcheller, has disappeared.
Just north of Goff’s Corners on this farm is the grave of Rev. Nathaniel Cole,
who died July 4, 1828. He was converted in a revival at the Fenner Corners
Baptist Church conducted about 1816 by Rev. Nehemiah Moore. Cole was
pastor of the church from April 8, 1818, until he resigned because of ill health
in 1825. This grave is on the road from Cottons to Goff’s Corners that was
abandoned about 1850. The grave is on the east side of the road in the old
Batchelder farm while he lived on the west side of the road on what is now
part of the William Danehy farm.
Daniel Keller, born 1781, was the son of John Keller, born at, Canajoharie,
October 3, 1758, and Elizabeth, his wife, born September 14, 1758. They were
married December 10, 1776. They had two daughters, Katherine, born
November 15, 1778, married Nicholas N. Bort, died at Hastings, Oswego
County, August 6, 1843; Elizabeth, born September 31 (sic), 1790, married
first to Simon Bellinger in 1813, and after his death to Abraham Tuttle in
1819. Daniel’s wife was named Hannah. They had a son, Andrew S. Keller.
When John Keller first came here he owned land in lot 35 in the Two-Mile
Strip. This he sold to Jacob Bouck (Buck), February 4, 1812.
Henry Watson was a son of Reuben, who settled on lot 24 in 1816. Henry was
born May 11, 1806, and died October 7, 1882. He married Elvira Cranson,
born in Massachusetts August 9, 1804, died November 16, 1882, Their
children were Reuben P., born 1835; Samuel, 1836; Debora (Bell), 1839; Mary,
Samuel, born April 18, 1836, died March 23, 1915, married his cousin,
Gertrude, daughter of Artemus Watson. She was born 1844, died November
10, 1917. Moses Baldwin was born March 31, 1798. He died March 22, 1869.
His wife, Ruth Miles, born March 29, 1802, died February 26, 1885. They
were married November 20, 1823. Their children were Mary J., born May 28,
1830; died November 11, 1872; Charles C., born October 15, 1883, died
November 2, 1906; Sally, born June 12, 1836, died November 10, 1878;
William W., born September 23, 1838. William was a veteran of the Civil War.
After the close of the war he went west.
Charles C. married Sarah M. Hatch. She was born April 25, 1841, and died
March 18, 1926. They were married April 12, 1871. They had one daughter,
Myra, born 1874, who married H. L. Pickard. Charles C. Baldwin was noted
as an early breeder of registered Holstein-Friesian cattle.
Nehemiah Batchelle was elected a trustee at the organization of the Methodist
Episcopal Society at the home of Jacob Forbes in 1813. He was a grand juror
in 1827 and member of Assembly in 1882. A son, John, born 1801, died May
Weeks 1-4 provided from copies at the Madison County Historical Society by Douglas J. Ingalls; and
transcribed by Jo Dee Frasco. Appeared previously on "A Bit of the Past," Mike Hollingsworth's site.
Weeks 5-26 provided by Donna Dorrance Burdick, Town of Smithfield Historian, from copies of the Oneida
Democratic Union at the Madison County Historical Society.