Weeks 21-26 (below)
July 16, 1931
Englishmen Settled on Lot 23 Very Early
Tuttle Families All Descended From Abraham Tuttle,
Only One of 12 Children to Stay in Lenox
Families were large in the early days of the "Purchase of 1802." Abraham
Tuttle was the only one of 12 children to stay in Lenox and establish a family
In lot No. 23 about 100 acres on the west side of the lot was first settled by
Kendal Farley. This farm was somewhat wider on the south end. Farley died in
1813 and his heirs sold to Silas Sayles 66 acres on the south end October 7,
1830. They sold 35 acres on the north to Isaac J. Forbes. This, with the
exception of about nine acres sold by Forbes and known as the Walter Bell
place, became a part of the Daniel Moot farm.
The 66 acres passed from Sayles to Jabiah Gallup, who sold to William
Lovejoy on October 23, 1832, for $1,660. Lovejoy willed the property to his
sons, William, Jr., and Philander. Philander deeded his interest to William. jr.,
on December 26, 1847. William sold to Henry Watson December 1, 1851. He
sold to his son, Reuben P. Watson, April 1, 1862. The farm was purchased by
D. Wallace Van Dusen, January 28, 1871. Lucy Van Dusen sold to Abraham
Tuttle, May 19, 1873, and he to Asa W. Cranson, April 1, 1874, for $5,000.
Cranson sold to John D. Buck, April 1, 1879, Buck gave a mortgage to
Cranson, which was assigned to Olive B. Cranson. On her death Buck deeded
his interest to her executor, Edwin J. Chapman, December 13, 1894, for
$2,000. Chapman deeded to James R. Heslin, April 13, 1902. This lot is now
part of farm owned by Clark W. Stanton.
Jehiel Tuttle settled on 24 acres in the northeast corner of this lot prior to
1798, when one of his sons was born there. There being no record he
presumably purchased of the state. He purchased 9 acres of Jabiah Gallup,
July 24, 1819, for $120. Tuttle died in 1823, and his heirs deeded 33 acres to
Isaac Forbes. December 2, 1824. Isaac sold to his brother, Jacob, jr., December
4, 1826, for $500. Jacob, jr., deeded to Artemus Watson, April 21, 1827.
Jabiah Gallup owned 28 acres in the southeast corner of this lot, not including
the 9 acres sold Tuttle in 1819. He sold this to Moses Baldwin, April 16, 1837,
for $750. Baldwin sold to ArtemusWatson, March 4, 1840, for $1,400.
Artemus Watson had a farm of about 120 acres in lots 17, 23 and 24. His first
purchase was the 33 acres formerly owned by Jehiel Tuttle, April 21, 1827,
then 28 acres in lot 24 purchased of his brother, Daniel Watson, November 25,
1834; then 28 acres of Baldwin, March 4, 1840, next 30 acres of his brother
Daniel, in lot 24, on October 21, 1844, and last, 7 acres of lot 17, bought of
George Lawrence. Thirty acres out of the southeast corner was sold by Watson
to N. D. Kyser, February 4, 1865. There was a spring in this plot and the land
was bought to furnish water for a cheese factory, but was never used, as the
factory was built elsewhere. The 3 acres were owned by the proprietors of the
cheese factory that was built over the creek at C. E. Miller's, until April 28,
1868, when they were sold to Abram Forbes, who owned the farm on the east
side lot 24.
On the death of Artemus Watson the farm was owned by the heirs for a time,
It was purchased by Albert Watson, November 1, 1899. 1Ie died in 1912 and
his son, Leon F. Watson, sold soon after to James Preoce, who sold to the
present occupant, John Lopitz.
Kindol Farley was born 1771. He died April 8, 1813. He was married on
December 26, 1805, to Hannah, daughter, of Rufus Thompson. She was born
in Tollard County, Conn., February 26, 1789, and died at Keepsville, Erie
County, Pa., September 5, 1867. Their children were Samuel Chandler, born
June 8, 1806: Hannah, August 14, 1808, married Daniel Taylor; Joel born
September 23, 1810. Farley settled on lot No, 23 after his marriage and his
children were born there. He was appointed an ensign in the militia January
After Farley’s death his widow married Bartholmay J. Forbes, son of Jacob,
on February 8, 1816. He was born May 26, 1792, and died at Keepsville, Pa.,
September 27, 1879. Their children were Farley Forbes, born August 29, 1817,
married Betsey Church; Merit Carpenter Forbes, March 8, 1819, married Mary
Jane Cornell; Albert, born November 22, 1825, married Olive Cornell; Varners
Newton, born October 8, 1829, married Elmira Cornell; Mirniva Ann, born
June 3, 1832, married Isaac Ball. The three Cornell girls were sisters.
Walter Bell was the son of Samuel Bell. He was born in England in 1835, and
died November 16, 1909. His wife, Debora, was a daughter of Henry Watson.
She was born in 1838 and died January 6, 1906.
Their children were Ja. E., 1875, and Elizabeth, 1879. Bell was a veteran of
Co. D. 10th N. Y. Cavalry.
Artemus Watson was a son of Reuben Watson, who settled on lot 24 in 1815.
Artemus was born in Schoharie County in 1804. He died in 1883. His wife,
Clarissa Rowley, was born in New Berlin in 1805, and died September 25,
1889. Their children were Austin A., 1835; Newell, 1836; Albert , 1839;
Harriet, 1833; Laura, 1842, died November 20, 1915; Gertrude, 1844;
Albert, born 1839, died January 28, 1812. He married Helen Fowler, born
1843, died 1925. They had one son, Leon F., born 1876.
Austin A., born 1835, died July 3, 1898; first wife, Agnes, daughter of William
Wilcox, born 1839: died July 3, 1898; second wife, Aurila Steadman.
Austin had a son, Fay, who died November 18, 1862, aged one year. Newell
never married. He died April 10, 1897.
Jehiel Tuttle was born in Connecticut in 1755. His father and mother came to
Connecticut from England and returned there in their later days. Jehiel married
in Connecticut and had five children. His wife died and he and his children
came into the Mohawk Valley and he was married again to Abigail Woodruth
of Johnstown. They had nine children. He came into Lenox about 1796 and
settled on lot 23, where he had 33 acres. He died in 1823 and is buried at
Quality Hill. His widow was alive in 1832, as she was a witness to the deed
Christian Kilts gave to the Methodist Protestant Society that year.
Jehiel's children cannot be given in order of birth. They were: first, Stephen,
who married Isabel Averill and lived in Hamilton, Canada; second, Sena
(Kern), 1783; third, Abraham, 1785-1832; fourth, Solomon; fifth, Mary; sixth,
Sally; seventh, Daniel; eighth, Jehiel; ninth, Harriet; tenth, Nancy; eleventh,
Isaac; twelfth, Rachel; thirteenth, John, 1794; fourteenth, Jacob, March 18,
Jacob left home when 19. He worked on the canal at Lockport for two years
when it was being constructed. Moved to Hamilton, Canada, and worked five
years on a farm. There he married a sister of Stephen's wife and moved to
Michigan. He died in Stanton, Wis., December 16, 1880. His wife was Lois
Averill. They had 12 children: First, Abraham, married Mary Conwell; second,
Mary, married David Stockton; third, Sarah, married Thomas Faulds; fourth,
Isaac H.; fifth, Jacob; sixth, Margaret; seventh, Eliza Jane; eighth, Mercy
Maria; ninth, Martha Ann; tenth, John, born April 11, 1843, served in Co. F,
97th N. Y. V., removed to San Francisco; eleventh, Albert Jehiel, born April
10, 1848, married Nellie Davery, December 4, 1881; twelfth, George Wesley.
Of Jehiel's other children, John and Mary, had a store in Canastota on the
bank of the canal in 1829; John died August 19, 1830, and is buried at Quality
Isaac lived on lot 23 as late as 1827. He was in the East school district, from
1834 to 1838, when he moved to the town of Eaton.
Abraham was the only son to re main in Lenox, and all the Tuttle families are
descended from him. He died in 1832 on lot C, which he purchased in 1824.
His wife, Elizabeth, daughter of John Keller, was born at Canajoharie,
September 31 (sic), 1790, Both had been previously married and had one
child. He had a son, Cornelius, born November 20, 1814, She was the widow
of Simon Bellinger and had a son, John, born January 27, 1815. Tuttle and
Bellinger were in the same company in the War of 1812.
Abraham and Elizabeth had five children: Abraham, jr., 1820-1908; William,
1823-1895; Daniel, 1825-1856; Elizabeth, 1828-1887, married William
Parkhurst, lot 13, and Julianna, 1830-1903, married William Wilcox of lot 31.
August 6, 1931
Early Distillery on Church Shed Site
David Fowler Built Distillery in 1813--Was Also Leader in Church and School
W. H. Tuttle finds that Lot No. 26 was the location of the Bellinger and Davis
farms. This lot has as interesting history.
Lot No. 26, comprising 156 acres, was patented from the State by Walter
Stewart of Albany. April 5, 1813.
Stewart deeded to David Fowler, January 24, 1814. Fowler had previously
bought the east side of lot 19 of Peter Smith. In all he owned 103 acres in both
On February 23, 1838 he agreed to build a small house on the east side of the
road near the barn for the exclusive use of his son. David. jr., as long as he
should occupy the same. Ledyard P. Webster was a witness to this agreement.
Fowler deeded his son, David, Jr. 116 acres, lot 26, on September 24, 1847.
On the same day he deeded 87 acres in lots 19 and 26 to another son, I.
David, jr., sold to John Bellinger, November 8, 1848, for $4643. Bellinger died
in 1901. J. Clarence Rashbach, who administered his estate, sold to Frank J.
Seeber and Andrew Thornton April 30, 1904. They sold to William H. Tuttle
I. Newton sold his part of the homestead to Andrew Keller, October 8, 1849.
Keller sold to John L. Walrath October 11, 1854. Walrath deeded to Abraham
Tuttle December 6, 1856. Tuttle deeded to Moses Davis March 9, 1858. Davis
bought 42 acres of Phillip Wacor January 14, 1861. This he sold to Charles C.
Cooper March 14, 1833. He also sold Abraham Tuttle 34 acres in the
southwest corner lot 26 April 1, 1863. This lot Tuttle sold to Joseph L.
Mansfield and it has since been known as the Mansfield lot. The lot was
repurchased by Tuttle March 31, 1876.
Davis sold the remainder of his farm to Obediah Strough, being about 63
Strough traded this to Charles C. Cooper for the farm known as the Mount
When the Cooper farms were sold, that part in lots 19 and 26, formerly owned
by Fowler, was sold as a separate farm. Late owners have been DeForest
Tuttle and his son, Harry M. It was purchased of George Lawrence in 1930 by
Ezra G. Walrath. The house and lot owned by Andrew Wilcox was deeded to
Joseph Parisue by Phillip Wager, July 1, 1859, being one acre out of the west
side of land sold Davis in 1861 by Wager. Paisue sold Johannah Woodcock,
March 11, 1862. Andrew Hawley owned the house and lot many years and
died there. Later owners have been Frank F. Hayes and Sylvenus Ostrander
and Hascall Perkins.
David Fowler was born in Massachusetts in 1780 and came to Lenox in 1811.
He died at Quality Hill March 7, 1857, First wife Polly, born 1784, died
southeast of Clockville August 9, 1836; second wife, Phillisia, was born 1799;
children, Polly Janet, born 1807, died January 12, 1830; David, jr., 1813; I.
Newton and Electa Amglia, born December 3, 1832, died November 6, 1846,
and several others.
Fowler was prominent in the early affairs of the village. As early as 1813 he
and Stephen Chapman built a distillery. The Charles Kilts house is built on
the. basement walls of the old distillery. He later owned the lot where the
Methodist Church stands and had a distillery near the present church sheds.
He was clerk of the first school meeting held in this district, January 14, 1813.
He was also elected one of three trustees to serve for one year. He was trustee
again in 1817, 1818, 1823, 1829 and 1833. In 1837 he is listed as sending four
scholars to the village school. After he sold his farm to his sons he moved to
David Fowler, Jr., was born in Lenox in 1813. His wife Susan in 1814. Their
children were Milton, 1836; Lewis, 1838, died at Clockville, February 24,
1844; Herman, 1839, who was killed at Canastota by an express train, April
10, 1853; Austin, 1841; Franklin, 1847; Cleon, 1849. I. Newton Fowler's wife
was named Angelina.
John Bellinger was the son of Simon Bellinger, a veteran of Captain Beecher's
company in the war of 1812. He died soon after the company came home and
his widow, Elizabeth (Keller) married Abraham Tuttle. Bellinger was married
in 1813. John Bellinger was born January 27, 1815, and died November 14,
1901. His wife, Sarah Van Dusen. was born in Lenox August 20, 1818, and
died September 8, 1887. Their children were Jacob, 1840-December 23, 1907;
Jeremiah, 1846-October 8, 1849; Charles, 1850-October 11, 1869; Elizabeth,
born March 29, 1839, died July 2, 1891 married W. C. Tillotson.
Andrew S. Keller was the son of Daniel Keller, who owned 50 acres in lot 22
from 1815 to 1828, and Hannah Keller Andrews was born in 1822 and his
wife Celina in 1825.
Daniel Keller was the son of John Keller, born October 3, 1758, and Elizabeth,
born September 14, 1758. Both born in the town of Canajoharie, N. Y., and
married there December 10, 1776.
Their known children were: First, Katherine, born November 15, 1778, died at
Hastings, N. Y., August 6, 1843. She married Rev. Nicholas N. Bort; second,
Elizabeth, born September 31 (sic), 1790, died March 25, 1871, married, first,
Simon Bellinger, in 1812; second, Abraham Tuttle, in 1819, both of whom
served in Captain Beecher's company in 1814; third, Daniel; wife, Hannah;
John Keller deeded Jacob Buck 50 acres on the east side lot 35 in the Two-Mile
Strip February 4, 1812. John Keller served in one of the Tyron County
regiments of militia during the Revolution.
Moses Davis was born at Fairfield, N. Y., in 1811, the son of Christopher
Davis, born 1783. Moses died at Canastota, January 26, 1900. His wife,
Lovina, was born in 1825.
Joseph Parisuo, also spelled Pareco, was a Frenchman. He was born in 1820,
and his wife. Harriet, in 1826. They had two children, Josephine, born 1849,
and Joseph, jr., 1851. The family moved to Chittenango Falls.
August 13, 1931
Native of Scotland Settled No. 24
David Gordon, Highlander, Married Daughter of
Reuben Watson--Two Early Forbes Were Blacksmiths
W. H. Tuttle finds that Lot No. 24 of the "Purchase of 1802" was settled
on early as 1815. Eighty-five acres on the West side of this lot was settled
by Reuben Watson, His son, Daniel Watson received a patent to 66 acres
on the West side January 28, 1834. They settled here as early as 1815.
Reuben Watson sold off two parcels and later bought them back again.
Prior, to 1820, he sold Jacob Forbes 15 acres. Forbes on November 7,
1820, sold this to Henry Adle who had owned land in lot 13 in 1812.
Adle died in 1822 and his heirs deeded to a son, John Adle, October 28,
1822; This deed must have been set aside as Calvin Harrington Adm. of
Henry Adle's estate deeded the same property to Stephen Chapman on
January 26, 1825. Chapman sold the same back to Watson September 27,
1828 for $250.
Watson deeded Jacob Forbes 14 acres October 9, 1824. Forbes sold to his
son, Isaac September 20, 1826, Isaac Forbes sold to Moses Lawrence and
Aaron M. Fargo January 1, 1833. Moses and Jerusha Lawrence and
Aaron and Betsy Fargo sold to Reuben Watson October 4, 1834.
Reuben Watson died March 13, 1839. On the 23rd of the same month his
heirs deed to a son, Eli Watson. He sold to John Forbes March 19, 1856
for $2,600. Forbes sold to his sons, Nicholas and Jerome August 3,
Jerome sold his interest to his brother, Abram, January 20, 1866. The
next owner was James F. Smith. He deeded to his son, Rufus C. Smith
March 1, 1885. From him it passed to Mrs. Martha Remick. She deeded
to W. V. Bosworth, Jr., November 13, 1893.
Of the 66 acres patented by Daniel Watson, he sold 28 acres to his
brother, Artemus Watson November 25, 1834 for $500 and 10 acres to
Joseph Palmer for $180 on December 24, 1835. This is now a part of the
Lelia Cox farm. Daniel sold the remainder of his patent 24 acres to his
brother, Artermus October 21, 1845. The 28 and 24 acres are the East
part of the Watson farm described in article on lot No. 23, last week.
Reuben Watson was born in Schoharie Co., New York, in 1776. He
settled on lot 24 in 1816. He died there March 13, 1839: His wife,
Debora, born 1776 died June 6, 1848. His son (1) Daniel settled on the
West side of lot 24. His wife was named Lena. Another son (2) Artemus,
born 1804, died 1883, bought out Daniel and had a farm adjoining
Reuben on the West to lots 24 and 23. Another son (3) Henry, born May
11, 1806, died October 7, 1882, had a farm in lot 22. Other children
were (4) Sylvester, born 1809, wife Almira Burton, born May 20, 1814.
(6) Eli, born 1810, wife Hulda Adaline Yorton, born in Lenox, 1807,
died July 14, 1852. Their children were Charles, 1843, Flavilla, 1847,
and a son Merwin, born 1839, died September 15, 1841. (6) Eli bought
the old homestead of the other heirs. (7) Sylvenus, born 1812, wife
Louisa, born 1818, children L.... 1837, Louisa 1840, Rasenca (daughter)
1844 and George 1847. (8) Jesse, wife Louisa, moved away from here
very early. (9) Justus, wife Polly, daughter of Joshua and Ester Palmer,
born 1821, died June 8, 1846. Justus owned the East 70 acres in lot 17 in
the early forties. Sold to his brother-in-law, Stephen Palmer. (10)
Leonard N., born 1820, wife Anna W., also born 1820. They had a
daughter, Ellen T., born 1846.
A daughter (11) Elsie, born 1803, married David Gordon born in
Scotland in 1801. Their children were: Jane A. 1827, Russell W., 1830,
Addie P., 1832, Thomas, 1836, Sylvester B., 1840, Antojenette, 1841,
Helen M., 1844. A. son, Atwell N., born 1824, died July 16, 1827, and
was buried in the old Forbes cemetery on lot 16.
Gordon, in 1844, occupied the 60 acres on the South side of lot 25.
Henry Adle, wife Catherine, lived on lot 13 from 1813 to 1817. He died
about 1822. His children were: Henry Jr., whose wife's name was
Susanna. George, Joseph, Magdelene, Polly, Katy, John and Conrad.
Conrad was born in Lenox in 1801. His wife was Abigail Reynolds. born
1809, children, Jabos 1827, Eliza Charity 1838, Abigail 1839, Hulda A.
1841, Lucus 1843, Romaine 1844.
John Forbes was a son of a pioneer John Forbes, Sr. John Jr., was born
in Lenox in 1810 and his wife, Caty 1811. Their children were Jerome
1834, Nicholas 1838,. Abraham 1840, Eliza 1843, Ann C. 1847.
Jerome was a veteran of the Civil War. He enlisted in Co. G, 157 N. Y.
V., and was promoted to be a Lieutenant. He and Abraham were
blacksmiths. Jerome went to Nebraska in 1876 and settled at Republican
City in the southern part of the state near the Kansas line.
James F. Smith was born in Litchfield Ct., October 27, 1812, came to
Madison Co., with his parents in 1819. His wife was Lydia Ann Pace;
born in Oneida Co. in 1816. They were married in 1836, and had ten
children, four of whom were Oliver in 1880 (sic), Almira, Amelia J.,
Rufus C. and Abram B.
August 20, 1931
Lincoln Stone in Erie Canal Walls
Busy Lime Kiln and Woolen Mill Operated by Early
Settlers on Lot No. 27
What is known as the Jacob Bellinger farm occupied most of Lot No. 27 of the
Purchase of 1802. W. H. Tuttle finds this lot early a center of much business.
Lot No. 27 comprises 163acres: Seventy-five acres were patented on the East
side by John Buyea and 25 acres lying in a square in the S. W. corner by Mary
Catherine Boyer. The remaining 63 acres in the N. W. corner were patented by
Adam Boyer February 8, 1814. These three families had settled on this lot
while it was owned by the Oneida Indians.
The 25 acres granted Mary Catherine Boyer were deeded by Robert and Caty
Boyer of Manheim, Montgomery County, to Conrad Buyea March 16, 1816
for $250. Conrad and Mary Buyea deeded to David Tuttle January 21, 1818
for the same price. Tuttle had previously on March 27, 1817 bought the 63
acres adjoining of Adam and Peggy Boyer for $1,276.
The 25 and 63 acres were merged by Tuttle into one farm now known as the
Jacob Bellinger farm.
Tuttle sold to Palmer Hewitt January 6, 1823. Hewitt sold back to Tuttle
November 5, 1824. Tuttle sold to Jacob N. Forbes November 4, 1831 for
Forbes and wife, Nancy :sold to Alanson Wilcox, Sr., September 7, 1833.
Wilcox sold to Lucius Brooks May 12, 1836 for $2,900.Wilcox while he
owned the farm deeded Moses Christian 2 acres on the south side of the farm
adjoining John Buyea's.
Brooks deeded to Loyal Wilcox of Hartford, Ct., July 21, 1845. Wilcox sold to
Abraham Tuttle, October 19, 1846.
There is a large stone quarry on the farm and Tuttle furnished stone for the
state. The Erie canal was being enlarged at this time. Tuttle sold to William
Lovejoy March 31, 1858, for $3,400. Lovejoy sold to John Bellinger April 1,
1863 for $4,000.
Bellinger sold to his son Jacob, March 27, 1869, for $6,700. On the death of
Jacob, the farm was bought by his son-in-law, Edward Heslin.
The farm is now owned by Floyd Ausman.
There was a kiln on the farm where lime was burned. It has not been in
operation for many years and has now fallen down.
The 76 acres on the East Bide was willed by John Buyea to his widow and
children. Thirty-three acres was left to his son, Moses. He sold to his mother
March 8, 1847.Some was given to John Jr. with his mother having life use of
part of it. John sold to Isaac Cooper subject to his mother's use. This is now a
part of the Timmerman farm,
At the death of the widow, another son, Barney, became owner of the part in
this lot now reduced to about 50 acres.
This was later owned by Joseph Merring, a retired Methodist. minister, It is
now owned by his son, Rev. Edwin E. Merring of Syracuse and is used by him
for a summer home.
Jacob Bellinger was the son of John Bellinger. He was born in 1840 and died
December 23, 1907.His wife Cynthia Eddy born in 1844 died in 1894.They
had three daughters, Flora (Tuttle), Bernice (Heslin), and Zuma.
Palmer Hewitt, after he sold his farm in this lot, bought a part of the farm now
owned by N. Fred Chaffee. It being that part along the county road.
Lucius Brooks, born 1797, died December 10, 1855, wife Elmira, born 1801,
died January 20, 1832. Second wife, Philena, born 1803, died April 12, 1854.
A son, Charles H., born 1821, died October 28, 1844.
Lucius Brooks with his brother, Rogers Brooks came to Clockville in 1820,
and began the manufacture of woolen clothing in a factory built by John I D.
Nellis. This building was later known as the Rake factory. The Brooks
Brothers bought the factory April 10, 1822. They rented of Nellie about two
years before buying. In 1827 Brooke was sole owners. He sold to another
brother, Colon Brooks on September 18, 1830. Colon continued the
manufacture of woolens and Lucius was a salesman for him. There was still
another brother employed there. Levi, born 1813, died September 6, 1858.
Lucius was Clockville school trustee 1824-1828 and in 1836, Commissioner of
Public Schools for Town of Lenox 1838, Commissioner of Deeds, 1833-1840,
Clerk of Clockville school district 1827 and from 1832 to 1846, Supervisor
Town of Lenox 1850, Grand Juror 1826 to 1849. Brooks joined Lenox Lodge
281 F. & A. M. in 1823.
August 27, 1931
Goff Farm First settled in 1808
Hezekiah Rhoades Settled on Lot No. 28 Before War
W. H. Tuttle finds that early settlers of Lot No. 28 came from Connecticut and
Lot 28 comprises the Goff farm and part of the Batcheller farm, described
under lot 22.
The lot was settled about 1808 by Hezakiah Rhoades. He deeded John Hills 52
acres on the west side, extending from the north to south lot lines April 10,
1810, for $300. Soon after he deeded John Case 52 acres in the southeast
corner. On January 17, 1816, he sold the remainder of the lot, 47 acres, in the
northeast corner to Nehemiah Batcheller.
John Hills sold to Johnathan and Oliver Goff of Plainfield, Conn., on
September 13, 1822, for $1,500. On the same day John and Elizabeth Case
sold to the Goff Bros. for $900. The northwest corner of the Case farm was
marked by the horn of a potash kettle sunk in the road at the corners.
Johnathan Goff sold out to his brother for $1,200 on July 8, 1829. From
Oliver Goff the farm passed to his sons, Guernsey and Wheaton. The farm is
now owned by Mrs. Myra Pickard.
Oliver Goff was, born at Rehoboth, Mass., November 17, 1798, and died
October 4, 1873. His wife, Alvira Davis, born October 18, 1799, died
December 18, 1890; children, Betsy, 1827; Jane, 1828; Wheaton, 1829; Elvira,
1832; Judson M., 1831; I. Newton, 1834; Guernsey, 1840; Candice, 1843.
Jonathan Goff was born in 1801; wife, E. Jane, born in Madison County,
1818. They had a daughter, Mary E., born 1852.
Judson M. Goff was born September 6, 1831. He was a graduate of Madison
University and settled as a Baptist minister at Horicon, Wis. Afterwards at
Stillman Valley, Ill., and Chittenango, N. Y. He was made a Master Mason is
Canastota Lodge No. 231, F. & A. M., April 11, 1866, He died at Mooseup,
Windham County, Connecticut, March 28, 1874.
I. Newton Goff graduated from a college of medicine in New York city. He was
assistant surgeon in the 17th N. Y. V. in the Civil War. He practiced for many
years at Cazenovia, N. Y.
Candice Goff married Albert W. Palmer April 13, 1864, and lived on lot 31.
Wheaton Goff taught the Cottons school in early fifties.
September 10, 1931
Stanton's Farm Settled in 1814 by Lovejoys
Property Passed Through Many Hands-New Englanders Early Owners
Lot 30 was occupied in 1814 by William Lovejoy. On April 8, 1815, he sold
Jabish Gallup 22 acres in the N. E. corner for $1,000. This was the Henry Cox
place. On the same day he sold Benjamin Randall 29 acres in the S. E. corner
for $1,000. This he bought back from Randall on March 4, 1837 for $1,470.
Later April 1, 1846 Joseph S. Palmer, Executor of Lovejoy's estate, sold 17
acres of this lot to Joseph Palmer 3rd, and this is the lot owned by Leland Cox
west of his house.
Lovejoy sold Joseph Palmer 2nd, 10 acres April 9, 1818 in the N. W. corner
for $300. This is part of the H. L. Pickard farm. Stephen and Prudence Palmer
also sold Joseph 2nd 20 acres in the S. W. corner of this lot October 19, 1816,
for $500. This is now also part of the Pickard farm. It is not known whether
Stephen purchased of Lovejoy or the State.
Joseph Palmer patented 30 acres in the East side of lot 29. He had 60 acres in
Lovejoy died in 1844 and the farm passed to his son, Ralph, he deeded to his
brother William. His widow Caroline and son William P., deeded to James R.
Heslin, April 1, 1878 for $5,110. Heslin and wife sold to Norman S. Westrope
March 26, 1914. Heslin had added to the farm by buying the old Farley farm
later known as the John Buck place.
Norman S. and Nettie S. Westrope deed to Nancy E. Toby February 28, 1816.
Mr. and Mrs. Toby died and the farm was sold to Clark W. Stanton in 1926
Jabish Gallup sold the 22 acres purchased in 1815 to Moses Baldwin April 15,
1837. Baldwin sold to Loyal Wilcox for William Wilcox September 24, 1840.
Wilcox died about 1855 and his heirs deeded to his son, Ezra Stiles Wilcox in
1856. He deeded to Julianna Wilcox January 7, 1857. She sold to Henry J.
Cox June 27, 1874 for $1,650. The place is now owned by his son Leland, and
occupied by his grandson Harry Cox.
The 60 acres owned by Joseph Palmer, 2nd, being half in lot 29 and half in lot
30 was owned in the late fifties by Moses Baldwin. Later by his son, Charles
C., and now by his granddaughter, Mrs. H. L. Pickard. Palmer added 10 acres
more to the farm for it is listed in 1850 as comprising 70 acres.
William Lovejoy, Sr., was born in 1778 and died October 14, 1844. His wife,
Hepsy, born 1780 died May 13, 1864. They had three sons: (1) Philander, wife
Martha; (2) Ralph born 1805, died 1878. He married Lucy Ray, born 1800,
died February 12, 1861. They had a son Ralph Jr., born 1831, died November
18, 1850. (3) William Jr. born 1820, died 1875. He married Caroline Travis a
widow with a son Frank. She was a daughter of Sylvanus Seerer born
February 1, 1826 died at Rumsey, Cal., January 16, 1908. They had two
children, a daughter. Carrie L., died in 1857, and a son, William, was killed on
the railroad while working for the New York Central in 1879.
Benjamin Randall was the son of Amos. He was born in Stonington, Ct., in
1781, and died in Jackson Cleo., Mich., in 1852. He married Phebe, daughter
of Elijah Palmer, who lived across the road in lot 31. They were married in
Connecticut December 24, 1801. Joseph Palmer, 3rd, was a son of Elijah and
lived on lot 31.
Stephen Palmer was born in Connecticut in 1771. His wife, Prudence was born
in 1769 and died October 29, 1851. They had a daughter Apha born in
Connecticut in 1797, died September 28, 1851. She was insane. Stephen was a
veteran of the war of 1812. He later lived on lot 31. Joseph Palmer, 2nd, who
purchased of Stephen, was born in Connecticut in 1780. His wife, Abigail,
born 1790, died July 24, 1847.
James R. Heslin was born in 1847. His wife, Barbara E. Shelhammer was born
in 1851. They had five children, William, Edward, Wesley, Jennie and Blanche.
Heslin was a veteran of the Civil War, serving in the 16th N. Y. Engineers. He
was an extensive hop grower. After selling the farm he moved to Canastota.
Clark W. Stanton was the son of George Stanton. He was born and lived in
Fenner until purchasing this farm. He has three sons, Seward, Robert and
Daniel. Stanton is Superintendant of Highways of the Town of Lincoln.
Weeks 1-4 provided from copies at the Madison County Historical Society by Douglas J. Ingalls; and
transcribed by Jo Dee Frasco. Appeared previously on "A Bit of the Past," Mike Hollingsworth's site.
Weeks 5-26 provided by Donna Dorrance Burdick, Town of Smithfield Historian, from copies of the Oneida
Democratic Union at the Madison County Historical Society.